The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Apr 24, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #2,281 of 2,842

Well don't let the price fool you. I've compared my K553 (which are now replaced with the exactly-the-same sounding K550 MKII) to several more expensive headphones, and none of them could outdo the K553 in either the bass dept, the treble dept (especially with regard to "shine/sparkle" in that region), or the soundstage, or even all 3! Sometimes the more expensive option simply ISN'T the better option. 

Ok when you start talking about low bass, mid bass, etc sound, you lose me. lol That's why I consider myself an "Audiophile Lite" instead of an Audiophile b/c I simply don't like to get TOO much into the details. What MAY be affecting your perception of the bass on the K550 is how you're wearing them. Try adjusting them a little on the train and that may be make a difference in how much bass you here. Also, try adjusting the headband setting (I use #5 myself) make sure the earpads are on/over your ears firmly. 

I've heard others say the K550 doesn't offer enough bass, and those are the reasons I believe to be causing that. But if you're doing all that already, then you might as well use bass boost then. For me, keeping the bass isolated and not overbearing (unlike many other headphones I've tried) is one of the reasons WHY I hear so much detail in my music, even at the high end. Details like high-end sparkle, which "over-bassing" on other more expensive headphones drowned out (to a certain extent), are heard CLEARLY on my AKGs. 

About the low and mid bass, the mid bass the frequency is higher and closer to midrange. If I boost something at around that frequency, I find that that often effects the mid-range. EG, the midrange can sound muddy and bass starts taking over it.
If it boosts the lower end bass at a lower frequency, it tended not to mess up the midrange as much. This is what I loved about my original E11 with my AD700s as they lacked punch and volume in the bass. It was there but just very quiet. The E11 probably won't suit a lot of other headphones as well as it suited mine.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #2,282 of 2,842

About the low and mid bass, the mid bass the frequency is higher and closer to midrange. If I boost something at around that frequency, I find that that often effects the mid-range. EG, the midrange can sound muddy and bass starts taking over it.
If it boosts the lower end bass at a lower frequency, it tended not to mess up the midrange as much. This is what I loved about my original E11 with my AD700s as they lacked punch and volume in the bass. It was there but just very quiet. The E11 probably won't suit a lot of other headphones as well as it suited mine.

I see. Ok. Cool. 

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #2,283 of 2,842

I have the FiiO E10 and the K550s. I don't think the E10k will be that different. It worked fine with them but I have recently bought the SMSL SD-793II and that seems a fair bit better. It was £10 cheaper too. Only disadvantage really is that there is no bass boost or USB input. There is however an optical and coaxial input so still reasonable.

I stopped using my E10 because I could hear a fair bit of my internal computer noise. I have come to a decision that USB isn't the best for audio. I seem to be able to hear crackling, popping and similar each time I open a new program. It is only really quiet and hardly noticeable a lot of the time but can also be very irritating during quiet music.

The SMSL SD-793II doesn't have these issues and sounds much cleaner. The E10k may have improved and I don't think every PC will have this internal noise related issue that I have with my E10.

The E10 does have a decent quality sound with the K550s though. A little better than listening directly through my built in sound card I would say.
I have done a pretty long review of the SMSL SD-793II and compared it to the E10 in parts of it. It may be worth reading. The main headphones I use are the K550s and the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s.

This review may help out a bit:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/803402/impression-s-m-s-l-sd-793ii-audio-dac-headphone-amplifier#post_12463703

If you have any more questions about how the K550s sound with this DAC/AMP, you could ask me on this thread. I do think it should be as good or better than the E10k.

I had the exact same problem with the Fiio e10k. i was getting static a lot even when jumping from different YT videos and the same when starting new songs through vlc. It stopped though when I took out my wireless 5g usb stick from my laptop and it's worked great since. Nice clean sounding :)

May 1, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,285 of 2,842
Hey there! I was wondering which headphone would be better, when I like cool sounding headphones? The K550, K545 or the Soundmagic HP150. I had the H6 until recently and liked it, but I liked the K550 more. (Had it 3 years / 5 years prior) How does HP150 and K545 compare to the K550?

May 1, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #2,286 of 2,842
Hey there! I was wondering which headphone would be better, when I like cool sounding headphones? The K550, K545 or the Soundmagic HP150. I had the H6 until recently and liked it, but I liked the K550 more. (Had it 3 years / 5 years prior) How does HP150 and K545 compare to the K550?

Hey Cup, 

I haven't heard the HP150, but I have heard the AKG K845BT, which essentially are the Bluetooth version of the K545. I thought it sounded great (and I believe it sounds the same as K545 too, at least when using it for wired listening), but the K550 is still better. I would say it can do like 85-90% of what the K550 can do. The main thing is the soundstage. On the K550, songs with a wide/expansive soundstage will sound WIDER on the K550 vs. the K545 because although both sport 50mm speaker drivers, the K550 has slightly bigger earcups, which lend to a bigger soundstage, and also IMO better instrument sound separation because of the extra space. 

The only (minor) cons with the K550 is that they don't have a detachable cable like the K545 does, and the cable is 10' long, so like what I do is just tie it up. I actually have the K550 MK II, which is the UK version of the K550, though I live in the U.S. lol But they sound exactly the same as far as I know. (I used to have the regular K550 as well about 16 mos ago.) 

