The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #3,511 of 6,345

I assume your post was directed to my last posts. Mine is the K712 pro. I was saying that AKG may limit for their anniversary edition. But for model 702, I see no reason to limit its production unless no more people are buying it..

Some things to clarify:
1. 3000 units for the 702/65th does not necessarily mean that serial numbers run from 0001 to 3000, because there are some prototypes, some internal test products and others that don't leave the AKG factory after their QC process.
2. The importance of serial number in the 702/65th is because initial production units had different pads. New 702/65th share the same pads with the AKG 712 pro. And some people suggest that the pads alter the sound substantially, so, newer and older annis sound different.

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #3,512 of 6,345
I've just bought myself a new pair of K712, and received them today in the mail.

I was so excited at first – but I've been left surprised (and extremely disappointed) to find that is seems there appeared to be a defect in them. It's a small thing, but very important, I feel: 

The sponge that is supposed to be between the fabric cover and the speaker inside the left ear cup is actually not there. It's just the speaker, directly covered with the fabric, with the sponge bit very obviously missing. You can clearly see the speakers in the ear cup through the fabric on the left side (the right side is perfectly normal, with the sponge in).

I have a pair of Q701s and both ear cups have sponges between the fabric and speakers, so I am assuming the missing ear cup sponge in these K712s is a defect.

However, I just want to double-check this is definitely the case before I call the company I bought them from and request a replacement/refund?

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #3,513 of 6,345
  I've just bought myself a new pair of K712, and received them today in the mail.

I was so excited at first – but I've been left surprised (and extremely disappointed) to find that is seems there appeared to be a defect in them. It's a small thing, but very important, I feel: 

The sponge that is supposed to be between the fabric cover and the speaker inside the left ear cup is actually not there. It's just the speaker, directly covered with the fabric, with the sponge bit very obviously missing. You can clearly see the speakers in the ear cup through the fabric on the left side (the right side is perfectly normal, with the sponge in).

I have a pair of Q701s and both ear cups have sponges between the fabric and speakers, so I am assuming the missing ear cup sponge in these K712s is a defect.

However, I just want to double-check this is definitely the case before I call the company I bought them from and request a replacement/refund?

There is supposed to be a foam disc over each driver. It is odd it's missing like that. Sounds like a manufacturing mess-up. Maybe you can call AKG for a replacement foam disc which they should supply for free because it's a manufacturing error or contact the company you bought it from about replacing the K712.

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #3,514 of 6,345
Try remove the pads in a twisting motion, the foams could be misplaced to one corner or something :)

Some things to clarify:
1. 3000 units for the 702/65th does not necessarily mean that serial numbers run from 0001 to 3000, because there are some prototypes, some internal test products and others that don't leave the AKG factory after their QC process.
2. The importance of serial number in the 702/65th is because initial production units had different pads. New 702/65th share the same pads with the AKG 712 pro. And some people suggest that the pads alter the sound substantially, so, newer and older annis sound different.

You just said what I wanted to say. Thanks! :)

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #3,515 of 6,345
Has anyone swapped a pair of 701 pads onto the 712? The flat nature combined with the memory foam filling is causing me discomfort after 30 minutes of listening. The only discomfort I ever had with the 701s was the headband bumps after about an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The two types of pads have a very different feel, and I agree the 701 pads were fairly comfy while the stiffer 712 pads just do not sit as well and have a tendency to slip if one has longish hair, also mine currently co-exist with the Sennheiser HD700s which are tighter fitting and envelope my ears better, so the HD700s feel more secure.

As for using the K712 pads on the 701s…..

Well eat my hat and chuck me in the river, I should have done this right from the start and feel really stupid.
Swapping pads between the K701’s and K712s more or less leveled the playing, meaning the K701s with the new 712 pads, for all intents and purposes, now sound like the 712s, including the bass and the well worn 701 pads on the K712s has given them all the negative attributes I noted earlier on the K701s.
I know new/different pads can make a difference, but the change was startling!
Now to go crawl in a hole somewhere and re-read all 217 pages of this thread.
redface.gif

I do not know if it’s the controversial “break in” but I’m finally staring to really like the sound from my K712s, and where previously they played second fiddle to my HD700s I now find myself gravitating more to the K712s, not only because the sound being less aggressive with bad recordings but also for their perceived spaciousness and air between instruments and performers.
Despite the unyielding stiffer pads on the 712s over the 701s, the K712s are for me a much more rewarding listen over the stock  701s, the much appreciated lower and fuller bass augmenting the wider and airy sound stage of the previous K701’s signature sound round out things quite nicely, and as quoted above the results should be very similar using the 712 pads on the 701s.
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #3,516 of 6,345
There is supposed to be a foam disc over each driver. It is odd it's missing like that. Sounds like a manufacturing mess-up. Maybe you can call AKG for a replacement foam disc which they should supply for free because it's a manufacturing error or contact the company you bought it from about replacing the K712.

Don't AKG have quality control??? Seriously.

I sent them back to the shop today.

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #3,518 of 6,345
  Some things to clarify:

It seems that production of the k702 65th Anniversay Edition was limited to 6000 units, not 3000:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626971/akg-k702-65th-anniversary-edition/2685#post_9540313

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3,519 of 6,345
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPRL8mj24a8

This dude in the video describes the K712 as "a poor man's HD800" ,is that true? how close are they to the HD800?
I had the HD800 in the past, loved them but had to sell them, and then i got the K701 and sold them also, didn't like the sound so much.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #3,520 of 6,345
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPRL8mj24a8

This dude in the video describes the K712 as "a poor man's HD800" ,is that true? how close are they to the HD800?
I had the HD800 in the past, loved them but had to sell them, and then i got the K701 and sold them also, didn't like the sound so much.

Well I find the K712 fixes much of the problems with the K701. It's not overly bright anymore, it has more warmth and bass. The soundstage doesn't have any center staging issues anymore though isn't as wide, it's more musical, and I personally find it slightly more refined.

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #3,522 of 6,345
So, is the O2/ODAC A good combo for this? Are there any other better options in that price range? I know nothing about tube amps so don't suggest them please

Go for the tube amps. :p Jk

I used to pair mine with FiiO E07K/E09K combo and they offer enough warmth to the headphone. For the price, you can't go wrong with them. Only thing is the E09K's power cord is super short IMO

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #3,523 of 6,345
Go for the tube amps. :p Jk

I used to pair mine with FiiO E07K/E09K combo and they offer enough warmth to the headphone. For the price, you can't go wrong with them. Only thing is the E09K's power cord is super short IMO

Interesting. I really don't want to sacrifice the detail whoring and treble K712 seem to have, but maybe a little warmth wont harm

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #3,524 of 6,345
Interesting. I really don't want to sacrifice the detail whoring and treble K712 seem to have, but maybe a little warmth wont harm

No worries. I am sure that the FiiO stacks does not take away any natural detail but the stack does not offer any extra boost in details either. Treble wise, the FiiO stacks is a ted darker. What are you currently using to drive your K712 thought?

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #3,525 of 6,345
No worries. I am sure that the FiiO stacks does not take away any natural detail but the stack does not offer any extra boost in details either. Treble wise, the FiiO stacks is a ted darker. What are you currently using to drive your K712 thought?

Haven´t bought them yet, thats why i said "seem to have", and its actually based on other people impression, but if i had them i guess i would use my pc with spotify, horrible source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back