The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 18, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #3,241 of 4,580
Unfortunately the amp must be portable as I will be using it with my iPhone and MacBook.

So are you saying even the E12 will not be enough?

i have both e12 and e11k (A3), and i use it with my x1 or x3ii and i can tell i don't pay 130 y pay 80 for the e12 and worth i have more detail more space, better bass quantity and quality i can say you enjoyed more the e12, maybe i change the e12 for the aune b1 i love that sound but reduce a little the high end sound

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #3,244 of 4,580
I'm gonna order an amp tomorrow unless anyone knows of any black friday sales. I can get the FiiO E12 on amazon for $130 or the FiiO A3 for $62. The E12 worth the extra cost? I can afford it no problem but only want to spend the extra if it's worth it for the K7XX's.

I have the E12. It does quite well for a portable amp with the K7XX. I think it would be worth spending the extra money over the A3 as I do sometimes run the E12 near full volume with the K7XX.

Jet.com has 20% off for first time buyers with code 20NOW, which brings their price down on the E12 to $103.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #3,245 of 4,580
I have the E12. It does quite well for a portable amp with the K7XX. I think it would be worth spending the extra money over the A3 as I do sometimes run the E12 near full volume with the K7XX.

Jet.com has 20% off for first time buyers with code 20NOW, which brings their price down on the E12 to $103.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually now considering getting a second pair of headphones for use with my MacBook and iPhone, and only using the K7XX's while at my desktop. I know a lot of people hate beats, but I can get the wired Solo 2's for $97 on black friday, and they are supposed to be a good closed on ear pair of cans for music. I figure for use with my MacBook and iPhone these would be better than the K7XX's as they are closed and don't require an amp.

In this case I could get a non-portable amp. Know of any good desktop amps on sale or soon to be on sale, preferably less than $100? I'm assuming you get more power for your money with desktop amps as you aren't paying for any portability or battery components.

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #3,246 of 4,580
Thanks for the info. I'm actually now considering getting a second pair of headphones for use with my MacBook and iPhone, and only using the K7XX's while at my desktop. I know a lot of people hate beats, but I can get the wired Solo 2's for $97 on black friday, and they are supposed to be a good closed on ear pair of cans for music. I figure for use with my MacBook and iPhone these would be better than the K7XX's as they are closed and don't require an amp.

In this case I could get a non-portable amp. Know of any good desktop amps on sale or soon to be on sale, preferably less than $100? I'm assuming you get more power for your money with desktop amps as you aren't paying for any portability or battery components.

Schiit Magni 2 for $99 + shipping is a forum favorite:
http://schiit.com/products/magni-2

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #3,247 of 4,580
Schiit Magni 2 for $99 + shipping is a forum favorite:
http://schiit.com/products/magni-2

Since I will have powered speakers as well at my desktop, will using a 3.5mm splitter like this in the speaker/headphone port of my Xonar DX work? I'd then hook my speakers up to one side of it and the Magni 2 to the other side, and keep whatever one I'm not using turned off. I realize the Magni 2 uber has pre-amp outs but it's an extra $50, I'd rather save the $50 and control the volume of my speakers with their own control until.

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #3,249 of 4,580

for under a $100 I would get the original Momentum on-ear, amazon has some used-like new from warehouse deal for $95 for the black, other colors might be cheaper.  Closed, looks nice and sounds better than any Beats that I've heard.  They used to be cheaper a few months ago ($48 to 65), I guess the supply of used one is almost gone, I bought 8 of them for gifts, the used-like new come in original box and look new.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #3,253 of 4,580
honestly, there isnt a HUGE difference without an amp on my macbook pro. There is a difference, but like i said, nothing that made me say "holy crap, this opened another dimension of sound" - biggest improvement was soundstage. and ofc being able to have more control over the volume rather than pretty much maxing it out. 

am i alone in thinking this? 

Either way, enjoy it now and enjoy it a little more with the amp!

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #3,254 of 4,580
I use a fiio a3 with mine, and it's even on low gain. There are two things to consider with the amp. First is the dac output level. The odac rev b, for example, can output at 2.1v and thus doesn't really need a lot of gain with it imo. The other thing is content. I've found I had more than enough gain for music, even on low gain. For surround sound movies however, if you want to maintain the dynamics, you will effectively lose a lot of volume on the conversion to stereo. This can force me into high gain, but I'm currently just using less attenuation and running the risk of clipping.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #3,255 of 4,580
I posted some of this in the m9XX thread but I'll share here also:

The m9XX is able to power both my 400i and K7XX at the same time without problem. And I must say it makes the K7XX sound absolutely wonderful! Since I am able to switch headphones with almost no delay, it's easy to hear the difference in presentation and soundstage between the two. The 400i is very intimate with vocals and just stunning with stringed instruments. The K7XX is a very wide soundstage and just a very smooth sound all around.

It seems the the 400i can sometimes be sibilant whereas the K7XX kind of smooths over it.

Using the m9XX and K7XX and listen to Pink Floyds - Marooned from The Division Bell(remaster) it sounds as if I'm completely enveloped in the sound. It is really the first time I've experienced that feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back