The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #871 of 4,580
Do we know which numbers or from number to number, are suffering from this "rattle"?

We should be taking note about this since maybe its a certain batch of headphones that are suffering from it.

I hope im not one of those (#57)

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #872 of 4,580
So, the masses are coming out and stating that they are getting a rattle in their k7xx on Massdrop's site. 

I'm one of the unlucky participants that have to wait for mine to come in February.

It's kind of unsettling to think that I am going to have to wait another month and a half to find out if I paid $200 and waited almost three months for a defective pair.

The head fi impressions are better than what I'm reading on massdrop however.

I hope you guys are enjoying your headphones.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years

Since the 2nd batch is still in production, they can probably deal with the problems before shipping out. Either test for it or proper placement of cable or sth

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #873 of 4,580
What do you mean by rattle ? The sound is a bit more grainy than for instance on my HD600 (and far more grainy than Stax's), but I don't have any rattle on the whole FR. Maybe at very high volumes I'm not used to. S/N 1332, BTW.

Ali

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #876 of 4,580
finally got mine. serial number #250!!! pretty happy to get such a nice round number.

though I don't have the q701s anymore for a direct comparison, I personally had found the q701s a bit artificial sounding, overly bright, a bit shrill at times, and lacking in bass. I still really enjoyed the q701s & they have great sound quality, but the sound signature of them wasn't a good fit for me.

the new k7xx solves all those problems. i really enjoy their slightly bassier sound signature. I find the sound signature to still be quite true to neutral. Bass is definitely not bloated or over-emphasized in any way. Pretty tight and distinct bass notes. they actually seem a tiny bassier than the he-560 from a quick direct a/b of some rap & edm tracks. sound stage of the k7xx is impressive and instrument separation is quite distinct. sound signature works well for all genres. tested with a lyr 2 & ud110v2 dac. no rattling issues reported.

comfort is excellent. very light-weight. nice memory foam pads. better headband without those damn bumps.

I personally would highly recommend these for a great sounding, very comfortable, very affordable $200 mid-fi pair of open headphones. Extremely good sound quality for the price point.

edit: I honestly just bought these on a random whim just to try & was planning on selling them discounted, but I actually quite enjoy em and will probably end up keeping these (although I definitely don't need any more mid-fi headphones). =S hahah

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #877 of 4,580
  Got mine today. Number 551. I definitely have rattling on the right driver when I play the following at high levels (O2 amp):  http://www.audiocheck.net/Audio/audiocheck.net_headphoneshaker.mp3

Bummer. I haven't noticed the rattling in normal usage though.

No rattle on serial #882. I notice some subtle artifacts in the track, confirmed with other headphones. Perhaps I'm not cranking it up enough, but it's plenty loud enough for my tastes!

How loud is the rattle vs. signal? Very noticeable?

Is everyone experiencing this find that it occurs in the right driver?

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #878 of 4,580
If you guys take a look at the massdrop comments for this item,many are saying that they are getting a sound "like a helicopter" when certain frequencies of bass are playing. I'm not trying to pee on the camp fire guys, I'm just kind of paranoid about my pair that I'll be getting in February. I'm hoping it isn't a chronic problem with these cans.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #879 of 4,580
If you guys take a look at the massdrop comments for this item,many are saying that they are getting a sound "like a helicopter" when certain frequencies of bass are playing. I'm not trying to pee on the camp fire guys, I'm just kind of paranoid about my pair that I'll be getting in February. I'm hoping it isn't a chronic problem with these cans.

I did a quick headcount & only 20 people with reported bass rattling issues. 3 with rattling on all their headphones. 1 with rattling via youtube source. A bunch of people running them unamped (though that shouldn't make a difference). 2 additional people with an unrelated different sonic complaint. 

So does not seem to be too widespread of a problem so far. Note I think only 1,930 people would have been able to received their headphones now with the 70 double shipments and I think orders above 2,000 don't ship out until february.

I won't worry about it too much. Massdrop does have a track record of excellent customer service in face of defective products.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #880 of 4,580
Why the i+ isn't good match for them in your opinion? It isn't powerful enough for this headphones?
What tubes did you try?
I wanted to buy this amp for this headphones as a cheap tube amp..

I need more time with them to really give a better impression. I am using Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes. The headphones definitely get plenty loud, but they sound a bit lacking to me like something is missing. I can't tell if it is just how they are supposed to sound or if the amp is not driving them well enough. So I am going to try the higher impedance setting on the little dot i+ and then do some A/B tests with the Little Dot MK III. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #881 of 4,580
0076 doesn't rattle and I tried at a way too loud of volume (for me, and I can do LOUD!!!).  

Paired with a Schiit Vali and these work pretty good.  Haven't put a Sennheiser on my head since Monday morning.  Like Ali-Pachu said, little more grainy than the HD 600, but I'm pretty sure that's smoothed out a touch.  Not sure, like mentioned I haven't gone back to any of my Senns since I got these... guess I could...

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #882 of 4,580

I need more time with them to really give a better impression. I am using Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes. The headphones definitely get plenty loud, but they sound a bit lacking to me like something is missing. I can't tell if it is just how they are supposed to sound or if the amp is not driving them well enough. So I am going to try the higher impedance setting on the little dot i+ and then do some A/B tests with the Little Dot MK III. 

ok, please update when you do it
i almost purchased it, but then i saw your post..

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #883 of 4,580
Out of curiosity I had a peak inside the cups.  One of the foam disks was far enough out of place that it was covering up about a quarter of the driver.  Like a quarter moon.  I also just learned it's really easy to take off and put on the pads, nice!

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #884 of 4,580
  ok, please update when you do it
i almost purchased it, but then i saw your post..

Absolutely. I should rephrase and say it this way.. The LD I+ does drive the headphones well. They sound great and get very loud but I am wondering if they are not driving them to their full potential. So in a nutshell, the LD I+ is a good pairing but I am not sure it is the best pairing. For example, the MK III drives my Grados fine and they sound great, but they just sound more refined with the LD I+. I will try the MK III later and to compare. Given that the AKG's are low-ohm headphones, I am thinking the LD I+ is driving them fine and I just need to get used to the sound. And perhaps I need to change the gain setting not the LD I+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back