TH-900 Fostex EZ-Simple Mods and other Fostex Dynamic Variants X00...Denon..More Bass ? Mid ? Soundstage ? Smooth trebles ?
Apr 13, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #76 of 216
I didn't try the 4 cut out on the exact holes, because the pads are easily rolled around, and hence it could be out of places. I did the circumferences cut :D

Leakages is due to the thicker or thinner leather on the base of the pads, and nothing to do with the plastic holes. I couldn't confirm before, but with the Brainwavz pads, I could observe it as they have thicker base leather, they isolate better.

The stock pads has a nice solid leather glues underneath which is very strong and durable. If you trim it just enough, there would still be enough glue to hold them together tight and sweet.

Now, if you cut the Brainwavz pad, they do not have those glues (only a bit), so it would be better to be more careful.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #77 of 216
Actually the pads direction is very well visible, the sewing should point forward, that gives more or less safe indication where the holes are. I think I will start with cutting generously wide portions around the holes, but will still leave enough material to hold the pad. I will see as I will proceed.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #78 of 216
Actually the pads direction is very well visible, the sewing should point forward, that gives more or less safe indication where the holes are. I think I will start with cutting generously wide portions around the holes, but will still leave enough material to hold the pad. I will see as I will proceed.

You are correct, but I was afraid of it rolling while seating on my ears lol....I keep adjusting the bands on my head from times to times :D, and that could be problematic hehehe. Anyways, do what you can, but the effects is very sweet

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #79 of 216
A word about pads, I tried for instance Stax 007 and 009 pads on the TH900, but they had less bass and more mids, maybe because of the larger inner opening. I made measurements with them, it was more linear, but then the fun factor of the TH900 bass was reduced, so I stayed with the Fostex pads with a different fill.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #80 of 216
A word about pads, I tried for instance Stax 007 and 009 pads on the TH900, but they had less bass and more mids, maybe because of the larger inner opening. I made measurements with them, it was more linear, but then the fun factor of the TH900 bass was reduced, so I stayed with the Fostex pads with a different fill.

Just trim your pads :D, you will be surprised hehehehe. I can only tell by my hearings, and I don't have anything to measure it with, so I can't wait to see what you find out about it

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #82 of 216
Just trim your pads
biggrin.gif
, you will be surprised hehehehe. I can only tell by my hearings, and I don't have anything to measure it with, so I can't wait to see what you find out about it

OK, I am through the pads cutting :), only around the holes, in total about half of the total circumference.

There are very, very small FR measurements differences, not worth posting (slightly more waterfall ringings though since my cups were borderline damped), but the effect is audible along the lines you have described. It seems to elevate the mids just a little bit, but enough to notice. I like that the change is quantitatively small, but does make a perceivable qualitative difference.

I will repeat the procedure and measurements with the stock pads, that would be more useful for everyone.
Also, my pads are pretty much worn out, so perhaps the change is bigger with newer pads.

I have also noticed with my other headphones that protein leather pads (and headbands) don't last as long as e.g. sheep skin. Comfortable yes, but make sure you have reserve ones.

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #83 of 216
I know right ? Every thing contribute bit by bit, and once everything is done. The things that is left would be the foam discs placements, just turn it according to your personal preferences

That is the best thing about Fostex 900 :D

Now, would you confirm the trimming makes it worth it ? I do think so. Thanks for the confirmations as well

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #86 of 216
I know right ? Every thing contribute bit by bit, and once everything is done. The things that is left would be the foam discs placements, just turn it according to your personal preferences

That is the best thing about Fostex 900
biggrin.gif

Now, would you confirm the trimming makes it worth it ? I do think so. Thanks for the confirmations as well

Yes, the pads trimming works, albeit I am thinking whether the perceived changed may be actually due to various levels of midrange ringing on the waterfall, which I cannot attest until I get the Fostex pads and undo all my mods before I redo again yours. As I said, my current status of cups damping is interfering with this. On the stock TH900, together with your other changes, probably it works are described.

I don't use the stock foam dampers any more, and I would really like to try the EZ mods on a stock TH900, rather than on the top of my mods, so for now I will skip the dampers rotation.
But with this trimming mod I think I'd need to restore the original foam dampers (I have 2 pairs), they would surely work better, the felt dampers let more midrange through.

All these changes will let through more mids and bass across the tuning holes of the Onken loading, with various combined effects and then there are quite many combinations of these, just like you have described. The interference patterns within the cup and through the Onken is so complex I don't even try to model: empirical methods based on intuition work reasonably well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back