The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 14, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #3,226 of 4,580
  I really like the K7xx with my Magni 2 Uber, but I also have zero experience with any other amps.

I just got my upgraded RCA->3.5mm cable that I ordered from Amazon. I was using the cheap silver-coated cable that came with my Xonar DX, as I didn't realize the Magni didn't supply the cables/didn't think about it at the time.

Feels like there's a tad bit more clarity, but could be placebo.. either way, got a nice 6ft gold-plated cable for like $12 off Amazon. Can't be any worse than the cable that came with the Xonar lol

So if one was not going to use the pre-outs or w/e it is that the uber has, would just the magni 2 be fine for my brother with his 712's?

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,227 of 4,580

So if one was not going to use the pre-outs or w/e it is that the uber has, would just the magni 2 be fine for my brother with his 712's?

Yes. However if the PC's onboard is poor/noisy, the amp will simply just amplify that. A DAC may be useful.

I use the CEntrance DACport Slim (a DAC/amp) and I enjoy it with my K7XX. I recommend it. It's also only on Massdrop though. A friend of mine says his Schiit Fulla isn't bad with his K7XX.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #3,228 of 4,580
i think any amp/dac will do well with the k7xx. I like mine with the element. Really nice combo and the element has such a nice presence on my desk, (free) custom engraving and all

dont think you can really go wrong as such with anything. pick something that fits your budget/long term plans

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #3,229 of 4,580
The element looks to be a bit out of his price range at $300+, unless I looked at the wrong model. 

So would the E10k be a good fit for him with the 712 pros then, for just desktop use? It's cheap which is good but I don't know if it's cheaper because the power isn't as good or what.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #3,230 of 4,580
With that being said, are the 712 pro's similar enough that the same amp could be recommended for both of them?

Yes. Same impedance; same sensitivity. So the same amp should drive them to the same volumes.

Do you know anything about portable amps with built in batteries being too noisy to use while they are plugged in/charging?

I have an E12 which I often leave plugged into my Anker wall wart. Never noticed noise.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #3,231 of 4,580
Alright, so I'm about to order a microphone for my K7XX's. Since I have a mechanical keyboard with blue switches, I figure it's probably a good idea to get a mic thats near my mouth rather than a desktop mic.

Looking at the choices, it seems mod mic and vmoda boompro are the most common choices. I'd rather go with the boompro as I can detach it when using the headphones with another device where a microphone isn't required. But doing some reading the boompro isn't compatible with the AKG headphones natively, however, I did find this posted which allows you to use the boompro with the K7XX's. Few questions:

1. What options do I select on that link for each end of the adapter?

2. Is the vmoda unidirectional or omni? I'm assuming uni as is says it cuts down on background noise.

3. Any other mic I should go with in this situation rather than the vmoda? Will it be just as good as the mic on my Astro A50's?

4. I see it comes with a Y adapter. I'll need that for use with PC right, so I plug the mic end into the mic port on my Xonar DX and the other one into the speakers output port on the DX?

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #3,232 of 4,580
Alright, so I'm about to order a microphone for my K7XX's. Since I have a mechanical keyboard with blue switches, I figure it's probably a good idea to get a mic thats near my mouth rather than a desktop mic.

Looking at the choices, it seems mod mic and vmoda boompro are the most common choices. I'd rather go with the boompro as I can detach it when using the headphones with another device where a microphone isn't required. But doing some reading the boompro isn't compatible with the AKG headphones natively, however, I did find this posted which allows you to use the boompro with the K7XX's. Few questions:

1. What options do I select on that link for each end of the adapter?

2. Is the vmoda unidirectional or omni? I'm assuming uni as is says it cuts down on background noise.

3. Any other mic I should go with in this situation rather than the vmoda? Will it be just as good as the mic on my Astro A50's?

4. I see it comes with a Y adapter. I'll need that for use with PC right, so I plug the mic end into the mic port on my Xonar DX and the other one into the speakers output port on the DX?

I use the ModMic with zero problems. It is a quality product. Comes with 2 bases so you have an extra. I'm still on my first one and have used it on 4 different headphones.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #3,233 of 4,580
I use the ModMic with zero problems. It is a quality product. Comes with 2 bases so you have an extra. I'm still on my first one and have used it on 4 different headphones.

I could go with the Mod Mic I guess, but I'd need a 3.5mm extension for the microphone cable, as I don't want to reach behind my computer every time I unhook the headphones to use with my iPhone or MacBook. This wouldn't adversely effect the mic quality would it? Example setup:

PC/Xonar DX mic port --> 3.5mm extension cable --> ModMic

PC/Xonar DX headphone/speakers out --> 3.5mm cable --> Amp --> Headphones

I guess I could braid the two cables together then, and they would both plug in near the same location on my desk with the extension cable for the mic, so it would be easy to move the headphones if I needed.

Also, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes based on the picture of the ModMic, but it can fold up right?

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #3,234 of 4,580
I could go with the Mod Mic I guess, but I'd need a 3.5mm extension for the microphone cable, as I don't want to reach behind my computer every time I unhook the headphones to use with my iPhone or MacBook. This wouldn't adversely effect the mic quality would it? Example setup:

PC/Xonar DX mic port --> 3.5mm extension cable --> ModMic

PC/Xonar DX headphone/speakers out --> 3.5mm cable --> Amp --> Headphones

I guess I could braid the two cables together then, and they would both plug in near the same location on my desk with the extension cable for the mic, so it would be easy to move the headphones if I needed.

Also, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes based on the picture of the ModMic, but it can fold up right?

The base is magnetic. Here it is on my current gaming set-up.

I will eventually wrap the mic cable around the headphone cable to make it look cleaner.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3,235 of 4,580
Ohhhhh....I'm an idiot lol. I though the whole mic attached adhesively to the headphones and then had a swivel join in it. If it's magnetic then I can just take it off and leave it behind when taking the headphones elsewhere. I'll be ordering one then.

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #3,237 of 4,580
I'm gonna order an amp tomorrow unless anyone knows of any black friday sales. I can get the FiiO E12 on amazon for $130 or the FiiO A3 for $62. The E12 worth the extra cost? I can afford it no problem but only want to spend the extra if it's worth it for the K7XX's.

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #3,238 of 4,580
If portability is not an issue, then you may consider buy a Gustartd H10 with a little over $300 from Massdrop. This amp drives AKG K7xx well and it has great potential to stay with you for a long time. AKG K7xx is a good pair of phones deserving a better amp to show. 

Quote:
  I'm gonna order an amp tomorrow unless anyone knows of any black friday sales. I can get the FiiO E12 on amazon for $130 or the FiiO A3 for $62. The E12 worth the extra cost? I can afford it no problem but only want to spend the extra if it's worth it for the K7XX's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back