TH-900 Fostex EZ-Simple Mods and other Fostex Dynamic Variants X00...Denon..More Bass ? Mid ? Soundstage ? Smooth trebles ?
Apr 18, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #121 of 216
The hybrid version is flat as well.
The angled pleather version seems to be too thick and too small opening for the thickness.
Since the other thread's favorable measurements were done with the hybrid, I am going with that.
I don't expect much change compared with the leather version, but let's see.

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #122 of 216
He has a TH 600, not a TH 900.

That's correct. Actually been listening a bit more and I swapped the pads back to the stock pads and yes some treble spike/shrill went away very slightly, but honestly overall, I felt like the sound stage closed up. And the bass really sort of stayed the same. On my head the Lawton angle pads are more comfortable too. So I went back to the Lawton pads and I'm just going to keep hunting for the right combo that will just slightly lower the treble spike.

I've got a set of Denon pads on order so I'll be back with an update on those. And when budget allows I'll go for a set of wooden cups. Perhaps from Lawton or else where. Maybe some TH900 cups of I find any.

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #123 of 216
Actually been listening a bit more and I swapped the pads back to the stock pads and yes some treble spike/shrill went away very slightly, but honestly overall, I felt like the sound stage closed up. And the bass really sort of stayed the same. On my head the Lawton angle pads are more comfortable too. So I went back to the Lawton pads and I'm just going to keep hunting for the right combo that will just slightly lower the treble spike.

You say you have the Lawton level 1 cup mods + the Lawton pads on the TH600? I base that assumption on your previous post:
Stock White baffling added to my current combo (Lawton level 1, and dampening disk to position 2) added an overall decrease in everything. Kind of like EQ drop across the board. A slight muffling if you will. Some highs stayed nice and present. It was strange.

Make sure the white polyfill rectangle is at the position as marked in Whitigir's starting post, so that it does not obstruct air flow.

Could you try doing the cups + driver frame mod with the EZ paper tape mod instead of the Lawton level 1 mod? Also keep the white polyfill in the cups at 3/4 thickness of the original thickness (it is formed of 4 thinner layers of polyfill in the TH900 at least), and at correct orientation.

If still shrilly, try adding one more paper tape layer especially to the driver back frame (without obstructing air flow) and see it helps the treble. 

I've got a set of Denon pads on order so I'll be back with an update on those. And when budget allows I'll go for a set of wooden cups. Perhaps from Lawton or else where. Maybe some TH900 cups of I find any.

I am interested on what change the Denon pads bring. Do you mind sharing the source?

If you can't get the TH600 to your liking, what about selling it and getting a TH610 or a (used) TX00 mahogany or a used TH900?
You could keep the Lawton level 1 mod and the Lawton pads. In my experience the TH900 driver is worth the extra price.

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #124 of 216
You say you have the Lawton level 1 cup mods + the Lawton pads on the TH600? I base that assumption on your previous post:

Make sure the white polyfill rectangle is at the position as marked in Whitigir's starting post, so that it does not obstruct air flow.

Could you try doing the cups + driver frame mod with the EZ paper tape mod instead of the Lawton level 1 mod? Also keep the white polyfill in the cups at 3/4 thickness of the original thickness (it is formed of 4 thinner layers of polyfill in the TH900 at least), and at correct orientation.

If still shrilly, try adding one more paper tape layer especially to the driver back frame (without obstructing air flow) and see it helps the treble. 

I am interested on what change the Denon pads bring. Do you mind sharing the source?

If you can't get the TH600 to your liking, what about selling it and getting a TH610 or a (used) TX00 mahogany or a used TH900?
You could keep the Lawton level 1 mod and the Lawton pads. In my experience the TH900 driver is worth the extra price.

Sure as soon as I get home I'll share the link for the Denon pads.

Yes I have the Lawton Tune Up, and pads (together they form Lawton Level 1). Then I moved the dampening disk to position #2 (which is bullet #3 on the list).

I'm not sure if I can remove the Lawton dampening. The material has adhesive on one side and may be tough to remove without breaking or ripping. I'll try some paper tape on top of the Lawton driver dampening.

I wouldn't like to go through the whole selling and then buying process again. I like these as they are just trying to find the last bit of tuning. I know that if I sell these and get THX00, or TH900 I'm going to come right back to this thread and try all the mods again. it seems like the wood cups of the THX00, TH610, TH900 are what will end up resolving the last bit of sound I'm looking for. But wood cups are more $$$ so I'm trying to stay with what I have for right now.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #125 of 216
Another update...

Took 1/2 of the stock white baffling and added it to the cups.And it made things a bit smoother. Kept good bass, great mids and perfect treble now. Tamed them a bit. With the full baffling, they seemed muffled like I mentioned in my previous post. I tried only 1/2 the thickness of the baffling and it doesn't sound condensed, yet it improved the treble smoothness.

In particular during female vocals when they sing and there are words with the letter "S". That sibilant sound has vastly improved.

