The Accudio app by golden ears, a headphone revolution.
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 268

Br777

Headphoneus Supremus

Yup, i said it, A headphone revolution, and i mean it.

The Accudio app is an excellent music player app with one AMAZINGLY UNIQUE feature. 

Choose your headphones from over 300 and counting on their list, download a preset EQ, and enjoy Perfectly Neutral sound!!! 

Neutrality in headphones means that your headphones actually play the music like its supposed to be heard. No coloration, No frequency imbalance. No more bloated bass, rolled off highs, and so on..  Perfectly balanced sound.

This is an otherwise impossible feat unless you have some serious pro audio gear, pro measurement tools, and substantial skill, and knowledge.

Bottom line   If you want to hear the music the way it is supposed to be heard, and want your headphones to sound their absolute best, this app has made that entirely possible and simple.   AT LAST!!

​
 ​
It goes into subjectivity vs objectivity and to me is a very balanced take.  One may even call it... neutral... :wink:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​
 ​

Question I asked Accudio:
I'm wondering why you don't "eq" the headphones to your headphone version of "flat".
the accudio adjustment is clearly much closer to neutral but it looks  like (according to my interpretation of the graphs and everything on your site that i've read) that it still leaves some imbalances in place.  why is that?

Answer from Accudio:
[size=x-small]Preset equalizing values of accudio are obtained by measurements.[/size]
[size=x-small]But, ironically, flat frequency response from the coupler(IEC711) after "exact" equalizing do not guarantee better performance.[/size]

[size=x-small]Here are some reasons for that.[/size]
[size=x-small]Some deeps are resulted from cancellation. Those are never repaired.[/size]
[size=x-small]Some peaks are dependant on individuals. Those can not be repaired exactly, so we go with "average". It leaves some peaks or deeps.[/size]
[size=x-small]Too much modification with equalizer means loosing dynamics. [/size]
[size=x-small]If there is limatation on frequency response range, which are incurable, a peak can compensate the limitation somewhat. So We leave the peak.[/size]

[size=x-small]Presets in Accudio is like our recommedation for users who don't want to bother with parametric EQ, not an engineering menifesto.[/size]
[size=x-small]So, we encourage our users to use "additional setting" to make more personalized EQ settings.[/size]
[size=x-small]("Vocal" band is  around 3kHz, "Sibilant"band is around 8kHz. Names of the bands are not relevant with actual vocal or sibilant range, but usually those effects the vocal or sibilant sound because most earphones or headphones make resonances (too much or too less) in that bands.[/size][size=x-small])[/size]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

From the app page:

[Key Features]
1. Reference Mode (Maximize Performance)
Accudio™ converts the sound from your current earphone/headphone to near perfect hi-fi sound using the optimized settings based on the data acquired using high precision measuring equipment.

2. FLAC, OGG Support
Accudio™ supports the lossless FLAC files, as well as the OGG files which currently cannot be played in iOS. Simply copy the desired FLAC file or OGG file to a local folder in Accudio™, and you can enjoy the music without re-encoding. Accudio™ also supports iPod music files and libraries.

3. Simulation Mode
If you want to experience the true high quality sound from the top-of-the-line earphones/headphones, try the “Simulation Mode” in Accudio™. It reproduces sound almost identical to the actual sound reproduced using the top-of-the-line products.

4. Custom Mode
If you are not completely satisfied with the suggested settings provided by the team of experts at Golden Ears, try the “Custom Mode” where you can completely customize all settings to your liking. Real-time preview graphs along with the set values and parametric equalizer are all at your fingertips.

5. Multiple Language Support (for tag information)
Accudio™ supports multiple language where it displays the album, artist, and lyrics of the music file in the selected language.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a few of my own disclaimers and notes

- Its quite possible that many people will not like how neutral sounds at first.  Most people are not even close to used to that kind of sound, and sometimes your brain takes some major adjusting before you realize what you are hearing.

