The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Sep 27, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #886 of 2,849
I have the same problem with big ears. The K550 has huge ear pads but small ear cavity. I solved my problem by using LCD2 ear pads which are the same diameter 110 mm

how does the lcdpad affect the sound in your opinion?

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #888 of 2,849
  Anyone else hear similarities between this and the K272HD? I hope treble sounding like TV static isn't some sort of AKG signature by now.

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-K271-MKII/dp/B0016MOC28/ref=pd_cp_e_0

i had the removable cable version once..i think the k550 is more spacious sounding ..more comfy. 
i didnt have problem with spikes on the k271mk2 then, didnt find myself trying to tweak that can.
if i were to keep an akg again, i would likely keep this 271.

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #889 of 2,849
Got these last week and really surprised at how good these are.  I was completely expecting them to be a downgrade from the Q701 seeing as the US prices for the K550 are really jacked up compared to European prices.  (Q701 is £220 and K550 is £130)  Switching back and forth between the two, the Q701 sounds diffuse, and the K550 so much clearer and with more sparkle.  Q701 is still better for classical music, but I prefer the K550 for most music that I've tried.  I also have an HE-500 which when I got I expected it to render everything else obsolete, but which has not been the case.  It sounds much more realistic, but provides almost too much information at times.  The AKGs seem to present the music in a much more concise and purified form. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #891 of 2,849
Agree on the piercing highs. I can listen to music for hours on all my headphones except the K550. After 5 minutes I can't take it anymore. SOmething is hurting and I'm pretty sure it's the too little distance of my ears with the drivers. WIll try the mod you guys are talking about.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #892 of 2,849
Hi every1. I got my K550 today and had it for a listen.
Initially I was having fit issues, and the bass seems somewhat shy... However after adjusting position for a while, seal worked for me.
The bass was fairly deep and energetic, the highs is crispy as I wanted, but mids is the region that I have to get into further critical listening. Rock music performed the best.

Soundstage is epic for closed headphones, but no headphones surpass my HD800 in terms of sound field and imaging( open vs. closed, that's stupid!)

In short period of use, I got a list of pros and cons for K550:

Pros: Bass, detailed, neutral sounding, and great soundstages for closed.

Cons: annoying pads, non-detachable cable

Sources used: iPod Classic 160g + HiFi M8 - 2ohm output, low gain.

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #893 of 2,849
popcorn.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #894 of 2,849
Trying them with the new LCD pads now.... The piercing highs are still noticeable but nowhere as much of a problem as before. Would it be because the ears are slightly less close to the drivers? Very comfortable too.... The headphones are kinda cheap for what they can offer. It just seems to me they need a few tweaks for the fit. Better pads, better headband and a look on these irritating highs would make these the best headphine under 500. Cause seriously, when you get a proper fit, these sound great.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #895 of 2,849
I just want to reply to all the comments relating to "piercing highs"

The only reason I enjoy AKG (Q701, K701, K550, K551) I owned them all, is that they have that boosted treble/presence region. I love that, without it, I don't think I'd even bother with AKG.
It just makes the sound so exciting and beautiful for me.

So for all those that hate this feature and thinks the company should "do something about it", some people like myself actually enjoy this, so its not a "problem" in the headphone.
It's just "not for you"

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #896 of 2,849
  I just want to reply to all the comments relating to "piercing highs"

The only reason I enjoy AKG (Q701, K701, K550, K551) I owned them all, is that they have that boosted treble/presence region. I love that, without it, I don't think I'd even bother with AKG.
It just makes the sound so exciting and beautiful for me.

So for all those that hate this feature and thinks the company should "do something about it", some people like myself actually enjoy this, so its not a "problem" in the headphone.
It's just "not for you"

The problem is it's just a problem with the K550... I have other AKG headphones and don't have this problem....

The problem with the K550 is the fit. The pads surely have something to do with it too...

My K702, K240s, K271 MKII, K450 don't have this problem at all...

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #898 of 2,849
Any chance you could post a pic? Also, how much does the fit change, since the LCD pads are much larger than the 550 pads?

Hard to tell exactly how the fit changes. The LCD pads are angled and very confortable. I believe my ears were closer with the original pads as I remember I couldnt listen for more than 5 minutes due to the pain the highs were creating. Have had the headphones on my head for an hour now and get no discomfort at all. Highs still there but less damaging (probably 80% less damaging I'd say). I will try to post pics tomorrow.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #899 of 2,849
Hard to tell exactly how the fit changes. The LCD pads are angled and very confortable. I believe my ears were closer with the original pads as I remember I couldnt listen for more than 5 minutes due to the pain the highs were creating. Have had the headphones on my head for an hour now and get no discomfort at all. Highs still there but less damaging (probably 80% less damaging I'd say). I will try to post pics tomorrow.

Thanks! I have the original lcd2 pads on my audezes, but I've been thinking about getting the new softer ones, and if I do I'll give this mod a shot.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #900 of 2,849
Thanks! I have the original lcd2 pads on my audezes, but I've been thinking about getting the new softer ones, and if I do I'll give this mod a shot.

This is exactly what I did. The fit (physically) is easy since both ear pads are 110 mm in diameter. Most circular ear pads of a circumaural design tend to be 100 mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back