The Accudio app by golden ears, a headphone revolution.
Dec 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #136 of 268

Frequency

Gain

Bandwidth

This is my tweaked  accudio custom settings with a  gain of -6db. Could anyone tell me how it sounds and if any additional changes could be made to make it sound better.  Also,I am using the sennheiser momentum headphones and this wouldn't sound as good with an in ear or ear buds.  Thanks peeps!!

Cool, so in tweaking this frequency tables on the Graphical EQ, do you put the earphone on or this is just based on the Graphical Frequency response graph on the Accudio website ?

I'm curious to know how did you get that value :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #138 of 268
Just a little reminder to those of you using Accudio to achieve a "flat" frequency response for your headphones - the diffused field equalised graphs shown in the Accudio app does not take into account the 6dB of bass boost they add.

So what and how is the recommended equalizer setting ?

Feel free to share yours in the thread :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #139 of 268
So what and how is the recommended equalizer setting ?

Feel free to share yours in the thread :)

When I used Accudio, I referred to the diffuse field frequency response graphs on their website and eq'ed accordingly using the parametric eq. Since I was using the ER4S they were rather easy to eq to achieve a flatter frequency response :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #140 of 268
Anybody knows how to "open/decrypt" linked xml files ? - There should be accudio eq filters, but I have no idea how to read it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/byzdvf4i1qiuhpe/Y0y5txjxK5

Got quite a problem now ... I like their eq for HD700 so much that I listen to music only thru my iPhone now, so I have to download all stuff to the phone etc. it's pretty annoying when I'am at home.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #141 of 268
i managed to translate the accudio eq setting from the app to all my other eq's.  I'll do my best to explain how.

first find the chart of the accudio setting you are using.. its in the app, you can screen shot it or find it on the golden ears website or something.

then, write out the changes they made.. between the green and the blue line.    this can take practice, but you should be able to pick the major spikes or dips they adjusted, and add or subtract the amount of decibals, and find the approximate width they used for each one.   

Then create a new eq setting and plunk in all the settings you wrote down.   From there you can switch back and forth, and fine tune until the two settings (theirs, and yours) sound the same.  Over time i was able to get mine to sound nearly inperceptably different from theirs. 

I actually ended up tweaking mine a bit more using a more complex system that i dont feel like trying to explain right now, but its certainly a great start.

good luck.. hope this made sense.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #142 of 268
When I used Accudio, I referred to the diffuse field frequency response graphs on their website and eq'ed accordingly using the parametric eq. Since I was using the ER4S they were rather easy to eq to achieve a flatter frequency response :)

Hikari, thanks for the reply, where can I find the page for the "diffuse field frequency response graphs" on the website ?

I can only see it in here: http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=Westone&document_srl=12511

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #144 of 268
Yes, the graph is the first one, "perceived frequency response". You can use it as a guide to eq your headphones/iems for a flatter FR. Remember that it is only a guide and you should use your ears to decide if it needs any more eq too :)

Cool, thanks !

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #145 of 268
  I purchased the full app last fall. I used it occasionally until recently. I demoed some better IEMs (Shure, Etymotics, UE900s) and this EQ really destroys the original recordings air and detail. On many of my very well know tracks the EQ changes the sound and really does what it advertises. It can also make different headphones sound like others such as giving the Shures the Etymotic sound signature. The main issue I had was when listening to tracks I know intimately even though it can has a pleasing effect on some cans that don't sound like you actually want, it just flattens out the sound and it becomes lifeless. You lose alot of air and spaciousness.

If you read what Golden Ears is trying to do with this app you get a better understanding. They state they are trying to help people that do not want to spend alot of money on a high end headphone get a similar sound. They are also trying to help people tame issues with lower end headphones. 

This is a very good EQ but it has its drawbacks. I ended up deleting a $6 app because after making my comparisons across my headphones, I could really hear the bad effects. Even my $99 Shure SE215s just lose to much resolution with the app engaged. 

I know this is an old post, but it illustrates a couple of things that I think people need to know about otherwise the accudio app and other similar apps are going to get a bad rap for bad reasons.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with any of these apps, I'm just an equalisation nut (see my name).

