The ____ headphone bashing thread
May 18, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #106 of 155
HD650's: Too Dark, Bass Heavy, and Laid Back.
HD600's: Too Laid Back, alittle Grain, with a Bass Hump.
K701: Too Light in the Bass, and Sterile.
DT880: Too Bright, alittle Thin, and Light in the Bass.
DT990: Boomy Mid/Upper Bass, Mids too Recessed, Highs alittle Forward and Metallic.
Grados: Sometimes Too Bright, Lacking a Soundstage, and Bass alittle Boomy.
Grado HP2: No Upper Treble, no Lower Bass.
Stax SR-Lamda Signature: Etched Highs, Hole in the Lower Mids, Lack of Dynamics.
Nope, none of them are great, but I still like all of their strong suits!

May 18, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #107 of 155
Quote:
"I hate K81s
The sounded impressive, really well made, folded flat, what more could I want? EXCEPT for a smarter brain! Just wasn't smart enough to bend them properly, I sold them a couple of weeks later

Fixed that for you."

I thought about bending them, they seemed too sturdy, did I mention they were well made? I knew I wasn't keeping them so I didn't want to risk cracking 'em!

May 18, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #108 of 155
The K81 headband is made from spring steel, thus unbreakable. Hope my original post wasn't too insulting. A little too rude for sure.
rolleyes.gif

May 18, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #110 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with this assessment, sort of. The 580/600/650 starts out well, the dynamics and crispness seem to be there, but the softness takes over after extended listening. The midrange, especially the upper portion, seems to be sunken in. Using a Rega Ear alleviates some of this but that soft effect remains. I would recommend an 8620 opamp to bring a bit of sparkle to the top.

On the topic, most headphones are absolute pieces of s--t. Way too much plastic. Haven't heard the Qualia or Orpheus but everything else is total rubbish.

You know, I could identify with the first part of your post above and it was a worthy contribution...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to start a new thread topic "Why did I never learn how to detect irony, sarcasm or humour?"

But I failed to see humor , sarcasm or irony in the sweeping second part of your first post...

Although, I too am dismayed with the build quality of , say, the HD-580s, being too plastic looking, although it is rugged and durable and lightweight, as well as helps keep manufacturing costs down...

It seems to me some headway is being made to make phones in the 300usd range look better, while still incorporating plastics for their many beneficent reasons....

Now sound quality is a whole other catagory which often depends and associated gears IMO ....But I'm astonished at the level of sound quality I enjoy with the HPs I maintain, as well as their looks and build quality... But certainly fault can be found with any of them too...My k501 looks like a 150usd phone
wink.gif

Yes, I'm sorry if I took your post to seriously, But alot of folks read what someone with your experience has to say, and may not even persue this hobby of ours if a Headphone Supremus member from 2001 holds the opinion you wrote without giving context... There was no running ongoing context of humor, as will happen with some of these types of threads, which I too have poked fun at a particular HP; And I guess that's where I couldn't see the humor in your sweeping statement in the second part of your post...
smily_headphones1.gif

Have some serious fun, gosh dang it
wink.gif

May 18, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #112 of 155
Grados 80 - Too bright, gives me a headache after short use.
Shure e4c - Not enough treble, sounds muddy and dull.
Senn 580 - Feels like a head clamp, gives me a headache after prolonged use.

May 18, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #113 of 155
WOOT!!!

Finally, a "safe" way to say the AKG K81 DJ's are UTTER CRAP !!!!!

[size=x-large]\o/[/size]

May 18, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #114 of 155
1. the K701 is the most un-engaging "high-end" headphone ever.
2. The K1000 has no bass, otherwise it's lovely.
3. the only grado cans that don't suck have been discontinued
4. ath cans must have been designed by people on crack... the good stuff though
5. Beyers are not high-end
6. The only dynamic senns that are good are 580/600/650, and they need 1500$ and up amps to sound good.
7. The Qualia is better than the R10 (oh the blasphemy!)

May 18, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #115 of 155
I hate Ipod ear buds.. it's £250 of mp3 player and it comes with some of the worst headphone I have ever had to listen to (people shove there ipod at you with listen to this). Whats worse Is you show someone better sound and they don't even care!?!!?!?

ALso if you take the bass lmiter off in the ipod options and turn the volume up to full and play a bass hevey track the bass driver blows out. This results in a load of ipod headphones with no bass at all :| (even worse!!!)

all people who say grados are too bright try a filter with a corner filter at 4khz and 9Db of attenuation, makes them sound awsome. I warn you I do play the double bass though so I'm a bass addict.

May 18, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #116 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K81 headband is made from spring steel, thus unbreakable. Hope my original post wasn't too insulting. A little too rude for sure.
rolleyes.gif

I was only worried about the plastic around the steel, I've had bad experiences before, I'm kind'a clumsy that way!
tongue.gif

I didn't have the chance to audition them properly in the first place, I picked them up at the last Toronto meet, it was a bit noisy, but the sound I got from them was good and powerful, better than the Senn X100s under the same conditions. They would fit my head well enough, I just had to have them so far forward the would slip off. I've got a big head! I finally had to give up my urge to get iGrados because I've heard they don't do well on guys with Big Melons
eggosmile.gif

May 18, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #117 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still trying to figure out whether we're flaming at headphones or people here.
rolleyes.gif

Well, please don't hurt yourself in the process. I wouldn't want to feel guilty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I'm sorry if I took your post to seriously, But alot of folks read what someone with your experience has to say, and may not even persue this hobby of ours if a Headphone Supremus member from 2001 holds the opinion you wrote without giving context...

If it was I who was reading what I wrote written by someone else, I would scroll over their profile, and if I saw they had a pretty good inventory of decent gear, I'd probably immediately note a trace of humour or someone taking the piss out. On the other hand, if it were someone with obviously no experience in things of a headphone nature, I would suspect a troll. Those who know me would have taken a pass and moved on. I would not take a "headphone bashing" thread with an iota of seriousness. I assume it was started and intended as tongue-in-cheek. Hence my obviously disguised attempt at humour and sarcasm
icon10.gif
wink.gif

Bash away, laugh and have fun!

May 19, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #118 of 155
Creative EP-630: Can bass get any worse? Overpowering, one-toned, undefined bass.

Shure E2c, E500: I just can't stand all that midrange emphasis. Shure is definitely not for me.

JVC Marshmallows (FX-33): No details whatsoever, bass heavy.

May 19, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #119 of 155
Stock ear buds are atrocious can't stand them at all. on a related note OTE type headphones aren't my cup of tea either. I am purely an ATE and IEM type person.

May 19, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #120 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything Grado - awfully uncomfortable, brain sizzling highs, no soundstage, irritating swivel cups and tangling, unmanageable cords.

I agree completely with this much of your post. I pretty much dislike any headphones that sit on my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back