Terrific headphones under 400$ !!!
Jan 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #16 of 38
Are you in Australia? If not ask around in any of the Fischer Audio threads. 

If you dont like DT770 yo wont like any DT series, all the same. In fact most of their range fits the same- so comfy!

Go for the M100 then. Not a fan of the senns.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #17 of 38
Thats what I kept reading consistently. Not much love for the Senns from people who like bass.
But im no Bass head in any sense. So aim still considering it, due its overall consistency across the frequency spectrum. My only fear is having to spend as much for the amp to get some decent bass out of it.
Only think I dont like about HE-400 so far is its bulkiness and metal head band with not enough padding.
With Pro 900 I dont know how bright it can be.

I guess I really need people who tried out these phones to chime in and shed some light.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:
Thats what I kept reading consistently. Not much love for the Senns from people who like bass.
But im no Bass head in any sense. So aim still considering it, due its overall consistency across the frequency spectrum. My only fear is having to spend as much for the amp to get some decent bass out of it.
Only think I dont like about HE-400 so far is its bulkiness and metal head band with not enough padding.
With Pro 900 I dont know how bright it can be.

I guess I really need people who tried out these phones to chime in and shed some light.

I'm not sure what phones I should compare them to. The best example for me would be DT990 which are very bright but not overly bright.

In your case it would be DT770, which I have also tried. How did you find the highs? Did they seem too forward? Quite bright? I felt they were less bright than DT990, but for the sake of comparison let's try this for bright: If a cymbal strikes on DT770 they sound bright (as they should, but perhaps not as smooth as on DT990) yet it does sound almost as a cymbal should - Well, on the PRO900 the cymbal would be very sibilant, and same thing would go for female vocals. So a cymbal would sound very hissy, like a very bright "Ssssssss". In some tracks, Florence + the Machine comes to mind, its so shrill and unbearing when she sings that I lower the volume or change headphones as soon as I hear words with /s/, /t/, /z/. However, genre-based, Dubstep for example, has many female vocalists but I find a certain balance between the treble spike and the pounding bass to work and even itself out and for such tracks I find the PRO900 to have great dynamics and feel more lively and punchy.

You'd have to hear them yourself first though before you make your mind up, I think it's really personal with PRO900 unlike HD650 which is a safer bet in general. If you're not into EDM though, the only other field I feel the PRO900 has good ground on is in some movies and games. And if you're no bass head then you can go for better and safer alternatives. I've used M50 which are great but they can get a little bright, too. I hear COP should be better, but I have yet to try them out.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 38
When I tried the DT770, I didnt find it to be overly bright. Havent tried it long enough though to know if it would cause any fatigue after long use.
But you used a great way to explain the brightness in terms of a song. I like that very much, cuz it gives an exact idea of what to expect with regard to the brightness of a headphone.

So let me ask you this, which would pretty much be a good gauge for me to understand the brightness of the Pro 900.

If you were to listen to Annie Lenox - Little Bird (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5rwJYiOI6Y) on your Pro 900, would you describe it to be playing it too bright like how u described Florence + the machine. Because Little Bird is a great example of the kind of music I would want to listen to on the Pro. That song has great vocals, also at the same time there is fantastic bass in it, and I wouldnt want to lose the bass by settling for a warmer headphone.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #20 of 38
when i tried the pro900, i didnt find them sibilant but listening to EDM, i found the bass quantity overwhelming
i tried the he500, which apprently has a similar sound signature to the he400 but with toned down bass according to reiews, and i found them a good match for edm
the pro900 are really a love it or hate it thing

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #21 of 38
HE-400 is not like the hd650. They are very fast, but still warm with a very impressive but not overpowering bass and a little bit of sparkle in the treble. Also the mid range is still full and engaging, despite them being fast. The pads have padding enough.
The hd650 is warm, with less treble. They also seem a little more 'slow' and less aggressive. The bass does not seem as impressive.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:
When I tried the DT770, I didnt find it to be overly bright. Havent tried it long enough though to know if it would cause any fatigue after long use.
But you used a great way to explain the brightness in terms of a song. I like that very much, cuz it gives an exact idea of what to expect with regard to the brightness of a headphone.

