The ____ headphone bashing thread
Aug 22, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #76 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
The V900, in my experience, isn't especially "bassy" per se (the bass doesn't extend particularly deep), but is in fact very thick sounding. The lower mids, in fact, dominate the sound from that 'phone.

Yes, I agree. I should have worded my post differently. I think you put it well; it's not that the V900's bass went extremely deep, it's that the lower mids and upper bass freqs overshadowed the rest of the spectrum and made for a very thick-sounding headphone--too thick for me. I should've went with the 7506s...oh well!

Aug 22, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #77 of 155
A really good bashing must be reserved for the Sony MDR-V300, and especially the V150 because so many people have wasted their money on them! (If only they sold the AKG K26P and HD201s in more mainstream stores instead of the Sonys...)

Aug 22, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #78 of 155
not really audiophile earphones but -
i hate the sony mdr-e888's for having only lows and no detail at all, plus no isolation, and the damn things keep falling off.
i hate the sony mdr-EX70 for having eardrum shattering highs which is barely listenable usually.
i appreciate the etymotics ER4P for the amazing detail but hate them because in the real world, they're not comfortable to wear, take the life anf fun out of music.

Aug 22, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #79 of 155
Kudos for starting this thread!

I've owned the Senn HD580's for more than a decade now. I love them for jazz and classical, but HATE them for metal/rock (e.g. Tool, Offspring, Linkin Park). Hell they're so tame that they make Eminem sound like a nun!
icon10.gif

Every once in a while, I keep thinking, "maybe with the right amp..."
wink.gif

[size=xx-small](that being said, I really do love these cans... "hate" may be going a bit too far for me here...)[/size]
580smile.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #80 of 155
basically any stock earbud that comes with a mp3 player. Ipod stock earbuds are the worst though.

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #81 of 155
i strongly agree about the sony remark made about avaliability. senns and other high end brands arent just in our (canada) furture shops, bestbuys and source by circuit city.. nothing but sonys and if other brands were there it would be some crappy ass brand like panasonic or some odd stuff

my sonys break like glass my first pair died when the wire got caught under the table (wheels) and then got up yank and voila! broken....... i dont know why it doesnt work anymore... when i busted it open the wires were intact and the band wasnt broken either drivers seemed fine.. poorly made sonys.. mdr v250 (remote volume control on the cord... checked that out as well was intact)

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #82 of 155
grado sr-60 - they were very detailed, but I thought they were way too anemic and had sort of hollow mids. some might call that "airy" or something, but I didn't like it for some types of music.

sr-80's - like the sr-60's, but worse.

akg k26p - I own these, the mids are congested and overbearing, and they hurt when on for long periods for time.

Aug 23, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #84 of 155
Quote:

i hate the sony mdr-e888's for having only lows and no detail at all, plus no isolation, and the damn things keep falling off.

i disagree. the e888 have a lot of detail for earbuds.

Aug 23, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #85 of 155
I have to agree with Redshifter on this as well. The E888 is a very detailed earbuds. I prefer its liquid midrange and nice bass response. They are my first quality phones/earphones.

May 18, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #86 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spektrograf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned the Senn HD580's for more than a decade now. I love them for jazz and classical, but HATE them for metal/rock (e.g. Tool, Offspring, Linkin Park). Hell they're so tame that they make Eminem sound like a nun!

I agree with this assessment, sort of. The 580/600/650 starts out well, the dynamics and crispness seem to be there, but the softness takes over after extended listening. The midrange, especially the upper portion, seems to be sunken in. Using a Rega Ear alleviates some of this but that soft effect remains. I would recommend an 8620 opamp to bring a bit of sparkle to the top.

On the topic, most headphones are absolute pieces of s--t. Way too much plastic. Haven't heard the Qualia or Orpheus but everything else is total rubbish.

May 18, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #87 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with this assessment, sort of. The 580/600/650 starts out well, the dynamics and crispness seem to be there, but the softness takes over after extended listening. The midrange, especially the upper portion, seems to be sunken in. Using a Rega Ear alleviates some of this but that soft effect remains. I would recommend an 8620 opamp to bring a bit of sparkle to the top.

On the topic, most headphones are absolute pieces of s--t. Way too much plastic. Haven't heard the Qualia or Orpheus but everything else is total rubbish.

So, you resurrected this thread of 2 years ago to trash all headphones... Except the two you say you haven't heard...

Talking about the useless...

I won't even dignify your assertion, by asking you to qualify this opinion, by answering some questions...

May 18, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #88 of 155
Stop taking stuff so seriously. You'll develop ulcers if you keep this up.

May 18, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #90 of 155
i see no harm in resurrecting old threads unless it's not relavent anymore...

FLAME AWAY! gahaha

DT770 (newer model) sucked so bad. shallow bass and scratchy mids.

also v-moda bass freq... farty fart fart farty fart fart fart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back