The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jun 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #691 of 2,841
nope, this can is still v clear...nothing muddy or muffled, giv it a try.

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #692 of 2,841
Hey there K550'ers!

I currently own a Grado SR80 (for home) and V-moda m80 (for portability).  

The AKG K550 sounds like the perfect blend of the two.

I found myself not using the Grado's much because of the comfort issue, plus it starts to feel too warm on my ears.

Plus it'd simplify my life to just have one headphone.

So would it be worth it for me to get rid of the Grado and V-moda and get the K550?  I'm assuming it's got all the low-end of the V-moda, but all the open-ness and detail of the Grado.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #693 of 2,841
Quote:
Hey there K550'ers!

I found myself not using the Grado's much because of the comfort issue, plus it starts to feel too warm on my ears.

So would it be worth it for me to get rid of the Grado and V-moda and get the K550?  I'm assuming it's got all the low-end of the V-moda, but all the open-ness and detail of the Grado.

Some of the low end Grados actually sound incredible for the price. Too bad they are not built for portability.
They have to seriously re-design the whole thing. All American branded headphones seem to follow
Grado in terms of physical design: Hifiman & Audeze. Curious?

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #694 of 2,841

While they do have good detail resolution, I wouldn't describe them as just as "open" as the Grados. Although they do have a bigger soundstage than other closed headphones.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #695 of 2,841
Quote:
Hey there K550'ers!

I've never owned the M80 (or the K550, for that matter, but disregard that), but I understand that it is a very rugged and portable headphone. The K550 is very well built, so durability shouldn't be an issue, but I don't think it was designed to be portable in the same way as the M80. Likewise, cel4145 is correct in his comment regarding the SR80.

So, I think you could consolidate and just buy the K550, but understand that it will be a sort of "jack of all trades, master of none" situation. If possible, I would try out a K550 to see if it adequately suits your needs before selling off your other headphones. You might even be able to find someone on the forum willing to loan you a pair.

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #696 of 2,841
Quote:
So, I think you could consolidate and just buy the K550, but understand that it will be a sort of "jack of all trades, master of none" situation. If possible, I would try out a K550 to see if it adequately suits your needs before selling off your other headphones. You might even be able to find someone on the forum willing to loan you a pair.

Thanks!  I'll probably wait then for the SF Audio Meet in August to try one (if they have one).  I called a local high-end audio store and they said they know no one who stocks AKG's in the SF.  What a bummer! 
size]

PS -- Yeah, I don't want a "master of none" situation.  I guess I'll make do with my current arrangement.  Until...some new and extraordinary headphone comes on the horizon.   
size]

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #697 of 2,841
Quote:

Thanks!  I'll probably wait then for the SF Audio Meet in August to try one (if they have one).  I called a local high-end audio store and they said they know no one who stocks AKG's in the SF.  What a bummer! 
size]

PS -- Yeah, I don't want a "master of none" situation.  I guess I'll make do with my current arrangement.  Until...some new and extraordinary headphone comes on the horizon.   
size]

Sure thing. Just to clarify: The K550 is a very good headphone, IMO. In this case, I referred to the "master of none" situation only in regard to it's "openness" vs. the Grado, and it's portability vs. the V-Moda. So far as I know, there will be no headphone ever that can excel at both of those qualities simultaneously; the two are kind of mutually exclusive.  :wink:

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #698 of 2,841
....somehow i still think this k550 has ALOT of potential to be tweaked to your liking.
the 50mm bass, if u get it right..it carries some slam...
the highs are there, u can tame it if u need to..
the pads can be upgraded..to v comfy lambskinsss.
the soundstage is huge..
its easy to power..
u can change the cable if u are a DIYer..
u can paint it if u are a painter...
u can throw it around..built like a tank
u can throw in a tube amp :p
180-200bucks
tongue.gif

my point is ...u have a good basic can to work with;
vs some other closedcans...with floppybass...small soundstage...small cups...etc

if u are not prepared to mod it a little, then its a hit n miss situation.
beerchug.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #699 of 2,841
Quote:
....somehow i still think this k550 has ALOT of potential to be tweaked to your liking.
the 50mm bass, if u get it right..it carries some slam...
the highs are there, u can tame it if u need to..
the pads can be upgraded..to v comfy lambskinsss.
the soundstage is huge..
its easy to power..
u can change the cable if u are a DIYer..
u can paint it if u are a painter...
u can throw it around..built like a tank
u can throw in a tube amp :p
180-200bucks
tongue.gif

my point is ...u have a good basic can to work with;
vs some other closedcans...with floppybass...small soundstage...small cups...etc

if u are not prepared to mod it a little, then its a hit n miss situation.
beerchug.gif

Perfect timing! I got the K550 a few days ago to replace the Pro 900 as my portable can and I love them! However, a pad upgrade would be really beneficial. I love something that would be able to seal better as I've noticed it is somewhat difficult with the stock pads. What are my options? I'd like something that won't render them useless as portable headphones. Would LCD-2 pads work? The angled pads might have an interesting effect on the soundstage. Anyways, let me know and thanks for any help!

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #700 of 2,841
Quote:
Perfect timing! I got the K550 a few days ago to replace the Pro 900 as my portable can and I love them! However, a pad upgrade would be really beneficial. I love something that would be able to seal better as I've noticed it is somewhat difficult with the stock pads. What are my options? I'd like something that won't render them useless as portable headphones. Would LCD-2 pads work? The angled pads might have an interesting effect on the soundstage. Anyways, let me know and thanks for any help!

Before you go out and buy new pads, have you tried the mods in the OP (esp. dxanex's)?

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #701 of 2,841
Quote:

Before you go out and buy new pads, have you tried the mods in the OP (esp. dxanex's)?

Immediately after I posted that I did a google search and found the original mod by Curly. I am in the process of putting the pads back on, they look great! I dxanex had a great idea but it isn't ideal (practically and aesthetically) for me to put rubber bands around the pads--I know, I care about looks.

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #702 of 2,841
Wow, the difference that made was day and night! The seal is sooo much better. I can't believe how bassy these phones are now! The soundstage is also more airy, I suppose that is attributed to the increased distance in the driver from the outer ear.

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #704 of 2,841
Quote:
Wow, the difference that made was day and night! The seal is sooo much better. I can't believe how bassy these phones are now! The soundstage is also more airy, I suppose that is attributed to the increased distance in the driver from the outer ear.

so u used the LCD2pads?  
k701smile.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #705 of 2,841
Quote:

so u used the LCD2pads?  
k701smile.gif

Nah, I used the cotton pad-stuffing technique and it worked very well! I am astounded how much it opened the soundstage up. Sounds unbelievable for closed HPs! The seal is still a little finicky but all in all it is much better. It translates to hearing the full sonic potential of the K550s without constant adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back