The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3,526 of 6,349
Haven´t bought them yet, thats why i said "seem to have", and its actually based on other people impression, but if i had them i guess i would use my pc with spotify, horrible source

If I were you, I will definitely avoid Spotify. The files there sound dark-ish and drowning feeling to me.

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #3,527 of 6,349
If I were you, I will definitely avoid Spotify. The files there sound dark-ish and drowning feeling to me.

I KNEW IT WASN´T JUST ME. I always thought that spotify wasnt as good as most people tell you. Thing is, i had to erase all my music collection just to have memory space in my computer, which is something i regret. When i get some memory space, i might stop using it, but spotify also gives you a huge music collection, so its very hard to decide if i should just stop using spotify or have a balance

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #3,528 of 6,349
I KNEW IT WASN´T JUST ME. I always thought that spotify wasnt as good as most people tell you. Thing is, i had to erase all my music collection just to have memory space in my computer, which is something i regret. When i get some memory space, i might stop using it, but spotify also gives you a huge music collection, so its very hard to decide if i should just stop using spotify or have a balance

I am currently using Tidal. It streams at 1411kbps. Works almost the same as Spotify but better in sound quality. Library wise, the Spotify being more popular, will for sure have more collections than the Tidal but not by much. :)

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #3,529 of 6,349
I am currently using Tidal. It streams at 1411kbps. Works almost the same as Spotify but better in sound quality. Library wise, the Spotify being more popular, will for sure have more collections than the Tidal but not by much.
smily_headphones1.gif

how much do you have to pay? monthly? yearly? Im interested

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #3,531 of 6,349
I have been going back and forth between Spotify Premium and Tidal for over a week now and am trying to decide which one to stay with. There is a little more extension in the highs with Tidal and it just feels more alive. However, this is a very minimal difference to my ears and I'm not sure it's worth an extra $10/mo. over Spotify. In addition, Tidal does not have the music selection or user playlists like Spotify Prem.

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #3,532 of 6,349
I have been going back and forth between Spotify Premium and Tidal for over a week now and am trying to decide which one to stay with. There is a little more extension in the highs with Tidal and it just feels more alive. However, this is a very minimal difference to my ears and I'm not sure it's worth an extra $10/mo. over Spotify. In addition, Tidal does not have the music selection or user playlists like Spotify Prem.

I see Tidal improving pretty fast. Hopefully they will add that to the upcoming release. Also, offline mode for desktop please! :)

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #3,533 of 6,349
Couple of words about metal music + AKG K712 PRO. (Summary on impressions on metal + almost 60 cans is here http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution) 

AKG K712 PRO

Initially I had an idea to listen 712 in comparison with 812, but at the first test it became clear that there is no sense in such a test. 812 and 712 are animals of obviously different levela (a top top level and a top middle level) and different character (ultra-bright with an average soundstage and darkish with a wide scene). Next I tried to compare 712 to Denons D600, again it made no sense, at fast switch from cans to cans it was too obvious, that D600 have very "non-flat" character. As a result I listened 712 in parallel with Senns 650. And in my opinion result are not in favor of 650, objectively, without discounts for a personal taste.

The character of cans a bit darkish, cool (as a matter of a fact I expected something brighter), fast and accurate. Relative darkness doesn't affect resolution, detail level is quite high. Mids are natural and have cold spirit. Soundstage is wide, not such a stadium as Senns 800 have, but scene is much wider than average, cans are airy . Headphones have enough bass for heavy genres, often there was a wish to get more slam, but generally we have enough of low frequencies. It seems reasonable to assume, that increase of bass pressure would lead to problems with a soundstage air

Positive
Symphonic: Natural niche for 712. Very broad soundstage, moderately sparkling treble, cool mids, adequate bass and flat overal balance.
Power: Space, speed. Compact and quite sufficient bass. Bit of brightness for fun. 
Industrial: Accurate and cold. Nice infrabass extention. Quantity of a bass - good or great? Perhaps Ultrasone 2900 Industrial interpretation is better, but if you to compare to any other middle level colleague - it's perfect.
Sludge, Stoner: There is no such a hard requirements to quantity of a bass as on Doom. Great mids, wide soundstage and easy sound flow make gestalt response with genre.
Black: Perfect - accurate, quick, with great bass control. It would be possible to add some punch on low frequencies, but then "air" would dissipate perhaps.
Progressive: It is predictably great. Vast soundstage, cool, technically perfect. 

Negative
Doom: There is no enough bass concentration (surprisingly just a little).
Death: Somewhat strange, but even more sharp transients, than 712 have, would be welcomed here and it would be great to add some bite at treble.
Grindcore: Here we seriously lack the bass slam, a wide sounstage becomes an obstacle for great Grindcore performance.

Overall, in my opinion, 712 today are the best cans for heavy genres on the middle level.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,534 of 6,349
  I have a somewhat urgent question for everyone who has owned this can.  I recently purchased these headphones and have been very pleased with their sound, but notice that I can make the really deep bass distort horrifically with a few songs.  Has anyone else had this issue, or do I have lemon?  I'm definitely thinking about returning them, but need to find out if this is a normal issue and whether I should re-purchase them, or move on to something like the HD650's. I only have a few days left in my return window... 
confused_face.gif

The tracks that cause the issue include:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2IlehSR5zM

and 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_soLG38kJak

(Distortion around 00:40 through 00:50.... and yes, the distortion comes through even with the youtube video.) 

Feedback would be really appreciated! If this is the norm AKG has got some problems. My NAD HP50's have no distortion problems at all with these tracks. 

I just received my k712's yesterday and unfortunately have the same problem that you describe. The distortion happens on tracks with heavy bass and kick drums. It's so bad that they are basically useless. It's happening on the right side only, while the left is fine. Does anyone know if this distortion goes away after further use? I am thinking this is a manufacturing defect. If anyone else is experiencing this problem, please chime in. Thanks!

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #3,536 of 6,349
  I just received my k712's yesterday and unfortunately have the same problem that you describe. The distortion happens on tracks with heavy bass and kick drums. It's so bad that they are basically useless. It's happening on the right side only, while the left is fine. Does anyone know if this distortion goes away after further use? I am thinking this is a manufacturing defect. If anyone else is experiencing this problem, please chime in. Thanks!

Hi Pardon

Could be the phones.... but the most likely culprit may be that your amp that is being over driven if you're listening too loud.
What are you using to power the K712s, source, amp?

Robert

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #3,537 of 6,349

Hi Pardon

Could be the phones.... but the most likely culprit may be that your amp that is being over driven if you're listening too loud.
What are you using to power the K712s, source, amp?

Robert

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I contacted AKG tech support and they said I most likely got a defective pair of headphones. I returned them to the seller for an exchange. Hopefully things will be better the next go round. 
Cheers

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #3,538 of 6,349
Any other music video link i can check for headphone distortion? The 2 links above are no longer working.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #3,540 of 6,349
Q701 pads are angled...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back