The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 25, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #916 of 4,580
I haven't heard the K7XX rattle myself, but I wouldn't assume that the driver itself is the cause, especially since most of the people experiencing it only hear it on one side. Many years ago I had some cheapo headphones from Radio Shack that rattled on one side during bassy passages. I opened them up and figured that one of the internal wires was touching the housing. I just moved the wire a few millimeters away, and the rattle vanished.

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #918 of 4,580
  I think you guys are over-reacting with this rattle issue. The drivers AKG uses for their k/q7xx (whole lineup) are extremely susceptible to cone breakup and distortion when playing low frequencies loudly, moreso than the majority of the headphones out there. If you look at the diaphragm membrane, you see no reinforcement (compare1 compare2) to make the membrane more rigid for the sake of reducing cone brakeup, and that's why you get the rattling/mechanical distortion. The fact that some of you only hear it when you turn up the volume sets it in stone for me. These aren't bassy headphones at all (whole lineup), despite what some people say about them (mainly referring to that ~3dB bass increase) and they never will be, nor were they designed to be.

I think you don't know what you're talking about.  If it was cone breakup the left and right drivers should do it equal or at similar volumes but that's not the case.  On my pair I don't have to crank the volume to get the buzzing.  It does at at volumes below a comfortable listening level (and I don't listen loudly).  It sounds identical to the driver mechanically hitting something as it oscillates.

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #919 of 4,580
I tried it on my Creatives as well, but did not hear a rattle, unlike my K7XX's.  I have also tried it on a couple of pairs of Q701's (no rattle) and a pair of HP50's (no rattle).  The only phones I have heard it on are the K7XX's I received.  While these are $200 headphones and not $10,000 speakers, I still find it unacceptable, and with a simple replacement, the problem is solved.  Anyways, maybe people are overreacting, myself included, but now that I am aware of the issue it's hard for me to look past it.  Still excited about the headphones though, and the all black look is pretty killer.  

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #921 of 4,580
Hey guys, quick question. I currently have the Nuforce Udac-2, but I'm looking to upgrade. The Fiio E18 can work as a dac and an amp, so I've been looking into that.

Would the Fiio E18 be enough to drive these headphones into their (almost) full potential? Both as a dac and as an amp for the Cowon J3.

I didn't want the E12 because that's only an amp... but if that's what it takes...

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #922 of 4,580
  Good guess but I would point out that if it were something as simple as driving them to cone breakup then everyone using the same tests would experience the same thing, or at least higher than the reported 1% of the drop.  The K7xyz are not "bass head" cans but they do VERY well with tight, deep, realistic bass just the same.  Even at way above "normal" listening levels.

This is a QC issue.

They do VERY well with tight, deep, realistic bass at lower volumes compared to other, more capable headphones. Because of the open nature of the K/Q7XX headphones, you get very little bass feedback, and because of that, some people are inclined to turn the volume up the hear the bass better. The downside is that these headphones perform poorly when reproducing bass at loud volumes (relatively speaking for these drivers. It's loud for these headphones, but quiet for something like the Beyer COPs). Therefore, for the people who turn up the bass too loud, it will distort earlier compared to other headphones, especially those with some reinforcement on the diaphragme membrane.

I cant agree with you. It dosn't matter that hp are bassy or not. That kind of dissortion is not acceptable.

On normal listening volume level, on this track

http://youtu.be/cQHTcJYJRgQ

right driver in my K7XX its just like "trytytytytyytyt". Thats not OK.

On K550 everything is fine, just clear, deep bass. Is K550 a bassy headphone?

You should.

I tried it, and my left channel rattles. I looked at the driver, and the left channel deforms more than the right channel. As I said, this is normal, and something like this is outside of manufacturing tolerances. If AKG had to test every driver at loud volumes, they'd be throwing away a good amount of them for the sole fact that it rattles 1dB higher than another driver. You can't get a normal listening volume on a bass boosted track anyway. When I first played it, I thought the headphones were too quiet until I heard the boosted bass. As I said, these headphones aren't designed for that type of usage. I wouldn't rank the K550 as a bassy headphone either. More on the warm side, imo. And guess what? The K550's drivers have reinforcement for cone breakup!

Standard K701 driver:

Standard K550 Driver:

As I said, AKG's K/Q7XX drivers are very delicate, and they aren't made for that kind of usage.

I think you don't know what you're talking about.  If it was cone breakup the left and right drivers should do it equal or at similar volumes but that's not the case.  On my pair I don't have to crank the volume to get the buzzing.  It does at at volumes below a comfortable listening level (and I don't listen loudly).  It sounds identical to the driver mechanically hitting something as it oscillates.

I know what I'm talking about, and all drivers aren't exactly equal. Therefore, you will have some slight variations to when the drivers start distorting. The same happens to my AD2000MKIV headphones (avatar pic), although at ear hurting volumes.

It doesn't make sense to complain about build quality of a headphone designed for listening to music when it only shows problems outside of what it was designed for; it seems these issues are only found when you play frequencies too loud that normally dont appear in music. This is why warranties only cover manufacturing errors and not misuse or normal wear and tear.