- neutrality will not make your headphones sound stale, or non-musical, clinical, or lifeless.  If you feel that has happened, give it a chance.. like i said, its not what most people
  are used to and its easy to judge or be stubborn about it :wink:

- some headphones are just not as capable as others.  obviously "neutralizing" a pair of apple earbuds is not going to suddenly make them sound as good as a pair of
  neutralized LCD-2's, and so on...

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 268
i downloaded the free app, but havent had time to use it yet.

With the free app its seems you can tune one set of headphones or iems for free. of course the paid app gives more options.

I am curious as to the differences in the sound with my different sources iphone 3g/iphone 4 and ipod touch 4g and my my fostex hp-p1 and different amps.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 268
I've been playing around with this app.  I wanted a little more punch out of my HD439 with out doing the bass mod.
So I tried the free version and the 439 setting was not that good. So I fooled around with  few others. Bingo!!!  The HD558 setting makes the 439's come alive.  The Bass has a nice thump and is super tight now, The biggest thing was the MASSIVE soundstage improvement. These 439's sound like a open set now. Really, it opened these suckers up man. 
Not sure I'd pay the $5 for the full app.. But if you fool around a while you can find a setting that works for you!!!

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 268
Hi, I downloaded this also based on recommendations found on this site and I must say it does increase the audio quality quite a bit.
I would like to know the best way to set a custom EQ for headphones not on the list (I.e. how to make a "neutral" sound).
I am not an audiophile by any means, but I love music and would like the best sound I can get.
I do not have "high end" headphones like many on this site, but I have etymotic er6i. ADDIEMs, sennheiser eh350 and , yes, Beats Solo HD that I got as an Xmas gift.
I am using mostly an iphone 5 as a source but also have iPads and a MacBook
Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 268
the reason this app is such a big deal is that its VERY difficult or dare i say impossible to eq headphones to neutral on your own.  you need lots of pro measuring and sound equipment, and knowlege about how to use it in regards to eq'ing headphones.

there have been several threads oh this site that attempted to to teach you how to eq headphones towards neutral, but In my opinion anyway, they dont work very well, they rely way too much on the end users own ear, and even if you have a real good one, its VERY hit and miss.

maybe someone else has a different opinion on this, but this is my experience.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 268
Looks interesting, however they seem to be missing the few IEMs/headphones I own from their list so not sure it is worth $5.

EDIT: I went to download another profile in the free version and that linked me to the page explaining the different versions. However once leaving that page the 1 download I'm allowed was deleted and I was not allowed to download another. Only way around it was deleting the app and reinstalling it. Strange.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 268
the reason this app is such a big deal is that its VERY difficult or dare i say impossible to eq headphones to neutral on your own.  you need lots of pro measuring and sound equipment, and knowlege about how to use it in regards to eq'ing headphones.

there have been several threads oh this site that attempted to to teach you how to eq headphones towards neutral, but In my opinion anyway, they dont work very well, they rely way too much on the end users own ear, and even if you have a real good one, its VERY hit and miss.

maybe someone else has a different opinion on this, but this is my experience.

Hey, thanks for the reply, I guess I just have to experiment with different preset ones.
To the other poster, there is a free version that only allows for 1 headphone preset and may have ads per the website

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 268
Hmm, I was kinda doubtful about this app, I seem to have tried all the EQ apps and dont really use em anymore, I do use flacplayer app solely for FLAC, no eq added.

I have read Br777 posts before and he seems fairly sane and balanced so i thought its free and I would give it a go.

I used it with my ATH-ESW9 and iphone 4 (straight fromt the headphone out 0.97 or 1ohm).
*My findings are the same as Br777, it cleared up the muddiness I got using the ipod stock player.

Next I will try it switching between flacplayer app and accudio app.

Then try it through my Fostex hp_p1.

Quite impressed.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 268
so this thing can make a headphone to sound like some other headphone? or at least to copy off some other headphones aspect?
sounds too good to be true , there has to be a limit on the adjustment that can be made right?

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #13 of 268
It also supports FLAC on the free version, adding files now so I can compare Accudio -ALAC/FLAC, flacplayer- FLAC and stock ipod player -ALAC.

Loading tunes now.

