The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #3,541 of 6,349
This thread is quite long and i don't know how to search through it so i apologize if this has been asked before. Just got a pair of K712 and realized that my FiiO X3 is not sufficient enough to drive them on its own - even with boost on and bass/treble boosted as well. It produces sound out of them but does not make them sing :)

So i was wondering a cheaper amp like FiiO E09 would do justice to them? I had a FiiO E9 at one point for my Denon 5K and was pretty happy with it. So anyone tried these phones with the E09?

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #3,542 of 6,349
This thread is quite long and i don't know how to search through it so i apologize if this has been asked before. Just got a pair of K712 and realized that my FiiO X3 is not sufficient enough to drive them on its own - even with boost on and bass/treble boosted as well. It produces sound out of them but does not make them sing :)

So i was wondering a cheaper amp like FiiO E09 would do justice to them? I had a FiiO E9 at one point for my Denon 5K and was pretty happy with it. So anyone tried these phones with the E09?

Not sure if this helps but when I had my Q701's I used the fiio e09k + e07k combo to drive them and it did a pretty good job. Plenty of volume without having to use any gain and I was able to crank the bass to the max and really make them slam with no distortion.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #3,544 of 6,349
I have a really serious question. Im on the verge of buying these headphones, but i have a problem. I wont be able to have an amp, at least not when i get them. My source would be (i think it might be this, we´ll see) a fiio X1 playing FLAC files. Really would enjoy any feedback

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #3,545 of 6,349
Do they fit on the K712's? 

All K7xx pads fit into any K7xx pads.
I have a really serious question. Im on the verge of buying these headphones, but i have a problem. I wont be able to have an amp, at least not when i get them. My source would be (i think it might be this, we´ll see) a fiio X1 playing FLAC files. Really would enjoy any feedback

You wont be able to get the most out of it but you can definitely try. :)

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #3,546 of 6,349

Q701 pads are angled...

Do they fit on the K712's? 

Almost all AKG pads are interchangeable in that design they have: k400, k401, k500, k501, k601, k612, k701, k702, k702 AE, k712... Whew that's a list! 

I sometimes toss mine on a zune HD. It's not as good as having a really powerful amplifier, but it won't sound awful. Just know there will be more to get out of them with a little more juice 
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #3,547 of 6,349

If you plan on upgrading your amp in the future then the X1 will do a decent job till then. If not i would look for something a little easier to drive.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #3,548 of 6,349

If you plan on upgrading your amp in the future then the X1 will do a decent job till then. If not i would look for something a little easier to drive.

Of course ill buy an amp in the future, Keyword future

I sometimes toss mine on a zune HD. It's not as good as having a really powerful amplifier, but it won't sound awful. Just know there will be more to get out of them with a little more juice 
wink.gif

Could you define "powerful"? What do you use? this HP has relatively low impedance so i doubt you need a ragnarok

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #3,549 of 6,349

wink.gif

Could you define "powerful"? What do you use? this HP has relatively low impedance so i doubt you need a ragnarok

Although it has a fairly low impedance it does actually take quite a bit of power to sound good. Kind of like orthodynamic headphones. I've always had a K701,K702,Q701, or K712 on hand since 2009 or so and really the best amplifier I've heard it out of is the Schiit Vali. The Vali just compliments these headphones in many ways, it's a great match. I also think the M-stage is a good choice as well, but it's not quite as sweet of a spot as the Vali.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #3,550 of 6,349

Although it has a fairly low impedance it does actually take quite a bit of power to sound good. Kind of like orthodynamic headphones. I've always had a K701,K702,Q701, or K712 on hand since 2009 or so and really the best amplifier I've heard it out of is the Schiit Vali. The Vali just compliments these headphones in many ways, it's a great match. I also think the M-stage is a good choice as well, but it's not quite as sweet of a spot as the Vali.

sorry, not prepared for tubes. I was thinking about the O2/ODAC because ive heard it adds detail, and that sounds interesting

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #3,551 of 6,349
Originally Posted by Gamingmusiclove /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sorry, not prepared for tubes. I was thinking about the O2/ODAC because ive heard it adds detail, and that sounds interesting

The O2 and ODAC are definitely good performers, if that's the price range you're looking at eventually. No amplifier or DAC will "add" detail, but it will reveal details in the recording you may not have heard. I don't know if the ODAC will really be a jump over the SQ of your Fiio X1 though. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #3,552 of 6,349

The O2 and ODAC are definitely good performers, if that's the price range you're looking at eventually. No amplifier or DAC will "add" detail, but it will reveal details in the recording you may not have heard. I don't know if the ODAC will really be a jump over the SQ of your Fiio X1 though. 

very interesting thoughts. I have never heard a high end DAC so i can´t tell how do they compare to the x1. There is one problem though, and that is connecting the O2 to the X1,and it would be kind of unconvinient

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3,553 of 6,349
From what i've read the X1 has a pretty good internal DAC its just let down a bit by its internal amp. All you really need is an amp with a bit more grunt than the X1. You could always stick with Fiio and grab the E09k which has plenty of juice to drive the AKGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back