This is another good post. I completely agree.

Driver matching for channel balance =/= driver quality.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #923 of 4,580
I cant agree with you. It dosn't matter that hp are bassy or not. That kind of dissortion is not acceptable.

On normal listening volume level, on this track

http://youtu.be/cQHTcJYJRgQ

right driver in my K7XX its just like "trytytytytyytyt". Thats not OK.

On K550 everything is fine, just clear, deep bass. Is K550 a bassy headphone?

You should.

omg..... distortion on a youtube track means nothing. most youtube source files have distortions and if you use a nicer pair of headphones, you will be able to hear the sound quality problems on youtube easier.

distortion during a song doesnt mean headphones are broken. more likely bad source file. the bass rattle test needs to be done with high quality source files designed for this.

lol... im gettin the feeling that a portion of these bass rattle slash sonic issues complaints are just from people using terrible source files. terrible source files are going to sound terrible. it's not the headphone's fault. omg, please dont use youtube as a source or example for distortion. *facepalm*

edit: i listened to that track & there are cymbals playing in the right channel that show up throughout the track that make that sound. at point timestamp are you hearing issues with that track? you should really just do the bass rattle test with actual test tones lol

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #924 of 4,580
omg..... distortion on a youtube track means nothing. most youtube source files have distortions and if you use a nicer pair of headphones, you will be able to hear the sound quality problems on youtube easier.

distortion during a song doesnt mean headphones are broken. more likely bad source file. the bass rattle test needs to be done with high quality source files designed for this.

lol... im gettin the feeling that a portion of these bass rattle slash sonic issues complaints are just from people using terrible source files. terrible source files are going to sound terrible. it's not the headphone's fault. omg, please dont use youtube as a source or example for distortion. *facepalm*

So use this

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/subwoofer.html

or that

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

or any 30hz - 80hz wav track u can find.

What the difference? Rattle is on any sample with low freq i play on 7XX.

Give me that "high quality source files designed for this" so i can try it on my HP. Even that dissorted youtube sample plays totally fine on K550!

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #925 of 4,580

It doesn't matter what the quality of the track is. If your driver distorts, it distorts, and it's easily distinguishable from the type of distortion you get with low quality files. You don't need flac material to reproduce it. Crappy quality youtube vids are more than enough to make these headphones distort as long as you have an amp capable of making the drivers distort before the amp starts clipping.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #926 of 4,580
@Trae, so if its normal for this drivers (for me it is not) - why only few users of K7XX have this problem, when other ~95% K7XX pairs dont have any rattle? Much of them propably dont even know about it.

So, u think AKG wont replace or repair my headphones?

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #927 of 4,580
  @Trae, so if its normal for this drivers (for me it is not) - why only few users of K7XX have this problem, when other ~95% K7XX pairs dont have any rattle? Much of them propably dont even know about it.

So, u think AKG wont replace or repair my headphones?

1. Said owners aren't obligated to comment on public forums complaining about what they're hearing.
2. They probably don't listen loud enough for them to hear it.
3. Some of them (like me) knew what they were buying beforehand, and know the general nature of open headphones (weak bass performance). Though, there are some outliers that can perform very well when it comes to bass at loud volumes.
4. Some of them have weak amps, and what they're hearing is clipping. The k/q7xx headphones require high amounts of voltage AND current to get to a good volume level, and low power amps will have trouble driving them.

AKG will probably acknowledge your problem, but if they test that it's within manufacturing tolerances, they might do nothing, and if they do, you have a 50/50 chance that the replacement will exhibit the same characteristics. There's no telling that you'll get a matched driver, either. I'd put an issue like this more along the lines of luck of the draw. Some drivers inherently perform better than others.

In my perspective with the K7XXs I got, the left channel performs 100% within manufacturing tolerances, whereas the better right channel exceeds that. If you want some headphones that will put out some bass without distorting, get headphones that are suitable for that type of thing because these aren't it.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #928 of 4,580
So I just opened up my K7XX and plugged it into my phone, listening to Michael Bublé and OMG it sounds really good and probably the most comfy headphone I have ever worn.

So far no rattle, well have not played any loud music other than listening to this Bublé Christmas album.

But who cares, the music sounds so good with these.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #929 of 4,580
I've been listening to these headphones with this EQ I made for a while, and I thought I'd share it with you guys. When I first listened to them, it sounded like there was something missing, and this eq fills in that gap. I think it sounds really nice now.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #930 of 4,580
So I just listened to another song Daft Punk- Doin it Right, and well, I heard some alightl rattling but just barely, when the low end kicks in but other than that everything aounds good. I was still using my phone but also used my Fiio E11. But the only reason I heard some rattling was because I switch from EQ0 to EQ2 which increases bass. Also, it could be the song, which probably didnt donwload right or my phones DAC or anything else that may make it sound rattling and probably is just some distortion.

Ill be testing it out on my PC with the Sound Blaster Z and some BF4 :)

Oh and Merry Christmas to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back