The <$200 Custom
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

drewrussell2011

Head-Fier
So, I've been thinking lately about getting an entry level custom. My budget is ~$200 -- pref. less. Here are some options that I've been considering:

1) Kozee Infitinity XI (Executive Edition) --  http://kozeesolutions.com/product/1/infinity_x1

I will wait on getting these until a couple of reviews come out, but the idea of free impression kits and the price is very tempting. Only problem is I'm not sure how well the single BA driver will be -- and if it will leave me wanting to upgrade quickly.

2) Triple Fi 10 (Used) and Reshell

I have heard of many people getting this done, and, assuming I can find a used TF10 for $100 or so, I should be able to pull this off. But, is getting a used TripleFi too much risk? Once they have been re-shelled, wouldn't it be very difficult to repair if a driver was to go out?

3) Alien Ears C1000 Pro -- http://www.alienears.com/C1000.htm

I have also been looking at Alien Ears, which is a direct competitor, price wise at least, to the Kozee one. I haven't seen many reviews of this particular model, but neither have I for the Kozee either. (Also, I find the website to be a little amateur looking? The product may be top notch, but I don't really care for the website. Just a personal opinion though. If they are great then I can look past them.)

I use a pair of Westone UM2's for stage monitoring, and I really love the sound of them. However, I don't want to have them reshelled because I don't want to lose the resell value should I choose to upgrade later on.

I'm mainly looking for something that has great sound and is super comfortable -- the whole reason that I am wanting to go custom. The UM2's are comfortable when I get a good seal, but that only happens with Comply Foam and I got through almost a 3-pack a month just using them a couple of times a week.

Thanks In Advance!
Drew

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 14
Look for a used JH-5 and re-shell them.
:)

CJ

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 14
$200 is a pretty tough budget for a custom esp once you factor in shipping and impressions..

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 14
I was in the same boat as you but decided it would be a better investment to purchase the JH5 Pro's. Also have't really heard good things about Alienears. That's my 2 cents!

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
$200 is a pretty tough budget for a custom esp once you factor in shipping and impressions..

Yeah, when you factor in all the costs it would be closer to $300. And a $300 universal would probably sound equally good as, if not better than a sub-$200 custom.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 14
Many people have reshelled a Triplefi or even a superfi 5 eb and been very happy. Inearz probably will replace a driver if one malfunctions for a fee. E-mail them.

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 14
a used tf10 reshelled by kozee soundsolutions will only cost just under $200, minus the cost of impressions if you find a audiologist also assuming you can get the tf10 for around $110, probably a better bet than the single driver X1

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 14
reshell klipsch custom 3's

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back