My advice Cup is if you want the K550, the BEST deal to get is the one I just mentioned that's on eBay for the K550 MK II. I bought it for much less than what the K550 and K550 MK II are sold for elsewhere on eBay or Amazon (only $142!!). Plus they offer a THREE-year warranty as well for only about $20 (make sure to check that box for it!). There are still 4 available, so act quickly. I even like the K550 MK II's box a little more than the K550's, and also how they wrote the headphones' name on the side of the headphones as well (vertically) vs. the K550/K553 (horizontally), and also WHERE they wrote it more on the MK II. (See my review of the K553 vs. K550 MK II here as well, especially pics at bottom.) 

May 2, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #2,287 of 2,842
  Sorry to ask, but does anyone, by any chance, have a K550 cable they are not using ?
I mean those who did the plug/detachable cable mod on these headphones.
I need to buy one for my project.

why would you need a 550 cable? just make a new cable from scratch, its far better and probably even cheaper. Or did the k550 come with a remote/mic as well (my k551s came with one but I swapped the cable and got better performance)?

May 2, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #2,289 of 2,842
  It's actually that nice plug and matching adapter that I am after, but I cannot find them for purchase.

you mean the threaded minijack to jack adapter? if so then I would look for something like the Beyerdynamic spare parts, since at least some of their headphones are fully user serviceable with parts provided. How about the spare cable for DT990 http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spareparts/anschlusskabel-8.html . Its a bit more solid than the AKG cable and is relatively nice to use if you like the spiral cable design.

May 2, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #2,290 of 2,842

Hey Cup, 

I haven't heard the HP150, but I have heard the AKG K845BT, which essentially are the Bluetooth version of the K545. I thought it sounded great (and I believe it sounds the same as K545 too, at least when using it for wired listening), but the K550 is still better. I would say it can do like 85-90% of what the K550 can do. The main thing is the soundstage. On the K550, songs with a wide/expansive soundstage will sound WIDER on the K550 vs. the K545 because although both sport 50mm speaker drivers, the K550 has slightly bigger earcups, which lend to a bigger soundstage, and also IMO better instrument sound separation because of the extra space. 

The only (minor) cons with the K550 is that they don't have a detachable cable like the K545 does, and the cable is 10' long, so like what I do is just tie it up. I actually have the K550 MK II, which is the UK version of the K550, though I live in the U.S. lol But they sound exactly the same as far as I know. (I used to have the regular K550 as well about 16 mos ago.) 

My advice Cup is if you want the K550, the BEST deal to get is the one I just mentioned that's on eBay for the K550 MK II. I bought it for much less than what the K550 and K550 MK II are sold for elsewhere on eBay or Amazon (only $142!!). Plus they offer a THREE-year warranty as well for only about $20 (make sure to check that box for it!). There are still 4 available, so act quickly. I even like the K550 MK II's box a little more than the K550's, and also how they wrote the headphones' name on the side of the headphones as well (vertically) vs. the K550/K553 (horizontally), and also WHERE they wrote it more on the MK II. (See my review of the K553 vs. K550 MK II here as well, especially pics at bottom.) 

Thanks for that, man! :) Although, unfortunately, the AKG K550 MKII deal you sent me is not sending to The Netherlands. :frowning2: 

May 2, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #2,291 of 2,842
  you mean the threaded minijack to jack adapter? if so then I would look for something like the Beyerdynamic spare parts, since at least some of their headphones are fully user serviceable with parts provided. How about the spare cable for DT990 http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spareparts/anschlusskabel-8.html . Its a bit more solid than the AKG cable and is relatively nice to use if you like the spiral cable design.

Well, it's the AKG logo and all that that I am after, I am building my own cable for my AKG K712 and I really want a nice plug​.
AKG has spare parts for the Professional series too, and I am sure they do for the other headphones as well, but the list is not available for the public, but the plug I am after is available on the K550 and K553 only, afaik.

May 2, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #2,292 of 2,842
Thanks for that, man! :) Although, unfortunately, the AKG K550 MKII deal you sent me is not sending to The Netherlands. :frowning2: 

You're welcome Cup!

Ok don't worry......I just did a quick check on the UK Amazon site, and fortunately for you they have the AKG K550 MK II for only about $20 more than that eBay deal I sent you was for! There's even 2 warranty options listed on the right side as well if you wish! I checked and THIS seller will deliver to the Netherlands also!! So you're all set! The price is still cheaper than anywhere else, so go for it today and get yourself some REAL DEAL headphones! lol

P.S. And don't worry about the shipping time. It's always LESS time than what they say it is. I just ordered some headphone earcup pads on U.S. Amazon where seller was in China and it said like 6 weeks for delivery. I got them in two. lol So just order these today and be done with it.

Now I have to ask you, what are you playing your music on? Your smartphone, or a DAP (separate player)? If it's phone, then we NEED to talk DAC/amp. lol

May 2, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #2,294 of 2,842
Thanks man! I am going to order the AKG K550. :) 

Cup,

That's awesome!! I'm sure you'll really enjoy the K550 MK II!! I know I do! lol

Again, what are you playing your music on? Your smartphone, or a DAP (separate player)? If it's a phone, then we NEED to talk DAC/amp. lol These K550 MK II headphones will ONLY sound their best with proper amplification, and a quality DAC (digital to analog converter) as well. Let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back