The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Aug 9, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #2,476 of 2,841
Hi,
I need a closed phone .... I prefer lot of isolation. Can anyone comment on that, maybe some comparison? I have only had Mr. Speakers Alpha prime closed phones. Very good at isolation ... looking for something similar in terms of isolation, but cheaper and possible to drive from phone.
Thanks for reading this.

(I listen to classical and jazz mainly)

cheers

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2,478 of 2,841
I have recently put a new headband from a different brand on the K55s that actually feels nicer than the original. I will upload pictures of that later. But I do actually like the original earpads
Its not that i dont like the original earpads, which i do, its that they dont like me.. They start off extremely comfortable, but then after a few minutes they start to get very hot. They dont breathe, and if i wear them for any amount of time my ears start to feel like theyre sticking to the insides of the pads, even after i give the pads and my ears a clean wipe down.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,479 of 2,841
Hi,
I need a closed phone .... I prefer lot of isolation. Can anyone comment on that, maybe some comparison? I have only had Mr. Speakers Alpha prime closed phones. Very good at isolation ... looking for something similar in terms of isolation, but cheaper and possible to drive from phone.
Thanks for reading this.

(I listen to classical and jazz mainly)

cheers
Oh man i love my primes! but no the isolation of the k550s does not match the Primes. Funny you should mention because they have a very similar sound signature even though one is planar and one is dynamic. The Primes are much better though.

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #2,480 of 2,841
Well, here are my K550s with this new headband: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headband-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

DSCN6801.JPG

DSCN6804.JPG

It came with 6 poppers to hold it round. With all 6 on, it is too wide for the K550s unless you have them on size 13 all the time! I cut the 2 ends off so I was just left with 4. I cut right at the edge of both. This is now exactly the same width at the original pad and allows the headphones to be anywhere between size 1 and 13. I used to use it on 7 with the original pad but as this is thicker, I used it on 8 now but it is useful being able to put it back to the minimum size to save space in my bag. You may just about be able to see in the top picture that I am using some black PVC tape to seal where I cut the 2 ends off the headband. This hides the white foam inside quite nicely. It was lucky that it went round the K550s headband really. It is extremely tight indeed. If the headband was any thicker or just a couple of millimetres wider, I don't think I could have got the poppers connected. I have used my K550s for so many years now. Possibly nearly 4. And at leased for 2 and a bit years I have been using them on buses or other transport when I travel about. They have several hours use away from home most days infact. The earpads seem to be find to me. I don't have the issue of them degrading like some have. I did have one that the stitching came undone within a few months of owning but I just bought another pair of original pads and just replaced one of them and they are still both fine. I still have one spare at least. The headphones are showing signs of damage in other places though. Where the headband comes out of the plastic to adjust the size, the plastic has started to crack and split open near where there was already a crack when they were new. This one is obviously normal. must just be where the covers are joined together. In the top picture, you may see that I have wrapped yet more black PVC tape round this to try and prevent it getting any worse. The cracks are on both sides pretty much in line with where the thin headband goes in. It just seems strange that they have both done exactly the same in the same place. I was wondering if it was to do with the fact that the headband is metal and it is really thin and it is just wearing out the plastic but nothing has happened on the opposite sides. I hope that they will last as I still really like their sound. It does seem that this headband has improved the comfort. The quality actually feels nicer too. For just over £6, I can't say that is bad at all considering no glue or mess is involved.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #2,481 of 2,841
Well, here are my K550s with this new headband: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headband-Cushion-Comfort-pad-For-Beyerdynamic-DT770-DT880-DT990-PRO-Headphones/321495086649?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It came with 6 poppers to hold it round. With all 6 on, it is too wide for the K550s unless you have them on size 13 all the time! I cut the 2 ends off so I was just left with 4. I cut right at the edge of both. This is now exactly the same width at the original pad and allows the headphones to be anywhere between size 1 and 13. I used to use it on 7 with the original pad but as this is thicker, I used it on 8 now but it is useful being able to put it back to the minimum size to save space in my bag. You may just about be able to see in the top picture that I am using some black PVC tape to seal where I cut the 2 ends off the headband. This hides the white foam inside quite nicely. It was lucky that it went round the K550s headband really. It is extremely tight indeed. If the headband was any thicker or just a couple of millimetres wider, I don't think I could have got the poppers connected. I have used my K550s for so many years now. Possibly nearly 4. And at leased for 2 and a bit years I have been using them on buses or other transport when I travel about. They have several hours use away from home most days infact. The earpads seem to be find to me. I don't have the issue of them degrading like some have. I did have one that the stitching came undone within a few months of owning but I just bought another pair of original pads and just replaced one of them and they are still both fine. I still have one spare at least. The headphones are showing signs of damage in other places though. Where the headband comes out of the plastic to adjust the size, the plastic has started to crack and split open near where there was already a crack when they were new. This one is obviously normal. must just be where the covers are joined together. In the top picture, you may see that I have wrapped yet more black PVC tape round this to try and prevent it getting any worse. The cracks are on both sides pretty much in line with where the thin headband goes in. It just seems strange that they have both done exactly the same in the same place. I was wondering if it was to do with the fact that the headband is metal and it is really thin and it is just wearing out the plastic but nothing has happened on the opposite sides. I hope that they will last as I still really like their sound. It does seem that this headband has improved the comfort. The quality actually feels nicer too. For just over £6, I can't say that is bad at all considering no glue or mess is involved.