A lot of headphones, including the Etymotics and the Shures, have a hump at between 2000 and 3000 Hz. That hump is based on the diffuse field theory of headphones. It results in heapdhones that are said to be detailed, and maybe airy. In addition it's a great help to those with hearing damage, and that's a lot of people these days. It's in that region that hearing damage tends to be worst.

But for normal users with normal hearing, those humps make for a compromised audio experience. Listen to etymotics without that hump, for example, and it's stunning the sudden appearance of richness and depth, compared to the thin but 'detailed' sound of the unequalised etymotics. Recent research also strongly suggests that the diffuse field theory is a mistake (vs free field). In other words, etymotics are not really neutral.

Now, what is Accudio up to? I don't know for sure, but I would expect that they are taking out humps at the very least.  You should be getting much more accurate audio, but if your ears and tastes (or hearing damage) are tuned to the Shure and Etymotic humps then it may take a while to get used to the new sound, and the loss of so-called 'detail'. In fact, in theory they should be more detailed since the hump won't be covering up the regions just above and below it. Plus you'll have more bass and better treble.

But that's not the end of the story. As you may know from loudness curves, human hearing changes depending on volume. The louder you get the more sensitive to bass and treble. This means that one needs to make a personal treble and bass adjustment according to one's volume preference; some people are loud listeners, some quiet listeners. If you don't do this, and just accept what you're given, the bass and treble won't be where they should be. And you won't be as happy as you could be. It's very much the case that reviews by loud listeners are not valid for quiet listeners and vice-versa. ijokerl, for exmaples, is a quiet listeners, and his reviews are a disaster for someone like me, a loud listener.

(Caveat: I have read somewhere that Accudio's equalisations level out the treble instead of a smooth downward slope, which doesn't work for earphones and will result in far too much treble. So you may need to make a treble adjustment.).

I can't really vouch for Accudio, because I don;t really know what they are up to, though I have used the app on my brother's iphone to equalise his headphones.

But if you would like to try an equalisation of etymotics according to what I've written above, then try these settings:

130Hz -3.5db q=2.8 bw=0.5
650Hz -4.5db q=2.8 bw=0.5
2900Hz -5db q=1.4 bw=1

Then adjust treble and bass according to taste. It's possibly the need for treble adjustment that is losing you 'air'. the dynamic nature of human hearing beaing what it is, treble and bass adjustment are not really optional.

It's worth doing these two also:

40Hz 3db q=1.4 bw=1, nicely lifts low bass to compensate for etmotics bass slope-off.
8500Hz -8db q=4.8 bw=0.3  -- this one is my ear canal resonance. Best to use a sine-sweep to find your own.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #146 of 268
...I should add, that those etymotics equalisations won't be quite on the money if you are using a high output impedance source or the etymotics are using the 70ohms resistors which, for the same reason,  cause a bass hump and treble issue.

Low output impedance sources include Iphone 3 and 4 (5 is too high for their consumer range, HF2 etc), sansa clip, Fuze. Or you can correct output impedance issues and get a not-far-off-hifi amp the Fii0 E5 or E6.

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #149 of 268
Hi,

So I downloaded the Acudio app and I've had a play. I was suprised how much of a difference the EQ settings made. I'm using it with a pair of Westone 4r's and they do alleviate the bass hump (a bass hump I'd grown accustomed to and forgotten was there).

I have a question though - why is this needed? Aren't headphones tuned by an engineer to sound the way they do purposefully? Didn't Westone create this "bass hump" because that's how they wanted the headphones to sound? They obviously were not designed to be neutral (whatever neutral IS)

Does the paid version of accudio allow you to stream from iTunes match?

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #150 of 268
Hi,

So I downloaded the Acudio app and I've had a play. I was suprised how much of a difference the EQ settings made. I'm using it with a pair of Westone 4r's and they do alleviate the bass hump (a bass hump I'd grown accustomed to and forgotten was there).

I have a question though - why is this needed? Aren't headphones tuned by an engineer to sound the way they do purposefully? Didn't Westone create this "bass hump" because that's how they wanted the headphones to sound? They obviously were not designed to be neutral (whatever neutral IS)

Does the paid version of accudio allow you to stream from iTunes match?

Some people have to choose based on comfort instead of sound, so they EQ out any range that's over-emphasized or correct any serious dips and peaks (like a sudden -4db pr + 4db at a certain frequency)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back