The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #886 of 4,580
Recived mine today. #15xx, and definitely has a very noise rattle in right driver on this test:

http://www.audiocheck.net/Audio/audiocheck.net_headphoneshaker.mp3

However dont hear it when music plays.

Shame on you AKG. :/

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #887 of 4,580
FWIW, I heard no rattle on my set (#604, if it matters) doing that test last night at both my usual listening volume and even TWICE my usual listening volume to really exaggerate that bass.

Granted, I only used about 10% and 20% respectively direct out of the X-Fi Titanium HD, and for those of you who don't have that sound card, I should note it gets ridiculously LOUD at low volumes with headphones, hence the low percentages.

I don't have an SPL meter on hand, so I can't say how much it really is, but I figure volume/SPL levels may be important to factor in when checking for rattle. Does it even happen at low volumes?

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #888 of 4,580
No rattle, serial number 250. out of the lyr 2 (4W/channel RMS) at 3 o'clock position (75% volume). full volume out of computer & music player. that is more than twice my normal listening volume.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #891 of 4,580
Tested mine also and there is definitely a rattle in the left ear cup upto around 30Hz then it dissapears.

Such a shame as they are more analytical, well rounded bass,sparkly and have slightly more soundstage compared to my ATH AD900x.

Should I wait for the drivers to break in or is there a reliable test other than dubious youtube 5-200hz bass samples I've been using?

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #894 of 4,580
Could be clipping in the video compression. 

If you REALLY want to test it, do it with software from your own computer.  Get Audacity for free:  http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Install it.  Start it.  Make sure it finds your DAC/sound card.  Under the "Generate" drop down at the top, select "Chirp".  Set it to Sine wave, "linear", and pick your start and end frequencies and sample length.  Click "OK" and then the play button.  

I highly recommend you set the "Project Rate", in the lower left corner of the app to the highest your sound device is capable of handling.  I think it's 44,100 by default.  You can also change the generated "Audio Track" to fool around with stereo or five channel or whatever you like but for this test I think the default "Mono" is probably best (same signal to both ear phones).  
gs1000.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #898 of 4,580
I ran all the tests linked on the last half dozen posts or so, (including Audacity) on a pair of Yamaha RHM5A's, ATH-M20, and ATH-M50 and none of them rattle, even at higher than what I would consider "comfortable" listening levels.  If you are hearing it in your headphones, whatever they may be, there is either something wrong with the cans themselves or something else in the signal chain (often clipping will do things).

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #899 of 4,580
Mine were rattling...threw them hard on the basement floor...no more rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back