The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jun 12, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #646 of 2,849
Quote:
Anyone can recommend a way to modify the K550 to fit a standard mini XLR for balanced cabling?
I did ask some of these guys who provide recabling service and they only do a proprietary mod,
meaning you can't use a 3rd party XLR cable once the mod is done.

One way is to cut the cable without opening the cans and attach the mini xlr to it, maybe not as pretty as built in in the earcup, but much easier.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #647 of 2,849
I made a thread in the for sale section... You said below 100, you got served...

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #656 of 2,849
It may seem self explanatory, but here is a question. The k550 is sometimes vibrating on my head (very mildly) while playing some bass heavy songs. Is that an indication that i got a good seal?

Sounds like you might be getting some of those <30hz bass notes. Probably a good indication :)

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #657 of 2,849
About the balanced amature Question. I posteted a mod for a replacable cable some month ago in this thread. You can see the some pictures in my profile. I don't know if I mentioned it these days, but the 3.5 mm female plug I used in the headphone has 4 pins. So you can make  a cable or an adapter with an 4 pin 3.5 mm male plug and any other plug you want to drive it balanced. when you take a 3.5 mm standard cables with 3 pins left an right mass signal of the drivers are shortcut by the male  plug of the cable. So you can use it with any "normal" cable on a portable device. I don't own any balanced equipment, but I thought with this mod it would be easy to drive it balanced just by using a diffrent cable  when I have the opertunity once.

And to answer the question about the original cable. The ground cable of the right canal is solderd to the ground panal of the left driver. the original cable has just 3 lines.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #658 of 2,849
Quote:
when you take a 3.5 mm standard cables with 3 pins left an right mass signal of the drivers are shortcut by the male  plug of the cable.

Thats a nice idea actually... and an elegant solution to the problem of different setups.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #659 of 2,849
So I just picked these up on Amazon for 270$, and I could swear I saw them for a LOT less earlier, but I unfortunately don't have time to wait for them to go down since I'm leaving for vacation, so I may end up returning them after and buying for less.
That being said, how much do these typically go for? I honestly can't see them being 100$ better than my Q701s.

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #660 of 2,849
Q701 retails for alot more that $270 doesn't it?

anyway I have seen net prices on these for as low as $199 and know I can buy them from Axe Music in Canada currently for $220.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back