The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Apr 14, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #2,462 of 2,849
  http://electronics.woot.com/offers/akg-over-ear-headphones-w-mic-12?ref=el_cnt_wp_2_2 K545 on sale for only $80 on woot

That's a very interesting deal.

In my earlier post here I described the sonic differences I hear between K845BT and K550.  I should add that those differences persist when I used the K845BT wired; they're not just a Bluetooth artifact in other words.  And I'm fairly sure that the K545 and the K845BT are the same headphone aside from Bluetooth.

The K545's nice portable-length-with-remote cable is removable/replaceable, with a 3mm plug on the headphone side, so spares or cable upgrades are easy to come by.  And that also means it can accept an external Bluetooth receiver if you want.  The earcup size is smaller, so while it's still an over-ear for me, it may be an on-ear for some people.  On its own IMO the smaller size of the K545(slash K845BT) makes it a little less dorky looking on the head if you're out and about.

For me the K550 is still my preference from a sonic perspective, but for mobile use the K545 (or K845BT) is a really nice alternative, and I haven't seen a price anywhere near that low for the K545 before.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #2,463 of 2,849

That's a very interesting deal.

In my earlier post here I described the sonic differences I hear between K845BT and K550.  I should add that those differences persist when I used the K845BT wired; they're not just a Bluetooth artifact in other words.  And I'm fairly sure that the K545 and the K845BT are the same headphone aside from Bluetooth.

The K545's nice portable-length-with-remote cable is removable/replaceable, with a 3mm plug on the headphone side, so spares or cable upgrades are easy to come by.  And that also means it can accept an external Bluetooth receiver if you want.  The earcup size is smaller, so while it's still an over-ear for me, it may be an on-ear for some people.  On its own IMO the smaller size of the K545(slash K845BT) makes it a little less dorky looking on the head if you're out and about.

For me the K550 is still my preference from a sonic perspective, but for mobile use the K545 (or K845BT) is a really nice alternative, and I haven't seen a price anywhere near that low for the K545 before.

I will agree that the K545 and K845BT are very likely the same headphone. I tried out the K845BT a while back, and everything about it was very close to what I've read about the K545. These specs show some slight differences though, but they BOTH have 50mm speaker drivers ftw. Based on the specs, it looks like the K845BT can get SLIGHTLYYYY louder cuz of its higher sensitivity (impedance is same for both), though the K545 has a lower frequency, which means it can prob offer slightly better bass. 

I wear my K551 (as I did with my now former K550/K550 MK II/K553) PROUDLY when I go out. lol They are a LITTLE big, I'll agree, but I don't think it's an issue. I've actually been complimented on them too (by train conductor lol). And for how they sound (which is exactly like the K550 and K550 MK II and even K553), it's worth it! I would only suggest the K545 or K845BT to someone who just couldn't get passed the SLIGHTLY bigger size. I would say the K545/K845BT sounds like 90% as good as the K55X series does. 

I would like to see AKG make a version of the K550 or K55X series that has a detachable cable as well. Hopefully one day soon. Though I have the K551 with the shorter 4' cable, so it's not really as bad. I hook it up to my HTC 10 which is amazing too

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #2,464 of 2,849
Today my new AKG 550 MKII arrived - they were sold cheap and design-wise I find them the most desirable headphones (still) out there. Even better looking than my D5000 and Beoplay H6.
It is a shame therefore that the ear-pads are made of very thin pleather, they surely deserve real leather.
But that are just the looks...is it just me or is the K550 MKII different sounding than the MKI?
When I bought my AudioTechnica ATH-A900Xs, 5 years or so ago, I vastly prefered them over the K550s, I felt the K550s sounded thin with a pretty abrasive peak in the lower treble, similar to the high-mid peak of my Denon D5000s, but worse. The K550 MKIIs sound pretty similar to the BeoPlay H6s, open, neutral, wide and with clear highs. Maybe because of the big earcups and pads they sound a little more intimate, closed-in than the H6s, not the sound, but my preception of it. The H6s remain unique, in that I never feel I enter another sound world.
The fit of K550s ear pads are spot on, the clamping is just right. The sound is wonderful, with a lean, articulate but still solid bass, a wide soundstage and clear smooth highs. Coming from the Sony MDR-Z7s I don't feel I miss much bass and warmth, 'thin' is a sound characteristic than no longer aplies to the K550s.

