The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Oct 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #916 of 2,849
If any of you uses spotify, I just noticed the compression algorithm they use in the streaming produces "enhanced" treble when compared to FLAC or properly ripped mp3 version of the same songs. I tested playing the FLAC/mp3 both with iTunes and with Spotify itself (it can also play local files), with the same results.

So listening to Spotify through the K550, or any other headphones with a lot of treble and resolution might reveal these artefacts added by Spotify and produce piercing and hurting highs like I've been experiencing.

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #917 of 2,849
I've never heard the AD700 before so I can't make any comparisons. But, I can say that the k550's offer excellent detail retrieval and have a very spacious soundstage. There are times when I'll be wearing them at work (a testament to how well they isolate) and I'll swear that I forgot to mute the computer's built in audio and that music must be coming out of both the speakers and headphones, but when I take them off there's nothing coming from the computer, it was just the 550's ability to sound so open even though it's closed.

The AD700s do have a slightly bigger driver that the K550 but only by 3mm and I am not sure that it is the size of the driver that makes a big difference in the soundstage. The AD700s have a very good "sence of surround" if you know what I mean. You can hear instruments playing from behind you, in front and all over. It is so like surround sound. I am just wondering that if the K550 is closed back, do you still get that feeling that the music is surrounding you?

From what you have said, it does sound like these headphones do a very good job of stopping the sound leaking out of them and at the same time, good isolation to stop noise from outside getting in.

Thanks

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #918 of 2,849
  The AD700s do have a slightly bigger driver that the K550 but only by 3mm and I am not sure that it is the size of the driver that makes a big difference in the soundstage. The AD700s have a very good "sence of surround" if you know what I mean. You can hear instruments playing from behind you, in front and all over. It is so like surround sound. I am just wondering that if the K550 is closed back, do you still get that feeling that the music is surrounding you?

From what you have said, it does sound like these headphones do a very good job of stopping the sound leaking out of them and at the same time, good isolation to stop noise from outside getting in.

Thanks

I guerss you could look at review comparing the AD700 and the AD900 as I have listened to the AD900 for 6 years (about 20 hours a week) and would say their sound signature is quite different from the K550. The soundstage and instrument seperation is much better than on the K550. The K550 is much more harsh on treble and has much better low end (Audio Technica bass is almost non-existent). If harsh treble doesn't irritate you and you don't mind sacrificing soundstage and instrument seperation for better bass and isolation, then you can go for it. Comfort can also be an issue on the K550 (pads and earpressure too low for some). I got new LCD pads that manage this issue very well. K550 is quite good for its 180 dollar price tag if you want to know my opinion.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #919 of 2,849
  I guerss you could look at review comparing the AD700 and the AD900 as I have listened to the AD900 for 6 years (about 20 hours a week) and would say their sound signature is quite different from the K550. The soundstage and instrument seperation is much better than on the K550. The K550 is much more harsh on treble and has much better low end (Audio Technica bass is almost non-existent). If harsh treble doesn't irritate you and you don't mind sacrificing soundstage and instrument seperation for better bass and isolation, then you can go for it. Comfort can also be an issue on the K550 (pads and earpressure too low for some). I got new LCD pads that manage this issue very well. K550 is quite good for its 180 dollar price tag if you want to know my opinion.

Thank you for this information.

I was at one point wondering about the AD900 but I really don't think that I want open-back headphones when I next upgrade. I would like to be able to play music without other people hearing it all the time! I love the treble that the AD700s produce even though quite a few people do think they are a little harsh. At times, even I do think that, but my Fiio E11 headphone amp, as I siad, does a very good job at reducing the harshness of the treble a little. I really don't think that I would find the treble of the K550 too much at all considering how bright the AD700s are. (I don't think that I have heard treble that is as bright and detailed on anything else). What I am looking for is a similar amount of treble, quite a lot more bass and a closed-back design.

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #920 of 2,849

Thank you for this information.

I was at one point wondering about the AD900 but I really don't think that I want open-back headphones when I next upgrade. I would like to be able to play music with out other people hearing it all the time! I love the treble that the AD700s produce even though quite a few people do think they are a little harsh. At times, even I do think that, but my Fiio E11 headphone amp, as I siad, does a very good job at reducing the harshness of the treble a little. I really don't think that I would find the treble of the K550 too much at all considering how bright the AD700s are. (I don't think that I have heard treble that is as bright and detailed on anything else). What I am looking for is a similar amount of treble, quite a lot more bass and a closed-back design.

How about DT880 with leather pads? Audio-Technica also has alternative like the a900x.

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #923 of 2,849
DT880 are around 50 dollars more than the K550 and putting leather pads on them almost annihilates any sound leakage. And they provide much better sound than the K550 in my opinion.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #925 of 2,849
http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=81347&vpn=491322&manufacture=Beyerdynamic&promoid=1313

249.99 CAD free shipping

In USD that makes 243.085 USD

A suggestion: Never buy headphones on amazon unless it's amazon.com. Their only good deals are for US customers.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #926 of 2,849
  http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=81347&vpn=491322&manufacture=Beyerdynamic&promoid=1313

249.99 CAD free shipping

A suggestion: Never buy headphones on amazon unless it's amazon.com. Their only good deals are for US customers.

I bought my AD700s from amazon.co.uk and the price at the time was £87 which was very little compared to the other places that sold them.
I am hoping not to buy my next pair of headphones from amazon but from a local store. There is one store quite close to me that sells the K550 and they say that the lowest price is guaranteed. They are £130 on amazon.co.uk which I think looks like great value.

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #927 of 2,849
Well, if your store prices the K550 higher than 110 GBP than they are not the lowest price. As I can see, stores in the UK seem to overprice everything by 30%. Go on ebay and send offers to razordogaudio, he'll do the best price you can find for AKG, Beyer, Sennheiser....

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #928 of 2,849
Same in Canada, best price I've ever seen for the 550s was 180$ and for the 880s it's 250$.  I don't think you can compare both though, even with the leather pads I'd guess the leakage of the 880 would be quite a bit greater than the 550s.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #929 of 2,849
  Same in Canada, best price I've ever seen for the 550s was 180$ and for the 880s it's 250$.  I don't think you can compare both though, even with the leather pads I'd guess the leakage of the 880 would be quite a bit greater than the 550s.

Razordog had the dt880 for 240 quite recently. Should come back soon. We'll eventually see them for under 200 in 2 or 3 months I suspect.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #930 of 2,849

249.99 CAD free shipping

Before suggesting not to buy headphones from amazon.co.uk and recommend other dealers you should consider the location of the buyers and that amazon.co.uk offers the shipping costs for most products.
None of the sellers you recommended ships from the EU which means extra shipping time, and extra, unpredictable, customs fees.

K550 for 130£ 
DT880 for 299£
Both shipping included from amazon.co.uk

Please let me know where you can find them cheaper in Europe.

PS: Also interested in Sennheiser HD600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back