TH-900 Fostex EZ-Simple Mods and other Fostex Dynamic Variants X00...Denon..More Bass ? Mid ? Soundstage ? Smooth trebles ?
Apr 26, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #151 of 216
I did notice a bit of ringing when I didn't have the polyfill on certain tracks. I would pause the song right at a certain time/tone, and there was a very faint decaying ring. Almost like something vibrating with the music and then when the music stop, the vibration would decay but it was slightly audible. After the 1/2 polyfill I don't have it anymore. So there was definitely something ringing and It was noticeable at least to my ears.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #153 of 216
Update: the wool felt damper rings are way much more clear with piano music than the stock foam dampers in whatever position... there is also more immediacy and better microdynamics. Check it out in the TH900 mods thread.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #154 of 216
I have trimmed and assembled the Brainwavz hybrid leather-velour vented pads. It works well with the original dampers, IIRC it's better than the leather one, but there is much more treble coming through. I will measure them in the evening (when there is silence in the house).
The carbon pads are still the ones to beat on subjective basis.
I can imagine that the Brainwavz hybrid helps a lot the Stax 007, will see soon.
A more thorough pad comparison (subjective and measured) is coming soon: stock TH900, trimmed TH900, carbon foam TH900, Brainwavz flat leather, and Brainwavz hybrid. Only the Brainwavz leather angled and the Lawton pads are missing at the moment :D. I might consider buying the Brainwavz angled ones, but not the Lawtons.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #155 of 216
I have trimmed and assembled the Brainwavz hybrid leather-velour vented pads. It works well with the original dampers, IIRC it's better than the leather one, but there is much more treble coming through. I will measure them in the evening (when there is silence in the house).
The carbon pads are still the ones to beat on subjective basis.
I can imagine that the Brainwavz hybrid helps a lot the Stax 007, will see soon.
A more thorough pad comparison (subjective and measured) is coming soon: stock TH900, trimmed TH900, carbon foam TH900, Brainwavz flat leather, and Brainwavz hybrid. Only the Brainwavz leather angled and the Lawton pads are missing at the moment :D. I might consider buying the Brainwavz angled ones, but not the Lawtons.

Omg! Thank you for all of the services on modifications to find the next best thing out of th900 :D.

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #157 of 216
The angled Brainwavz earpads come later...

[Edit] No, actually I don't buy these. Too high in the back. I am going to modify the flat leather earpads to have the same 20 mm height at the front as the angled one, and keep the 30 mm height at the back (vs 40 mm for the angled version).

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #158 of 216
OK just a bit more tuning done. Right now I'm listening to the TH-600, with the perfect circles of drawer/shelf liner right under the pads. Really seemed to help sibilance right around the 5-6khz Range. The "sss" in female vocals are more tolerable, although I doing now exactly how it affects the rest of the FR. Zolkis, or Whitigir any chance you guys can try? Heres a link specific to the fostex, but I did find a few other posts relevant to Hfimans, and sennheiser.

post #2405

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #161 of 216
Please don't touch the TH-X00, especially with Lawton 1, which was not meant for the X00!
The TH-X00 is a bit overdamped perhaps when compared to a TH900, but it's the best measuring Fostex TH-600 based OEM to date. The guys who have done that are geniuses, or just got lucky, it's sometimes close anyway :).
So please respect their work and don't touch the X00 :).
Eventually try rotating the foam damper ring between positions 1, 2, and 3, and otherwise just enjoy the music :).

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #162 of 216
  OK just a bit more tuning done. Right now I'm listening to the TH-600, with the perfect circles of drawer/shelf liner right under the pads. 

I don't know what do you mean by that. Did you insert rings between the pads and the driver assembly under the pads, elevating the pads? If so, also try cutting felt rings of suitable size for using them under the pads, it should work better.

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #163 of 216
Please don't touch the TH-X00, especially with Lawton 1, which was not meant for the X00!
The TH-X00 is a bit overdamped perhaps when compared to a TH900, but it's the best measuring Fostex TH-600 based OEM to date. The guys who have done that are geniuses, or just got lucky, it's sometimes close anyway :).
So please respect their work and don't touch the X00 :).
Eventually try rotating the foam damper ring between positions 1, 2, and 3, and otherwise just enjoy the music :).

Where are the dampening differences on the TH-X00, that aren't present in the TH-600. Obviously the cups and pads but anything internal on the driver? Do they come dampened from factory? I'm just asking so we can to mimic that in the TH-600

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #164 of 216
Where are the dampening differences on the TH-X00, that aren't present in the TH-600. Obviously the cups and pads but anything internal on the driver? Do they come dampened from factory? I'm just asking so we can to mimic that in the TH-600

The wood cups are likely the main difference, and the pads are the second main difference, that is pretty sure. 

The rest I would know only by disassembling the X00. Internal stuffing may also be different. I doubt they have changed the driver loading (the number and positions of open holes in the driver assembly), but it may be possible.

If someone owns an X00 (mahogany version of course), and would like to do a community service, and doesn't fear losing warranty, open it and share the pictures :).

But almost as useful would be to try the X00 with replacement Fostex TH900 (or TH600) pads, and tell the difference. I would love to measure the X00 with various pads, but ATM I won't buy one just for that purpose.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #165 of 216
I don't know what do you mean by that. Did you insert rings between the pads and the driver assembly under the pads, elevating the pads? If so, also try cutting felt rings of suitable size for using them under the pads, it should work better.

I cut a perfect circle to the exact inner diameter of the foam dampening ring. Then just placed it in. And put the pads back on. Nothing elevated.

The liner material sits in the void that exist between the earpad fabric, and the drive grille. So it's just a drop in. ill take a picture later to show. To remove it, I just take the pads off, turn the headphones and the liner falls right out. It creates no resistance whatsoever, and doesn't flip around or vibrate.

I've been busy and haven't listened anymore but I remember the "SSss" sounds being much smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back