You could always get the Brainwavz HM5 leather pads. I had to swap out my pads due to simple wear, I got the pleather angled pads and they provide a much better seal than the stock pads in my opinion. You could also get the regular flat ones, but supposedly they alter the sound somewhat.

They only thing I regret about getting these pads is that I opted for pleather and not real leather on them. So if you want some leather pads then I would at least look at the HM5 angled pads as the PU version serves me and a few others quite well.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #2,465 of 2,849
Just wrote a short review:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k-550/reviews/18482

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,466 of 2,849
  Just wrote a short review:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k-550/reviews/18482

Nice review Mink!

I absolutely LOVE the K55X series myself. I've compared them to some $300-$400 headphones, and those other ones never compared. I've had all of the K55X series at one point.........K550, K553 (worst one cuz has less headband padding than the rest), K550 MK II, and now the K551. I prefer the look of the K550/K550 MK II the most (tiny bit more on MK II), but I like the convenience of the K551's shorter cable with in-line remote. But if the K550/K550 MK II was cheaper some months ago like it is now (it was even cheaper a month ago.......like around $100!! Now it's like $130.), I might've just got that one instead. K551 is $200 and was maybe worth it when K550 MK II was $150-$160, but not at $100-$130! lol You can always just twisty-tie the cable too like I did before. 

You may find this thread of mine interesting. lol Essentially, all the K55X sound the same. I would even say the K551 does too. My thread proves why that statement is true. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #2,467 of 2,849

Appreciate your review of the K550, not raving about anything, rather describing a conservative can without any significant problems. That's what I wanted to do in adding a closed can to my stable, and I got it in the K550. My transparent digital front-end feeds them everything they need.

Less is more, I'd say.

IMO

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #2,468 of 2,849
I don't know if this is the same, but I couldn't find a K553 pro discussion forum.

I recently bought an "Open box" pair, and although the slight knicks and scratches, I hear very slight, but noticeable static on the right ear cup. BUT it only occurs with higher frequencies. I've tried messing and moving the cable around but it doesn't seem to make the static better or worse.

Any ideas?

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #2,469 of 2,849
May 26, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,470 of 2,849
Had some issues with my K550 recently. The headband pad started peeling badly and the foam underneath is horrible on a bald head so I replaced it with a Sennheiser HD201 pad. Pretty much a perfect fit and it's thicker than the original so improves the fit. Then I noticed as the temperatures are rising so is the temperature of my ears (with Brainwavz angled pleather pads) so I invested in the new Sheepskin version of the Brainwavz angled pads. Definitely more comfortable and cooler they also seem a little shallower than the pleather ones and seem to sound a little clearer (subjective impression of course). I'm back to being really happy with my K550's again. I can definitely recommend the HD201 headband pad if anyone has the peeling issue. Takes a bit of work to clean the old foam off though.

May 26, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #2,471 of 2,849
Had some issues with my K550 recently. The headband pad started peeling badly and the foam underneath is horrible on a bald head so I replaced it with a Sennheiser HD201 pad. Pretty much a perfect fit and it's thicker than the original so improves the fit. Then I noticed as the temperatures are rising so is the temperature of my ears (with Brainwavz angled pleather pads) so I invested in the new Sheepskin version of the Brainwavz angled pads. Definitely more comfortable and cooler they also seem a little shallower than the pleather ones and seem to sound a little clearer (subjective impression of course). I'm back to being really happy with my K550's again. I can definitely recommend the HD201 headband pad if anyone has the peeling issue. Takes a bit of work to clean the old foam off though.

