The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 23, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #856 of 4,580

You've got #1373 - it's the last four digits of the number above the 1445 (mine have the 1445 as well).

The serial number is on the inside of the left headband.  It matches the H-SNo.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #857 of 4,580
  You've got 1373, not 1445.  My box also says 1445.

OK I'll buy that.  It was in my original post before my first edit.  I guess with all those numbers I just got confused.   I'll change it back.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #859 of 4,580
  Got mine today. Number 551. I definitely have rattling on the right driver when I play the following at high levels (O2 amp):  http://www.audiocheck.net/Audio/audiocheck.net_headphoneshaker.mp3

Bummer. I haven't noticed the rattling in normal usage though.

That's handy. 

I wish I knew what it was before I played it and heard nothing from my laptop speakers, then maxed out the volume, and still heard nothing, then plugged in my ATH-M50x without reducing the volume and hit play... 
basshead.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #862 of 4,580
I received mine today. Serial #1274. 

Initial Impressions

Rattle: No

Setup: Flac/Alac ->Macbook Air->Little Dot i+

Build: I am 50/50 on the build. I love the all black look. I wasn't sure I would, but I really do. It is a simplistic slick look. The pads are very comfortable. I do not like the actual quality of the build, however. The leather headband and memory foam pads are great. No complaints there, but the non-raised lettering cheapens the feel a lot compared to other AKGs. While they look slick, they also look cheap

Sound: Right off the bat, I can tell these headphones need juice. They are not forwarding sound headphones, they are definitely laid back which is a nice change from my Grado sr325i. The bass is nice. A lot of detail and extension for open headphones with a large soundstage. I am hoping it tightens up a bit though. The midrange is a bit lacking but I expected this. The vocals sound distant which, for me, can provide a nice trippy feeling to a lot of tracks that I usually like more with the Grados. The highs are great too. A bit fatiguing (hopefully that goes away with burn-in), but still detailed and crisp, although somewhat grainy at times.

Conclusion: I am impressed, but not blown away. Maybe I just prefer colored headphones as these just seem to be lacking overall and not as engaging as I was hoping. The soundstage is fantastic though. Am I dissapointed? Maybe a little, but overtime I think I will come to like these a lot and put them in my rotation as my #2 headphone's (Grado 325i -> K7xx -> DT770 Premium 600 ohm -> ATH AD700). 

I still need to try these with my Little Dot MK III and Dacmini. I am curious if the Little Dot I+ is not the best match for these

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #863 of 4,580
Quote:

Oh I'm fine. (that pales in comparison to the sort of abuse I have inflicted on my self over the years.)  They (the phones) are fine too, I just wasn't expecting what was coming because: A the laptop speakers gave NO indication, and B it rolls on slow so you don't know what you're in for until it starts to sound like you are standing next to the space shuttle blasting off.  That's the first time I've actually felt my headphones vibrate against my head.  It was pretty cool to be honest. I did it twice with M50x.
bigsmile_face.gif
  (to be sure they were ok since I was more surprised than anything the first time through.)

The K702s made it through fine too but achieved volume much later in the sweep (no rattles either so I guess I got lucky with those). 

Who says K701/K702/K7xx can't be good for dubstep?  Try that clip.  They will make your eyes water....
wink_face.gif

-edit-

Mind you, I was going straight out of my laptop without an amp.  WITH an amp, at volume, that would be trouble...

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #866 of 4,580
So i cant sleep and reading all this makes me want to open my K7XX. Had them since Monday but zi have been very busy with my 2 jobs that I have no time.

I was 17th in the drop but got #57. Ehh.

I just cant wait to try them later on tonight.

I should be resting right now....snore...ZZzzZZz

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #868 of 4,580

So I was #1424 on the deal, but got serial #1445 according to the box, which I have not opened. (anyone here born in 1445? I got your phones right here...)

You've got #1373 - it's the last four digits of the number above the 1445 (mine have the 1445 as well).

EDIT: Beat me to the punch... what Eee Pee said :)

In the sku no. 2548X00260,   the "X" means it is made in China according to AGK's numbering convention

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #869 of 4,580
I still need to try these with my Little Dot MK III and Dacmini. I am curious if the Little Dot I+ is not the best match for these

Why the i+ isn't good match for them in your opinion? It isn't powerful enough for this headphones?
What tubes did you try?
I wanted to buy this amp for this headphones as a cheap tube amp..

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #870 of 4,580
So, the masses are coming out and stating that they are getting a rattle in their k7xx on Massdrop's site. 

I'm one of the unlucky participants that have to wait for mine to come in February.

It's kind of unsettling to think that I am going to have to wait another month and a half to find out if I paid $200 and waited almost three months for a defective pair.

The head fi impressions are better than what I'm reading on massdrop however.

I hope you guys are enjoying your headphones.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back