TH-900 Fostex EZ-Simple Mods and other Fostex Dynamic Variants X00...Denon..More Bass ? Mid ? Soundstage ? Smooth trebles ?
Apr 13, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #92 of 216
Ok, let me help you again :D

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/252805-Fostex-8560014000

Crap my bad. Didn't see this before. Ordering now :thumbsup_tone2:

Not sure if the difference are as marked on the th 900 as they are on the th 600, but it really is sounding much better the more I listen. The couple mods I've done have really improved them big time. I wish some one local could measure the frequency response. I'm in Miami.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #93 of 216
I know right ? Every thing contribute bit by bit, and once everything is done. The things that is left would be the foam discs placements, just turn it according to your personal preferences

That is the best thing about Fostex 900
biggrin.gif

Now, would you confirm the trimming makes it worth it ? I do think so. Thanks for the confirmations as well

OK, I gave a chance to my Fostex dampers. With the trimmed pads, the position 2 (your favorite) of the dampers was also my favorite, almost as good as my infinitesimally optimised felt damper. If I'd start tuning now, and I knew all these, I likely wouldn't bother with felt dampers, so high is the variation among different makes. However, the felt damper does sound better in the midrange, and it also shows in the measurements to some extent.

I have also tried my second pair of Fostex dampers, and although they measure 99% identical on FR, IR and CSD, the sound difference is bigger than that would suggest.

So far, the summary:
- the best are the dampers rotations, they do not make measurements changes, nor add any ringing on the CSD, but make the sound a lot better
- the pads trimming seem to add a slight, low level and short decay 3 kHz ringing, and a slightly more elevated and more sustained 9 kHz ringing, but well within limits, and overall sounds better than without it.

Next is the cups damping! I am keeping my custom ear pads, as IMHO they are much better than the stock.

Here is a comparative FR between the 3 dampers, all in position 2 of the EZ mods: 2 Fostex (green and violet) and the felt damper (red). Subjectively, the slight rise at 400 Hz of the felt damper makes a bigger subjective difference than you'd think. Also, the impulse response is slightly faster with the felt dampers. But the stock dampers are very close, when used in position 2.
Don't forget these measurements are with modified earpads and cups damping (I have the paper disk from the basic Lawton mod + half polyfill in the cups).

So far yes, I do confirm these mods work exactly in the way you have described. Thanks!

Edit: don't pay attention to the treble dips, it's mainly caused by measurement methodology and repeatability/re-fitting accuracy. I should use an in-ear microphone for the treble alone, then combine the results. However, the comments about the CSD ridges are valid.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #94 of 216
OK, I gave a chance to my Fostex dampers. With the trimmed pads, the position 2 (your favorite) of the dampers was also my favorite, almost as good as my infinitesimally optimised felt damper. If I'd start tuning now, and I knew all these, I likely wouldn't bother with felt dampers, so high is the variation among different makes. However, the felt damper does sound better in the midrange, and it also shows in the measurements to some extent.

I have also tried my second pair of Fostex dampers, and although they measure 99% identical on FR, IR and CSD, the sound difference is bigger than that would suggest.

So far, the summary:
- the best are the dampers rotations, they do not make measurements changes, nor add any ringing on the CSD, but make the sound a lot better
- the pads trimming seem to add a slight, low level and short decay 3 kHz ringing, and a slightly more elevated and more sustained 9 kHz ringing, but well within limits, and overall sounds better than without it.

Next is the cups damping! I am keeping my custom ear pads, as IMHO they are much better than the stock.

Here is a comparative FR between the 3 dampers, all in position 2 of the EZ mods: 2 Fostex (green and violet) and the felt damper (red). Subjectively, the slight rise at 400 Hz of the felt damper makes a bigger subjective difference than you'd think. Also, the impulse response is slightly faster with the felt dampers. But the stock dampers are very close, when used in position 2.
Don't forget these measurements are with modified earpads and cups damping (I have the paper disk from the basic Lawton mod + half polyfill in the cups).

So far yes, I do confirm these mods work exactly in the way you have described. Thanks!

Edit: don't pay attention to the treble dips, it's mainly caused by measurement methodology and repeatability/re-fitting accuracy. I should use an in-ear microphone for the treble alone, then combine the results. However, the comments about the CSD ridges are valid.

Voila! Those measurements are so good, despite the bit of trebles accuracy, but I could tell they are too similar :D. Good to have you confirmed all those above.

my ghost, look at that bass curve and the mid spectrum.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #95 of 216
With all this, it would be really nice to get rid of the deep dips at 500, 2000 and 5000 Hz -- at least the 500 Hz dip is caused by the cups, since without the cups and the green Fostex damper I measure this: (blue line is without cups):

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #97 of 216
Th500 RP has those open back with protective grill :D may want to savage some, and swap on ? Lol....and that will not be EZ mods anymore. Anyways, I also tried the without the wooden cups. The bass will be very flat, and sub-bass rumbles will suffer, the mid (vocal sounds a bit hollow) and it is exactly like what your graph shown.

