The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Dec 23, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #826 of 4,580
  If someone from Europe recived a parcel, pls post info here.

Shipped on 17th, received today, I'm in France.
#490 in drop, #1332 received (I don't care at all).
No customs whatsoever.

First impressions on sound, compared to my HD600 :
- brighter, without any doubt
- high mids / highs have kind of grainy aspect. Fun, but maybe fatiguing...to be tested on more long runs.
- a bit more bass extension
- better soundstage
- less body / "oomph"

Very (very) comfortable.
No angle on the pads.
Build quality a bit cheap...not very confident with the tiny bungee ropes holding the headpad on both sides.
Strong "new item" smell, coming from the pads (glue ?)

Ali

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #827 of 4,580
  Shipped on 17th, received today, I'm in France.
#490 in drop, #1332 received (I don't care at all).
No customs whatsoever.

First impressions on sound, compared to my HD600 :
- brighter, without any doubt
- high mids / highs have kind of grainy aspect. Fun, but maybe fatiguing...to be tested on more long runs.
- a bit more bass extension
- better soundstage
- less body / "omph"

Ali

That's pretty fast, thanks!
I hope i get mine in Poland before christmas too! I was #440.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #828 of 4,580
  Got my K7XX set (#604) a few hours ago!

First impressions are pretty much that it has what I liked about the K612 and K712 I auditioned a while back. Supremely comfortable, a sound signature that doesn't put me off, spacious soundstage for gaming, and it actually doesn't sound half bad driven directly from my X-Fi Titanium HD!

I'd say this set's a keeper. Just need one of those AKG mini-DIN -> BoomPro adapters I've heard about, and I could have a cleaner headset setup than the ModMic I have stuck to it right now.

I like both K612 and K712, different favor/taste though.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #829 of 4,580
After receiving my K7XX I plugged them directly into my Sony VAIO laptop and ran some frequency test files to check for rattling. Nothing abnormal detected.

Next I listened to some music, mostly FLAC files, some mp3s, swapping back and forth between the K7XX and AD700. I prefered the K7XX by a wide margin. They sounded good even with onboard sound.

Later I played Destiny on the Xbox One using a Mixamp Pro 2014. I started with the AD700 since I was in party chat and haven't set up the mic on the K7XX. Afterward, I tried the K7XX. I had to turn the volume knob to nearly the half-way mark to get the same level of sound that I get from the AD700 at the 1/6 mark. I expected this.

Right away I noticed the different sound signature. It wasn't offensive or displeasing, but my brain couldn't pinpoint things as precisely. Also, the sound seemed not as forward as the AD700, if that's what I was experiencing - I'm a novice when it comes to audio terminology. I'll also need more time comparing the two to be able to more accurately discern the differences. As a result I was more focused on the different sound than immersed in the game. I wasn't expecting this based on how much I enjoyed listening to music with the K7XX. 

I've been using the AD700 for nearly 4 years so I assume (I hope) that my brain has to get used to the K7XX. Is this likely the case? I'm also hoping that an amp, like the Schiit Magni 2/Magni 2 Uber, will improve the sound considerably over the Mixamp alone. Reports that the Magni 2 Uber provides a larger soundstage are promising.

ya takes a few days to get used to a new sound sig. i think some sort of entry level amp/dac would be beneifical for rhe higher impedance akgs.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #830 of 4,580
Got mine yesterday but was too busy to try them out, just opened the box and gave them a once over. So, brought them to work this morning ready to try them out with my HRT Music Streamer II and JDS cMoyBB amp and...

CRAP, left the f'ing cable at home! 
angry_face.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #831 of 4,580
I got a notification that my copy was delivered to my work yesterday. I will go and retrieve it when I get there. Why I got one is beyond me. I am suffocating in headphones.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #832 of 4,580
Mine just arrived :D :D

I was the 98th participant and I have serial number 54, not that this matters of course but sorry participant 54 :p

Immediate impressions are that the earpads feel larger (width) compared to the foam ones on the Q701, my ear does touch the fabric inner liner depending on the angle too.
Side by side switching between Q701 modded and K7XX there is an audible difference. My Qs are well burned in and sound really sweet with richer subbass. The bass is less on the K7XX, I notice the bas sports are stickered up just like stock Q701 so I may bass port mod them if the bass is still less once they've had 50-100 hours of use. I recall the Q701 sounding similar when new too.

The K7XX headband is smaller and more comfortable too which is nice.
Soundstage seems similar in width on both but dare I say it there is a bit more higher end pop (the good kind) in positioned instruments (key track where it is noticed = Glass Animals - WYRD), I get the feeling once I've become accustomed to this signature the K7XX will overtake the Q701 modded for me in terms of an intimate sound especially given what I am hearing out of the box.

Pics:

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #833 of 4,580
Any rattle in yours MRK? All, whats the consensus regarding how these compare to the 712pro?

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #838 of 4,580
Left these running with pink noise overnight. Sounds smoother. I'm starting to like the sonic signature. It's more forward sounding than the HD650's. The sibilance has diminished, hoping it disappears with enough time. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #839 of 4,580
Is it normal for your ears to touch the inner-pads on these? To clarify, by inner pads I mean the part covering the driver, not the perimeter. I don't have this problem with my Fidelio X1s, even though the pads on the K7xx seem larger.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #840 of 4,580
Okay the K7XX is definitely exhibiting more detail "pop" than the modded Q701s. I also tried the Q701 earpads on the K7XX and the sound is not as good but only by a bit compared to the Q earpads on the Q. I also noticed the foam inserts are different on the K7XX, both the inner earpad ones and the ones behind the little cover bearing the K7XX logo on the back of the earcups:

The K7XX (right) has more air pockets to allow better breathing, I guess this is why the memory foam earpads don't affect the wide soundstage like they did when I used them on the Q701 because you're getting even less breathing room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back