The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jul 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #736 of 2,848
Finally a Ear Pad Replacement for these K550!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headphoneque-Replacement-Ear-Pad-for-AKG-K-550-K-551-Headphones-/130952131017?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item1e7d5af1c9

I think this is one of the first repalcement ear pads I've ever seen on the internet.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #737 of 2,848
I want to buy these headphones but I have a Cowon C2 with no line out. Cowons are reported to have really good internal amps, but would I benefit much from an external amp? If so, should I double amp or take it on the chin and buy a new DAP with line out?

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #738 of 2,848
Quote:
I want to buy these headphones but I have a Cowon C2 with no line out. Cowons are reported to have really good internal amps, but would I benefit much from an external amp? If so, should I double amp or take it on the chin and buy a new DAP with line out?

Well, the K550 is 32 ohm, so it doesn't take much to drive; I have used it straight out of my iPhone with no problems. However, I am no amp expert, so while I can tell you that you don't need an amp, there might be some out there who will tell you that the K550 would benefit from one.

I also feel safe telling you that, if you're planning on using the K550 primarily on-the-go, you might want to look elsewhere.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #739 of 2,848
are u able to bring yor cowon to a nearby shop n try it out on a k550?
if that is not possible, then buy a USED k550, and take a chance.
The rewards are great if it fits your face and matches your taste in music.
if not, sell it. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #740 of 2,848
Well, the K550 is 32 ohm, so it doesn't take much to drive; I have used it straight out of my iPhone with no problems. However, I am no amp expert, so while I can tell you that you don't need an amp, there might be some out there who will tell you that the K550 would benefit from one.

I've used my K550s with quite a few devices. They are fairly easy to drive. I agree. I wouldn't worry about whether or not the Cowon C2 will drive them.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #741 of 2,848
I've tried them and it's a definite buy for me, but I'm not able to compare them with the cowon amped vs unamped at the moment. Nor am I able to compare them with cowon unamped vs a different DAP amped. Really I'm just wondering about the double amping issue and how it would compare to a DAP with a dedicated line out.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #742 of 2,848
just hit the buybutton then, and wait for the next boy to walk by at the library with his portable amp :p

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #743 of 2,848
Hmm. Do I dare? I guess I'm just trying to make sure that I'll be able to squeeze the maximum amount of SQ from them with my current setup, maybe with a Fiio E11 for example, without needing to buy a new DAP with dedicated line out.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #744 of 2,848
Quote:

I also feel safe telling you that, if you're planning on using the K550 primarily on-the-go, you might want to look elsewhere.

I disagree. The K550 does not sound so good straight out of my iPhone 5 (dark, recessed) but a small desktop headphone amp will be sufficient.
Then again, I could be slightly deaf from hours of listening with those phones on...

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #745 of 2,848
Quote:
Hmm. Do I dare? I guess I'm just trying to make sure that I'll be able to squeeze the maximum amount of SQ from them with my current setup, maybe with a Fiio E11 for example, without needing to buy a new DAP with dedicated line out.

If you have tried the K550, and you know you like them, buy them. Use them with your current DAP and listen casually. If you like what you hear, then you're done. If you feel like something is amiss or lacking, then start looking into other options (be it a DAP or amp). Don't get lost in the gear; music ( / audio) is the reason we're all here. Focus on being happy.

end of 2¢

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #746 of 2,848
Thanks. That's a wise sentiment. Unfortunately due to serious ocd issues I'm not comfortable buying anything unless I know I'll be able to enjoy it at its absolute optimum. It's kind if why I was attracted to this hobby in the first place. I certainly don't want to spend £140 on something I'll listen to only casually.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #747 of 2,848
Quote:
(...) unless I know I'll be able to enjoy it at its absolute optimum.

Thats a dark road you're heading down here :wink: It may lead to greater expenses than £140...

Nevertheless your ears and taste are the final word on how much you enjoy something. Listen and try out -- I'd say you can hardly sketch out *your* perfect system on paper / by reading a forum. There is much less absolute knowledge than might seem upfront... many things come down to taste. Its about enjoying music after all :)

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #750 of 2,848
After owning the K550 for a month or so I did a comparison with my other (beloved) headphones, the Beyerdynamic DT-990. I have used the Beyers for a couple of years and never really understood why people call them bright, but after having only listened to the AKG's for the last month... I understand why people think they are bright! Or maybe the K550's are on the "dark side"? I still love the Beyers but I think the K550's have a much more relaxed sound, which I might prefer... for the moment at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back