Therefore, I love the EZ mods with everything. In the end, cups for protection, more bass, soundstage and controlled trebles...isn't this all people had been asking for ? Let's pull some stock graph

Now, we are talking

Compare to the EZ mods, pardon me for borrowing your pick zolkis

My ghost, would you just look at that mid and upper mid ? :D and the sub-bass curve....it is straight out a crazy bass curve lol

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #98 of 216
Therefore, I love the EZ mods with everything. In the end, cups for protection, more bass, soundstage and controlled trebles...isn't this all people had been asking for ? Let's pull some stock graph

Thanks to @playitloud, all I need is on the way. I expect to have fresh graphs in a week:
1. stock vs EZ pad vs EZ damper 1, 2, 3 vs EZ cups,
2. stock vs EZ full,
3. stock vs PZ (playitloud-zolkis) full vs EZ full, and
4. the best combination.

Still, if you have ideas on getting rid of the dips, I am ready to try and measure :).

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #99 of 216
Thanks to @playitloud, all I need is on the way. I expect to have fresh graphs in a week:
1. stock vs EZ pad vs EZ damper 1, 2, 3 vs EZ cups,
2. stock vs EZ full,
3. stock vs PZ (playitloud-zolkis) full vs EZ full, and
4. the best combination.

Still, if you have ideas on getting rid of the dips, I am ready to try and measure :).

Awesome ! Could you take a better pic on the full EZ mod graphs :D I couldn't read the number assigned clear enough lol...please.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #100 of 216
Awesome ! Could you take a better pic on the full EZ mod graphs
biggrin.gif
I couldn't read the number assigned clear enough lol...please.

I don't have a graph of the full EZ mods. The graphs above are for the following combination: EZ pad trim + my carbon foam pads filling + my felt dampers (and the Fostex dampers at EZ #2 position) + my cups damping. So it was a bit too early to add it to the opening post: it's a hybrid, not the EZ mod.

I will now try to do the EZ cups mod, but I'm afraid we don't have that kind of tape here in EU. I should have bought one last week in the States :D. I guess normal thin paper tape should work? Is that paper or cloth?

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #101 of 216
I don't have a graph of the full EZ mods. The graphs above are for the following combination: EZ pad trim + my carbon foam pads filling + my felt dampers (and the Fostex dampers at EZ #2 position) + my cups damping. So it was a bit too early to add it to the opening post: it's a hybrid, not the EZ mod.

I will now try to do the EZ cups mod, but I'm afraid we don't have that kind of tape here in EU. I should have bought one last week in the States :D. I guess normal thin paper tape should work? Is that paper or cloth?

Paper, or synthetic paper, and as long as it is micro--porous :D. I would recommend synthetic paper as it is non absorbent and makes it ideal for this applications. Let's see what we will have you find out and then I will update the post

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #102 of 216
I have found very similar paper tape, and tried it in 3 layers.
When I measured there was a high and sustained 1.5 kHz ridge on the CSD.
It needs the polyfill (at least 3/4 thickness) in order to tame it.
With the polyfill, the CSD is nice and clean, but I still have the 9 kHz ridge on the CSD, albeit reduced. I will deal with this later.

In this respect the EZ cups mod works almost exactly the same way as the paper disk from the Lawton mod + 3/4 size polyfill, only that the latter costs money and it's easier to apply :). Go figure, you have basically replaced the basic Lawton mod!

All in all, I didn't find the EZ cups mod easy to do (I have spent about an hour on it), and they didn't bring much improvements over the stock cups IMHO, but still doesn't harm doing it. Actually it helps the treble.

For really easy mods, I recommend the dampers position #2, and trimming the pads. For more advanced, the EZ cup mods + polyfill.
For even more advanced, the carbon foam pad inserts. For the gourmet's and tinkerers, the felt pad mods. The latter two are described here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/763965/fostex-th900-mods.

Finally here is a graph of the full EZ mods + my carbon foam pads filling:

The carbon foam pads are shallower than the stock, and they are harder and more porous. They will make the sound stage quite much more spacious, the bass better and the mids better filled.

I still prefer the felt dampers over the stock dampers in position #2, but the latter is totally enjoyable, and measures quite close anyway.

Next week when the stock pads are here, I can post measurement of the full EZ mod.

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #103 of 216
Actually, would you try # stock plus position on the foam discs and see ? I think what you are looking for is probably that with the pad trimming and cup dampened, according to this comprehensive post I did

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles#post_12447940

Also, speaking of porous pads, and attenuating the bass down ? I have found these pads

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460596762&sr=8-2&keywords=brainwavz+pads
It seems #3 foam discs and this pads will do the job that you want it to ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back