seems like you have stuffed your earpads as well with cotton rounds. Am planning to buy Akg K553pro aswell. Can you tell is it good for hearing edm musics as well as new song releases from artists like Jane Xo and illenium ?

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #2,482 of 2,841
seems like you have stuffed your earpads as well with cotton rounds. Am planning to buy Akg K553pro aswell. Can you tell is it good for hearing edm musics as well as new song releases from artists like Jane Xo and illenium ?
My earpads are no different. They are the originals. I don't think the K553 is very different to the K550. They are rather flat and accurate sounding. And I think they will sound far more like the artist intended the music to sound like. Rather than many headphones that are fashionable these days that have muddy mids and treble and overwhelming bass. I've used these as my portable headphones for at least 3 years with my X3 now and they have lasted well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #2,483 of 2,841
My earpads are no different. They are the originals. I don't think the K553 is very different to the K550. They are rather flat and accurate sounding. And I think they will sound far more like the artist intended the music to like like. Rather than many headphones that are fashionable these days that have muddy mids and treble and overwhelming bass. I've used these as my portable headphones for at least 3 years with my X3 now and they have lasted well.
Wow... Nice referening about artists intended music thing... Thanks

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #2,484 of 2,841
Nov 14, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #2,485 of 2,841
Has anyone tried these XL Brainwavz pad specifically designed for big AKG like K550-551-553-701-702-etc ?

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...ts/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-xl-sheepskin
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...s/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-xl-pu-leather

I'm looking for new pads since on my stock 551 pads I feel not comfortable, my ears touching the drivers

XL round pads?! wowwey, look nice. The regular sheeps w/ memory foam is fantastic

Also those hm9 look like xb500 pads. :D probably good for modding other cans

Anyone have a 900st Sony to compare with the 550, or have had 900st experience? The Japanese 900st /550 are both mentioned rarely nowadays, and both have been praised as excellent studio cans.

Also there was a KING SIZE cushion pad i saw for 550. Look like xb1k pads. I had thought about it a long time ago to get 550+ KING CUSHION pads, but my spidey sense told me they probably would not be good combo. China pads are hit/miss

dsc_0579.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2,486 of 2,841
Well, my K550s are certainly showing signs of use now. I'm thinking I'll have to replace them soon. I've already replaced the ear pads once, although the new pads are still good. I've replaced the headband with with another one from Ebay as I posted an image of further up. That to me is a bit soft for the weight of the headphones and isn't as good as the original pad on the K550s. As you can also see in the pictures further up, I've had to tape up around the frame where you adjust the size as it is starting to crack there.

The main problem is with the drivers. Especially the left one. As somebody suggested earlier on this thread, putting micropore tape over the 3 holes under the ear pads makes a massive difference to the sound. I've been using this tape on them even since it got mentioned. Without anything covering these holes, the bass is still deep, but extremely lacking. But the main problem is that the midrange and treble sounds so thin and harsh. It just sounds like a tweeter that can just about play the bass. But with the micropore tape, the left driver has started to rattle whenever the sligtest bit of pressure is put on the ear cup. I know the reason for this. It will be that because the air can't easily get into the holes, it forces the driver to move in. It never used to be like this and is fine with the tape off. But when on the bus, just vibrations that cause my headphones to shake a little causes the driver to pop and click and it is just to do with the pressure. The driver must have loosened over time but posibly a bit too much now. But if I don't have this tape on, they sound really bad. The only solution at the moment seems to be having the tape off and having the bass boosted my a massive amount on my X3. As leased that then bleeds into the midrange and makes them sound decent again. The right driver does crackle, but only if i press it against my head. So it shows the other must have some issue. But then I guess I have had my use out of them. I've used them for well over 3 years as portable headphones on the bus.