So as of right now I sit at the following on my TH600:

Lawton Dampening
Lawton Pads
Stock dampening disk position # 2
1/2 thickness stock white baffling

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #126 of 216

Took 1/2 of the stock white baffling and added it to the cups.And it made things a bit smoother. Kept good bass, great mids and perfect treble now. Tamed them a bit. With the full baffling, they seemed muffled like I mentioned in my previous post. I tried only 1/2 the thickness of the baffling and it doesn't sound condensed, yet it improved the treble smoothness.
In particular during female vocals when they sing and there are words with the letter "S". That sibilant sound has vastly improved.

The sibilance improved since you have less resonance on the CSD. Try also with 3/4 thickness and see if it's muffled or it's still OK. I settled at 3/4 thickness on the TH900, but the TH600 may well be different. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #127 of 216
The sibilance improved since you have less resonance on the CSD. Try also with 3/4 thickness and see if it's muffled or it's still OK. I settled at 3/4 thickness on the TH900, but the TH600 may well be different. 

Hmmm 3/4 thickness started to go a bit muffled. The same female vocals started to sound a bit more distant. Maybe it's only a mental effect. But I took it back out and I'm sticking to 1/2. The driver differences and cup differences between the 600 and 900 may be responsible for it.

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #128 of 216
Hmmm 3/4 thickness started to go a bit muffled. The same female vocals started to sound a bit more distant. Maybe it's only a mental effect. But I took it back out and I'm sticking to 1/2. The driver differences and cup differences between the 600 and 900 may be responsible for it.

Yes, I had the same experience with the TH900, I settled with 1/2 thickness based on auditive tests, and I was surprised to see that the 3 kHz ridge on the CSD is still there (albeit damped). The 3/4 thickness took away the ridge, but it sounded more damped as well. This effect was why I said my ears tricked me during the testing, somehow I preferred the livelier sound with the midrange resonance. It's perhaps because it's compensating lack of mids elsewhere, and our brain can do a better job on the overall compensation. Anyway, do as your preference dictates. :)

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #129 of 216
Zolkis - How does the stock+ position measure on the foam positioning? Does the foam positioning change the freq response tests by much?

I've tried all 4 foam dampening positions, and to my ears, stock+ is my favorite.

I think you also said you prefer the #2 positioning on the foam. To me, they sound a little boring while in position 2. Stock+ sounds more lively.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #130 of 216
I thought I had a good source for Denon pads but no luck. Couldn't order them. Next best thing would be the pads from the TH500RP. They look very similar to the Denon pads. Any ideas if they are the same? Or where to get?

Edit: Actually if I can find TH-X00 pads would be even better. Although I think they are very similar.

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #131 of 216
  Zolkis - How does the stock+ position measure on the foam positioning? Does the foam positioning change the freq response tests by much?

I've tried all 4 foam dampening positions, and to my ears, stock+ is my favorite.

I think you also said you prefer the #2 positioning on the foam. To me, they sound a little boring while in position 2. Stock+ sounds more lively.

I need to get my new stock TH900 pads before I could measure that. All measurements published here before have been with my modded pads. Perhaps next weekend or after we'll know more.

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #132 of 216
I continue to search for pads that are similar to the denons. The only thing I see are some imitation types on eBay. Not too sure they will be 100% accurate. I'd rather try brainwavz angles before some cheap China ones.

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #133 of 216
I have received the replacement Fostex earpads, together with some nice cup damping material from @playitloud.
Measurement series is starting here. I will post them as I go forward.

As a warm-up, I measured my current modded version (carbon pads, EZ paper modded cups + 3/4 polyfill, felt dampers), denoted with red color, vs the same thing except the felt damper changed to the stock damper, in 4 positions described in Whitigir's opening post: stock, then stock plus (#1), #2 and #3.
Note that #2 and #3 are virtually the same, except #2 has a bit higher treble peak at 7 kHz, but lower peaks at higher frequencies.

It is nice to see how the bass response is moving up from the stock position (blue) to #1 (violet), then to #2 (green) and #3 (yellow), and then to my mod (red) which is about 2-3 dB louder, not to be compared directly.

Next up: stock Fostex TH900, plus damper positions.

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #135 of 216
The stock TH900: stock pads, stock cups damping, with the white polyfill rectangle rotated in the correct direction (not blocking the vent) -- this was the original setting on my TH900.

Curiously, with an unmodified stock TH900 pad, there is virtually no measurable difference between the damper positions in the frequency response, but there are other audible differences. 

1. Stock TH900
Waterfall: slight 3 kHz hash
THD: 0.56%

2. Stock TH900 + Damper position #1
Waterfall: more 3 kHz hash
THD: 0.5%

3. Stock TH900 + Damper position #2
Waterfall: clean, no 3 kHz hash
THD: 0.475%

4. Stock TH900 + Damper position #3
Waterfall: 3 kHz hash between 1 and 2
THD: 0.45%

Distortion is about the same, but the CSD is cleaner with #2. With all others there was a slight hash/resonance around 3.5 kHz.

Nondestructive EZ mods winner: damper position #2, or #3.

Next up: trimming the pads around the holes in the white plastic holders, and repeat all 4 damper positions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back