The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 23, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #841 of 4,580
Just got mine - SN: 000960. Fresh out of the box and I think I've found my new go-to can for jazz. I'm listening to McCoy Tyner and the Latin All Stars right now and it's phenomenal. Running a chain of Macbook > ODAC > Lyr (w/ Telefunken E88CC) > K7XX. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #842 of 4,580
Why I got one is beyond me. I am suffocating in headphones.

Exactly my first thought when I received my shipping notification... after getting an Abyss :wink:
Still I'm looking forward to them, liked the AE quite a bit. Maybe they'll be a christmas gift for someone... just too good a deal to pass up.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #843 of 4,580
Just got mine in and my oh my the comfort. My Q701 took a long time to stop pinching my brain but these feel just sublime. Too early to tell but so far they have a little more bass than the Q701 which is a good thing. Can't beat the sound for $200.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #844 of 4,580

Mine looks like a fake

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #845 of 4,580
28 reporting in! So I tried them. I put them on my amp and fired up some music...but....it did not work. So then I try another pair of headphones...still not work. Think my amp died after charging it. Amp seems to be busted.

But it seems like my sound card is able to drive these pretty good, so I can still listen to them.The pads do not seems as comfortable as my dt 880s, but the headband fits pretty good and adjusts to your head pretty well.

Anyone know how Fiio's warranty is?

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #846 of 4,580
I am the very very happy owner of K7XX #184 which I've had for a few days now. 

I posted, in another thread, that I had received them and MrEleventy responded indicating they definitely need an amp and providing the following link:  http://lsirui.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/k701-vs-hd650-electrical-measurement/

Based on the findings by that author I expect the K7XX can use serious power to meet their full potential. 

Didn't know if this information is somewhere else in this thread but I thought I should post it.

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #847 of 4,580

Mine looks like a fake

I thought the same thing when I got my K702 65ths. (immediately began searching the web for pics of fakes)  Small things like the silver paint on the AKG logo (in my case it says AKG not the triple cardioid pattern) and the K702 on the center of the ear cup looked sloppy like I could have done better myself.  Typical kind of thing to look for on many fakes. The proof is in the pudding.  They sound amazing.  Listen for while, then compare to anything else you have. They should kill.  (Or be near as good as anything else you've spent $$$$ on (or maybe better in some ways) so you can tell they are not fake.  Just cheaply manufactured. The parts that need to work well work great, (sound quality and comfort)  everything else is done as cheaply as possible (with rubberbands and plastic bits) while still being functional.  These are far from masterworks of physical craftsmanship.  But they might be masterworks of acoustic engineering and ergonomic design (for working studio applications.) 

Should get mine tonight, unfortunately I will leave them unopened for a while hoping to hear from the guy with #001978 or #000078.   (check the back of your box before opening and pm me if you want to trade - I will pay shipping both ways + a finders fee for those serial #'s)

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #849 of 4,580
Just got mine in. No bass rattle, thank goodness. Serial #8xx, but the box says serial #15xx. I guess they were really rushing in packaging these up? :/

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #852 of 4,580
  lol how can they be fake when only massdrop makes them & sells em?

I think it says "Fred's Dynamic Drivers Inc." on the back of the drivers....hard to see perfectly clearly though

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #853 of 4,580
(-edit- to correct serial#)

So I was #1424 on the deal, but got serial #1373 according to the box, which I have not opened. (anyone here born in 1373? I got your phones right here...)

Front of the box

Back seal

Top seal  (these had no shrink wrap like my K702s)

These appear to have painted on logos instead of raise ones like the K702s

For comparison here are the raised logos on my K702s and the sloppy paint job on them.

Again anyone with 000078 or 001978  I'll put these in the mail to you and pay your shipping + some money for either of those serials.

ALSO - I would like to hear of more people who get different serials on the side of the box than are on the headphones.  If that is the case I have to open these up and would ask anyone I trade with to do the same... :/   But honestly I don't think massdrop was packaging these.  That would have taken an insane amount of time which they obviously didn't have.  I suppose there could be errors from the factory.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #855 of 4,580
  So I was #1424 on the deal, but got serial #1445 according to the box, which I have not opened. (anyone here born in 1445? I got your phones right here...)

You've got #1373 - it's the last four digits of the number above the 1445 (mine have the 1445 as well).

EDIT: Beat me to the punch... what Eee Pee said :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back