Hopefully they add ATH-CK10 sometime.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 268
Quote:

Yeup, i said it, A headphone revolution, and i mean it.

The Accudio app is an excellent music player app with one AMAZINGLY UNIQUE feature. 

Choose your headphones from over 300 and counting on their list, download a preset EQ, and enjoy Perfectly Neutral sound!!! 

Neutrality in headphones means that your headphones actually play the music like its supposed to be heard. No coloration, No frequency imbalance. No more bloated bass, rolled off highs, and so on..  Perfectly balanced sound.

This is an otherwise impossible feat unless you have some serious pro audio gear, pro measurement tools, and substantial skill, and knowledge.

Bottom line   If you want to hear the music the way it is supposed to be heard, and want your headphones to sound their absolute best, this app has made that entirely possible and simple.   AT LAST!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/accudio-pro/id553759905?mt=8
http://accudio.goldenears.net/SupportProdList
http://www.goldenears.net/
Free version

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

From the app page:

[Key Features]
1. Reference Mode (Maximize Performance)
Accudio™ converts the sound from your current earphone/headphone to near perfect hi-fi sound using the optimized settings based on the data acquired using high precision measuring equipment.

2. FLAC, OGG Support
Accudio™ supports the lossless FLAC files, as well as the OGG files which currently cannot be played in iOS. Simply copy the desired FLAC file or OGG file to a local folder in Accudio™, and you can enjoy the music without re-encoding. Accudio™ also supports iPod music files and libraries.

3. Simulation Mode
If you want to experience the true high quality sound from the top-of-the-line earphones/headphones, try the “Simulation Mode” in Accudio™. It reproduces sound almost identical to the actual sound reproduced using the top-of-the-line products.

4. Custom Mode
If you are not completely satisfied with the suggested settings provided by the team of experts at Golden Ears, try the “Custom Mode” where you can completely customize all settings to your liking. Real-time preview graphs along with the set values and parametric equalizer are all at your fingertips.

5. Multiple Language Support (for tag information)
Accudio™ supports multiple language where it displays the album, artist, and lyrics of the music file in the selected language.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a few disclaimers and notes

- Its quite possible that many people will not like how neutral sounds at first.  Most people are not even close to used to that kind of sound, and sometimes your brain takes some major
  adjusting before you realize what you are hearing.
- neutrality will not make your headphones sound stale, or non-musical, clinical, or lifeless.  If you feel that has happened, give it a chance.. like i said, its not what most people
  are used to and its easy to judge or be stubborn about it :wink:
- some headphones are just not as capable as others.  obviously "neutralizing" a pair of apple earbuds is not going to suddenly make them sound as good as a pair of
  neutralized LCD-2's, and so on...

I think their headphone 'neutral' is more along the lines of mine with a rising low end that stay out of the mids so folks shouldn't expect er4 bass from the app. Here's an hf5 and the thicker light green line with the rising bass is their reference. Hard to see but it's dead flat past 300hz. I'm not sure that I entirely agree about a dead flat top but close enough.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 268
Quote:
I think their headphone 'neutral' is more along the lines of mine with a rising low end that stay out of the mids so folks shouldn't expect er4 bass from the app. Here's an hf5 and the thicker light green line with the rising bass is their reference. Hard to see but it's dead flat past 300hz. I'm not sure that I entirely agree about a dead flat top but close enough.
bigsmile_face.gif

Here's what they have to say about that

Note 1. Speakers vs Headphones / Earphones
Because of the difference in the amount of absolute energy (bone conduction) involved between loudspeakers and headphones / earphones, the bass tends to lack impact in the latter, which is why the hump is desirable in the target curve for headphones and earphones.

Note 2. Speakers are the Standard of Flatness
A question that comes up from time to time is ‘why are speakers the standard for flat sound?’ The answer is because recording studios, theatrical audio systems such as Dolby, THX, and live performances are all calibrated based on the speaker as a standard of flatness - this is what ‘Hi-Fi’ is.

also THIS  is the G.E. philosophy behind why they measure.  It goes into subjectivity vs objectivity and to me is a very balanced take.. I may even call it... neutral... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back