I feel like I MAY have tried that headband before, but not sure now. I'm actually VERY comfortable with my K551's headband. Same went for the K550 and K550 MK II I used to own. ONLY bad one was the K553. NEVER buy that headphone. Stupid release by AKG. Sounds the same as the other 3 (they ALL sound alike per AKG lol....even the sound graphs are only like 1% different from each other), but the K553 has THINNER headband padding than the rest. SO stupid!

Those sheepskin Brainwavz angled pads sound interesting, but I dunno. They say it's easy to replace the earpads, but it sure doesn't LOOK easy. lol And yeah even you're sayin' it takes some work. My ears do sometimes get a lil warm like if I'm on the train and it's warm in there, or at home. But I just wipe them down with my shirt and they're good to go! LOL That is interesting that you think they sound clearer with Brainwavz, though I find the stock ones to be VERY clear anyway.

May 27, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #2,472 of 2,849
I feel like I MAY have tried that headband before, but not sure now. I'm actually VERY comfortable with my K551's headband. Same went for the K550 and K550 MK II I used to own. ONLY bad one was the K553. NEVER buy that headphone. Stupid release by AKG. Sounds the same as the other 3 (they ALL sound alike per AKG lol....even the sound graphs are only like 1% different from each other), but the K553 has THINNER headband padding than the rest. SO stupid!

Those sheepskin Brainwavz angled pads sound interesting, but I dunno. They say it's easy to replace the earpads, but it sure doesn't LOOK easy. lol And yeah even you're sayin' it takes some work. My ears do sometimes get a lil warm like if I'm on the train and it's warm in there, or at home. But I just wipe them down with my shirt and they're good to go! LOL That is interesting that you think they sound clearer with Brainwavz, though I find the stock ones to be VERY clear anyway.

To be honest, all I did was get hold of the ring on the back and stretch it a little before attempting to fit them then it was just a case of rotating them on as normal with a little more effort requited for the last bit but I'd say with that initial stretch they actually went on easier than the pleather ones. Definitely more comfortable now.

2017-05-27%2010.25.40_1.jpg

May 27, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2,473 of 2,849
To be honest, all I did was get hold of the ring on the back and stretch it a little before attempting to fit them then it was just a case of rotating them on as normal with a little more effort requited for the last bit but I'd say with that initial stretch they actually went on easier than the pleather ones. Definitely more comfortable now.

2017-05-27%2010.25.40_1.jpg

VERY cool!! If there was someone I could take it to that could do it for cheap I might consider it. But I'm afraid if I do it myself I will mess something up and be stuck with a damaged pair of headphones. lol If I felt they were lacking in clarity I'd be more motivated to do it, but I don't at all. lol I am glad though you found a way to make them more comfortable at least.

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,474 of 2,849
Hey heads up for anyone who looks sorely at their k550 pads before putting them on with a sigh! Dekoni (who make wonderful magnificent pads for a bunch of headphones like the thx x00) have commented that they are making custom k553 pads! since those models are basically identical, we effectively have top tier pads coming for the k550!!

Knowing dekoni, they will release a velour option, protein leather option, sheepskin option, and fenestrated sheepskin versions (possibly a hybrid with all three together as well). they should be releasing soon as in their comment they said to look for it on massdrop within the coming weeks. Since the k553s are so damn popular, no doubt the pads will be amazing!

Im personally goin to pick up the sheepskin, and possibly fenestrated as well.

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #2,475 of 2,849
Hey heads up for anyone who looks sorely at their k550 pads before putting them on with a sigh! Dekoni (who make wonderful magnificent pads for a bunch of headphones like the thx x00) have commented that they are making custom k553 pads! since those models are basically identical, we effectively have top tier pads coming for the k550!!

Knowing dekoni, they will release a velour option, protein leather option, sheepskin option, and fenestrated sheepskin versions (possibly a hybrid with all three together as well). they should be releasing soon as in their comment they said to look for it on massdrop within the coming weeks. Since the k553s are so damn popular, no doubt the pads will be amazing!

Im personally goin to pick up the sheepskin, and possibly fenestrated as well.
I have recently put a new headband from a different brand on the K550s that actually feels nicer than the original. I will upload pictures of that later. But I do actually like the original earpads

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back