The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jun 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #661 of 2,841
Quote:
Q701 retails for alot more that $270 doesn't it?

anyway I have seen net prices on these for as low as $199 and know I can buy them from Axe Music in Canada currently for $220.

The MSRP is something like 500$, but I never see them go above 280 on Amazon, I got mine in Used- Like New condition for 175$.
If I end up liking these 550s, I'll probably return them when they cost less money and buy them again.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #663 of 2,841
Quote:
Is there anyone else who also finds the k550 to be a bit dark sounding?

They don't feel warm due to the spike in the mid-highs. Also the high frequencies don't seem to be clouded by the bass, so, it's not dark in that sense. 

However the sub bass is stronger and goes deeper then usually, which could contribute to the sensation of darkness.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #665 of 2,841
Well, I just got these in the mail from Amazon. Amazon Prime 2 day shipping is so great 
biggrin.gif

First impressions- They do in fact sound very open, almost as much so as my Q701s.
I've been wearing them for about an hour and a half now, and I have no comfort issues at all, but I do have a rather large head, and the bumps on the q701s caused me no discomfort either.
Now I'm not the best at describing sound and such, bit of a newbie in that field, but I'll try. I'll be comparing them to my Q701s as a reference.
Bass- It's there, but not much more so than my 701s when they're amped. These don't seem to scale all that well with more power, and there isn't much of a difference in control or bass between an E6 portable amp and my E9 desktop amp, unlike my 701s.

Mids- Nothing of note here really, they seem like typical neutral (with the exception of that upper mid peak) AKG mids. If anything, they're less involved and colder than the 701s. 

Treble- Ouch. I have a lot of subpar/amateur recordings in my music collection, and these headphones are just harsh with anything that is either badly mastered or just has a lot of treble. It extends nicely on well recorded songs, and seems very detailed, but it can just be painful, sharp, and overall not fun sometimes. 
Compare this to the Q701s, they still have that extension, but they never have harsh treble, regardless of what's playing, assuming they're amped. I know these aren't going to compare because they're closed, but it still bothers me nonetheless, considering I ended up paying more for these than the 701s.

I still haven't burned them in, but I'm not a big believer in that anyway.
Worth the money? I honestly don't think so, of course I bought them for a lot more than what they usually go for. I was looking to get something that was maybe a bit bassier and slightly warmer than the 701s, since they're missing that sort of musicality, but I suppose I'll have to look elsewhere.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #666 of 2,841
Quote:
I still haven't burned them in, but I'm not a big believer in that anyway.
Worth the money? I honestly don't think so, of course I bought them for a lot more than what they usually go for. I was looking to get something that was maybe a bit bassier and slightly warmer than the 701s, since they're missing that sort of musicality, but I suppose I'll have to look elsewhere.

LOL, this time they'll make you believe. ; )

The burn-in is nite and day. Especially the bass, from faint to bone shaking...

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #671 of 2,841
ya i always tot the ipad is a musical wonder under-discovered. 
ph34r.gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #672 of 2,841
I must say though, these cans are absolutely beautiful with classical music. Definitely on par with or better than my 701s.

UPDATE- I'm starting to like these more than the 701s... I burned them in for a few hours with pink noise, and they have maybe 12 hours on them now. The bass has already started to pick up. There was a noticeable change from just about 3 hours of pink noise, but unfortunately, they aren't as open sounding as the 701s, which isn't surprising in the least since they're closed.
I was thinking, would something like a ZO2 amp boost the bass on the 701s to the level of the K550s? 

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #673 of 2,841
Quote:
I was thinking, would something like a ZO2 amp boost the bass on the 701s to the level of the K550s? 

I have A/B numerous times between K550 and Q701 using E17. It seemed that the bass boosted on K550 is of lower frequency giving more impact while Q701 are of slightly higher frequency where it is louder but less impactful.

If you perform some critical listening, you may notice Q701 has higher resolution and detail in the treble range. While K550 comparatively is a little less resolving, ie sounds doesn't sounds as true. But you have to be really picky and focus to pick out the difference. (cymbal, hit hat...)

The above observation is subject to change as it is based on a pretty well seasoned K550 and a fairly new Q701.

Also, K550 is less picky in listening environment. I can completely immersed and enjoy the smooth and clear sound anywhere. While for the Q701, because of the open nature, the sound signature changes drastically depends on background noise, type of room, size of room .....

Both HP are wonderful!

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #675 of 2,841

i posted this b4....v effective.
cut out a thin felt n put it behind the driver after unscrewing the 4 or 6 screws..cant remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back