The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #4,112 of 6,345
They just upgraded the base model to the 4490, and added a multi-bit upgrade option. There's an article on the front page of the site, and on Schiit's site.

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #4,113 of 6,345
I'm thinking to buy these headphones but I won't be able to buy a decent amp in a couple of months and I know I won't get the 100% of these, but my question is:
 If I drive them without an amp there is a risk that can get damaged?.
 I'm a total audionoob

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #4,114 of 6,345
  I'm thinking to buy these headphones but I won't be able to buy a decent amp in a couple of months and I know I won't get the 100% of these, but my question is:
 If I drive them without an amp there is a risk that can get damaged?.
 I'm a total audionoob

No problem. Just use common sense.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #4,115 of 6,345
My friend came over last night with his recabled akg 712 headphones. He has had the phones for awhile buying them after I lent him my old audtrian made k 701s for a week. His phones may  still need some seasoning . But it was interesting to hear the difference between my ancient  k701 with thousands of hours of use on them. Break in definitely made a huge difference on the old k 701. People are not  patient anymore and probably jumped ship with the k 701 before it was sufficiently fleshed in . But hearing my friends recabled  k 712 with a bit of break in time was interesting. I have changed the plug on my old k 701 to good effect after having tripped on the headphone cable and losing the signal on my k701s. I had the plug changed to a furutech fp 704 stereo plug. The change was much for the better. But hearing the difference between my old k 701 and my friends k 712 was pretty obvious. My old k 701 sounds much more analytical than my friends recabled k 712. The bass boost is very obvious and the 712 sounds more smooth. But while the old k701 may have less bass the bass it does have is probably tighter than the k 712s bass . It seems to me that while the new k712 is easier to listen to it may not be as accurate sounding as my older  k701 . Plus the sensitivity on the newer k 712 is a bit higher . My old k 701 is very picky about what amp you use with it. I use a old burson ha-160 and it works pretty well. But when I use my old concept 16.5 recapped vintage monster  receiver the sound of my k 701 and lcd2 has much greater drive capability and sounds a lot more powerful . I guess horsepower does make a difference. with headphones. The old k 701s are a pretty demanding headphone to drive which is probably why so many people did not like it. They were probably using an amp that was not suited for them .
  I had not used my lcd2 v2 for awhile. They are definitely not the most comfortable headphone for long term listening especially in the summer. Hearing the difference between them and the both the k 701 and the k 712 was interesting. While the bass on the k712 is ok the bass on my lcd2 was noticeably more powerful and had noticeably more authority. And the midrange with vocal recordings on the lcd2 was much more beautiful sounding than either the k 701 and the k 712 . They really do remind me of the magnepan speakers. My lcd2 has been recabled with a cable pro revere headphone leash. But the recable was not cheap costing me over 600 usd. But the stock cable on the audezes really holds the performance of the audeze headphones back a lot. Their stock cable is not really very good which you will hear when you upgrade the audeze cable which is an absolute necessity with the  audeze headphones . Now that fall is here I will be listening to my lcd2 with more regularity .I guess absence really does make the heart in this case the ears fonder .

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #4,116 of 6,345
  I'm really thinking on buying these cans, but how is its durability?

It's not made from any of the materials that we associate with high-grade such as metals.  However, it's made very good quality plastic.  The quality is noticeable and doesn't feel cheap. There is none of the creaky-ness made from cheap plastic products.  The wire connecting the two driver housings is probably metal.  It's got a fair bit a flexibility in it. 

It's not going to survive a beating however, like most electronic devices, they're actually quite delicate. 

Only issue I have is the silver letters 'K712' on the centre of the headphone seems to fade over time.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #4,117 of 6,345
i must say my high hopes are slightly let down with the k712 pro, im not going to sell it, theerial number is low 3942 maybe it just needs more burn in.

comparison to my 7 bump Akg k701 Serial Number 15236 W/ bass modded,Outter Grill Foam Taken out,Driver Foam Left In and it has the stefan arts eraquoix Cable, this Headphone is something to reckon With, ThIs headphone is EXTRMELY clean, its like looking through a window outside, everything is bright, crisp, clear, once you heard it, its what you come to expect. even given the fact that the mids and highs are so clear the bass is actually decently pronounced, now not saying its basshead but its quality, tight and everything has great separation. 

now i was think, ok the k712 pro must at least be somewhere near this level, now grant it, its not bad, the bad is really nice, but its really warm,warmer than i thought it would be, this is like looking through a window with it closed, it suprised me. now i will say that it has great quality in, every aspect and its what you would come to expect from AKG it just really suprised me.

now taking into all thing, and consideration, i have never heard the HD800 however alot of reviews that people do say it sounds ALOT like the hd800 SO that might be the missing link as to why i am so thrown from the sound signature.

and just for reference what im listening these through are

ipod 7th generation 160gb classic
Cypher Labs Theorem 720 dac
ALO Audio MK3-B
ALO Audio SXC-24 Ipod Dock to USB Mini A
ALO Audio SXC-24 Balanced to 3.5mm

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #4,119 of 6,345
yeah, i am going to do probably 200-300 hours and see.

what did you find in the burn in that made a difference, also what did you use to burn them in just your regular music or pink or white noise?

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #4,120 of 6,345
I don't recall how I described the K712 at the time.  (tight sounding, harsh ?)   Before burn-in my K702 sounded a lot better, more relaxed and musical than the K712.  After burn-in k712 sounded relaxed, very musical, warm, lush, detailed, clear . . . way better than the K702

I use IsoTek system enhancer for burn-in on any new gear, and periodically on headphones, and IEMS.  White noise is next best IMHO

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/isotek/cd.html

Actually I found it helped to play an hour or two of music, (after long burn-in periods), using white noise or IsoTek.  That seemed to restore a more musical quality to the sound.

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #4,121 of 6,345
  now taking into all thing, and consideration, i have never heard the HD800 however alot of reviews that people do say it sounds ALOT like the hd800 SO that might be the missing link as to why i am so thrown from the sound signature.

Wait you heard that the HD800 sounds a lot like the K712? And I was considering it as my next upgrade...

Between the HD800 and the T1, I wonder which one sounds more different from the K712...

Oct 23, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #4,122 of 6,345
I read somewhere from Jason on a thread somewhere that the AKG's like the high voltages of the Schiit Valhalla/Valhalla 2. Is this true. Has anyone tried the AKG K712s on the Schiit Valhalla 2 and do they run well on these two amps? Thanks.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #4,123 of 6,345
I haven't tried either of them so can't be of much help, but my USB-powered HP-A4 can drive the K712s just fine.
As you mentioned, the Valhalla 2 page on the Schiit site does encourage you to run it with AKGs.

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #4,124 of 6,345
In case this helps anyone: I use the Schiit Vali with my AKG K712 Pro's and find them to be a great combination for the price.

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #4,125 of 6,345
Sequel to my last post.  After emailing and being ignored by the AKG rep (Hector E Hernandez) I sent a few emails to some of AKG's other contact addresses to ask for an exchange instead of spending more money and waiting for another "repair."  I told that I would receive help on Thursday October 22nd, and am eagerly awaiting some proper help.  Has anyone else been able to exchange their headphones for a new pair after receiving unfixed ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back