Test sounds to test blown drivers before ordering new ones
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ninoni

New Head-Fier
i just want to be sure if my drivers are blown , i tryed hearing test on left and right driver and from 20 to 60 hz on
both driver they sound like theyre blown trough different equipment , anyone knows some software or test cd
so i can test to be sure before ordering new drivers ?
Thank You  

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 7
Are you sure you're not just clipping the amps you're using? If the drivers are blown, they should be distorted at all frequencies, not just the low end. But it's the low end that distorts first when you're clipping an amp.

Also, most blown drivers make no sound at all. If you toasted the voicecoils, then you wouldn't get any sound.

Another possibility might be hairs on the drivers - seems common with Grados. Take a look to make sure.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 7
i opened them but theye are clean i tryed to connect them directly to cd player , 2 different outputs on head amp , directly to pc headphone out and trough output on my florstanders amp , but they just sound distorted in some songs (half of them) like old speaker last 2-3 weeks , sound is just not the same highs are harsh especially on hi hats , and i can hear distorted sound above 20 30 db from 25 to 60 hertz and from 18 khz to 20 khz little less on hearing test or frequency sweeps , on both drivers

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Weaker drivers will wobble when playing low frequencies at high volumes (e.g. my Ksc75s and...to a lesser degree... Yuin G2As will have wobbly bass when I play bass-heavy songs at high vol). You sure they did NOT have such distortions in the past?

Quote:
i opened them but theye are clean i tryed to connect them directly to cd player , 2 different outputs on head amp , directly to pc headphone out and trough output on my florstanders amp , but they just sound distorted in some songs (half of them) like old speaker last 2-3 weeks , sound is just not the same highs are harsh especially on hi hats , and i can hear distorted sound above 20 30 db from 25 to 60 hertz and from 18 khz to 20 khz little less on hearing test or frequency sweeps , on both drivers

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 7
headphones are hd650, i am 100% sure they have not had that distortions before , i put them 2 weeks ago on head and immediatelly knew that something is wrong , just different sound harsh and wrong and sometimes muddy, i tryed to clean them,  remove the pads,  remove the coushin under the pads, different cable
different amp, but they just sound wrong , then reinstall sound card drivers , try them dirrectly in hp out on pc and then directly trough hp out on cd player but hi hats sound so loud and harsh and never was and bass guitar wobble on many songs , and then i tryed again to test them with hearing test and i found that they wobble like old speaker on low frequencies and they sound clean when i was testing them when they were 2-3 months old , now theyre 8 months old.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 7
Then it's likely some form of local driver damage...you explained that it occurs @ both sides?

Have you opened up the entire thing and inspected the diaphragms? Maybe some sort of residue (someone accidentally knocked some drink on these but managed to wipe them clean on the outside? lol) got on them for one reason or another, which would easily alter the sound for the worse.

Quote:
headphones are hd650, i am 100% sure they have not had that distortions before , i put them 2 weeks ago on head and immediatelly knew that something is wrong , just different sound harsh and wrong and sometimes muddy, i tryed to clean them,  remove the pads,  remove the coushin under the pads, different cable
different amp, but they just sound wrong , then reinstall sound card drivers , try them dirrectly in hp out on pc and then directly trough hp out on cd player but hi hats sound so loud and harsh and never was and bass guitar wobble on many songs , and then i tryed again to test them with hearing test and i found that they wobble like old speaker on low frequencies and they sound clean when i was testing them when they were 2-3 months old , now theyre 8 months old.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 7
thanks jerg and unckle for all help, yeah i never spill anything on them , only thing that i could see that is maybee not normal is that black lines that are like net writen with black flomaster (thats what they look like ?totaly different from hd600 , hd600 have driver with that black net and hd650 have metal plate that doesnt move when hp playing and that same black lines are earsed a little ?) on silver plate are like little earased in some places , and that plate is stif like aluminum plate and not like driver in HD600 , maybee is that plate above real driver bc it doesnt move when i plug headphones like in hd600 , the only thing that is same is that transparent plastic cone in the middle ? could it be deflated driver i didnt opened them from back side so i couldnt see , but they are still under warranty and i dont want to avoid warranty. i just want to be sure before sending them in service if they dont find anything wrong they will charge me. So if anyone know some test tunes that will show for sure that hp is not reproduce sound as is should , Thanks  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back