I've liked these so much that I think I want basically the same thing again. But interestingly, the K550 MKIII is now here! https://www.richersounds.com/akg-k550-mk3-blk.html
It has a detachable mini XLR cable! Why didn't they do this before. That makes them so much more practical. I will probably buy a separate 1m mini XLR cable so I don't have to use the 3m one. I've got so used to using my chunky braided cable on my K550s now that that will seem so much easier. If I don't figure out a way to get my K550s better soon, I think I will go for these even though I can get the MKII for £50 less.

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #2,487 of 2,841
The Mk III? That's badass.

That left driver may be dying due to factory defect rather than any modification that you've made. Have you double-checked how it looks with the earpad off?

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #2,488 of 2,841
The Mk III? That's badass.

That left driver may be dying due to factory defect rather than any modification that you've made. Have you double-checked how it looks with the earpad off?

Yes, I did look, but can't see anything wrong with it. But as I said, I think it will be that I have tape covering the holes that means whenever the slightest bit of movement or pressure on the earcup forces the driver to move slightly which causes it to crackle. But the left one only has this if I force the cup towards my ear firmly. If I am at home staying very still, the left one is ok it is fine, but it now isn't much good like this when travelling about.

When I'd just had my K550s for a few months, the left driver started distorting and AKG replaced it. It was a different problem though. This time, it rattled whenever it played bass. My headphones now still sound fine if I don't move. But the left driver has had less use that the right, so it would be a shame if it is a manufacturing fault again. I just feel it will be due to the amount of use they have had. Given that the frame is cracking in places, I clearly have had them for quite some time.

The link I sent to the MKIII is actually a store in the UK you can go to and try them on and there are loads of them around the country. I still am thinking it is likely I will go for them. They will be much more practical with the detachable cable. I just don't know where you can get a decent value 1m cable. The price of mini XLR to 3.5mm is massive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-TA3F-V...=1511603579&sr=8-2&keywords=mini+xlr+to+3.5mm
Or there is AKG's own coiled cable which would be very useful for these "portable" headphones but that is £23. I am thinking I may as well buy something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WGQMN6W/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1BGCLX5BWRNNA&colid=3QLVGEDXOA9E0
And then buy a decent value 3.5 - 3.5mm cable and just cut the end off and rewire it. That will be a fair bit cheaper than the other options. The headphones come with a 3m cable which is a bit of a shame really.

Dec 2, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #2,489 of 2,841
Well, here are my K550s with this new headband: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headband-Cushion-Comfort-pad-For-Beyerdynamic-DT770-DT880-DT990-PRO-Headphones/321495086649?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Ordered pretty something quite similar a while ago... Kinda sucks that it doesn't fit! I just assumed and honestly for the price 3.50$ wasn't really worried, but yeah the headband really isn't that wide... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-p...mfort-pad-for-Grado-SR-Sennh/32806501462.html But if it doesn't fit I might just throw it on the grados. So is there a better fitting foam for the AKG? I was relinquant to remove the existing headband cushion and replace it with another, but I'm thinking that might be the best solution. Link above has all sorts of replacement padding, if one fits...

It's a bit surprising they didn't opt for thicker padding, I'm sure it would have increased comfort.

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #2,490 of 2,841
Ordered pretty something quite similar a while ago... Kinda sucks that it doesn't fit! I just assumed and honestly for the price 3.50$ wasn't really worried, but yeah the headband really isn't that wide... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-p...mfort-pad-for-Grado-SR-Sennh/32806501462.html But if it doesn't fit I might just throw it on the grados. So is there a better fitting foam for the AKG? I was relinquant to remove the existing headband cushion and replace it with another, but I'm thinking that might be the best solution. Link above has all sorts of replacement padding, if one fits...

It's a bit surprising they didn't opt for thicker padding, I'm sure it would have increased comfort.
You are much better off getting one with 6 poppers on. As they seem to be the perfect length when you cut the 2 edges off just leaving 4. If you got for one with just 4, then you will need to shorten it and it will leave you with just 2 poppers. My Ebay one certainly fits if you remove the old pad and cut a bit off each side. This may be another option: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacemen...035480?hash=item58f553dad8:g:6bIAAOSwo4pYIS7D

This has 6 poppers and looks pretty much the same as the one I have. It will bee to long. But you just need to do as I said in my earlier post. If you go for the exact one I got from the UK ebay page, that only just fits. It is really tight round the headband but it stays where it is really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back