So let me ask you this, which would pretty much be a good gauge for me to understand the brightness of the Pro 900.

If you were to listen to Annie Lenox - Little Bird (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5rwJYiOI6Y) on your Pro 900, would you describe it to be playing it too bright like how u described Florence + the machine. Because Little Bird is a great example of the kind of music I would want to listen to on the Pro. That song has great vocals, also at the same time there is fantastic bass in it, and I wouldnt want to lose the bass by settling for a warmer headphone.

Annie Lennox has such a smooth and soft voice and it worked quite well to listen to this particular track with PRO900. Florence however tends to almost sing with the top of her lungs so it occasionally overpowers the instruments (in a good way, but not on the PRO900). Annie Lennox's voice blends perfectly in with the beat I feel. The only sibilance I noticed on this track was from the beat, not her voice.
Edit: After double checking it was a little shrilling by middle-end where there were many s-words, but overall her voice worked OK with the Ultrasones.

This one for example has a brighter beat and there I actually notice a fair amount of sibilance, but it was more shrilling unfortunately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JtH68PJIQLE#!

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #23 of 38
Damn ! I'm kinda leaning towards the HE - 400 . For a 409 price with velour pads (some says its good / actually most say / or is it all of them? ) and and ortho , many say it can compete with the more expensive ortho !
For the Mad Dogs , I would wanna take them but they're modded . Although it makes it better but for such a price , its better to buy the HE-400.
For the DT series , the look astoundingly beautiful but  I kinda choose HE-400 over them !
Sennheiser's , not interested in Senn's product !

HE - 400 looks amazing . Too bad cant bring them to my boarding school !

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:
Damn ! I'm kinda leaning towards the HE - 400 . For a 409 price with velour pads (some says its good / actually most say / or is it all of them? ) and and ortho , many say it can compete with the more expensive ortho !
For the Mad Dogs , I would wanna take them but they're modded . Although it makes it better but for such a price , its better to buy the HE-400.
For the DT series , the look astoundingly beautiful but  I kinda choose HE-400 over them !
Sennheiser's , not interested in Senn's product !

HE - 400 looks amazing . Too bad cant bring them to my boarding school !

What's wrong with modded? I bet that you can spend that much money and time for material and still cant get it as good as Mrspeaker did with the Mad Dog. I own both HE-400 and Mad Dog, and I still keep both because there is use for it. 
Back to topic, I think Vmoda M100 fit your criteria better. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:
What's wrong with modded? I bet that you can spend that much money and time for material and still cant get it as good as Mrspeaker did with the Mad Dog. I own both HE-400 and Mad Dog, and I still keep both because there is use for it. 
Back to topic, I think Vmoda M100 fit your criteria better. 

Oh well , I've decided to get the HE-400 as it can play most genre and theres a lot of good reviews!

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #26 of 38
Good choice. If you haven't had a chance to stop by and do some reading on the he400 impressions and discussion thread, please do.

Welcome to the club...

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:
Annie Lennox has such a smooth and soft voice and it worked quite well to listen to this particular track with PRO900. Florence however tends to almost sing with the top of her lungs so it occasionally overpowers the instruments (in a good way, but not on the PRO900). Annie Lennox's voice blends perfectly in with the beat I feel. The only sibilance I noticed on this track was from the beat, not her voice.
Edit: After double checking it was a little shrilling by middle-end where there were many s-words, but overall her voice worked OK with the Ultrasones.

This one for example has a brighter beat and there I actually notice a fair amount of sibilance, but it was more shrilling unfortunately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JtH68PJIQLE#!

oh...i wanted the Pro 900 to do much better, but looks like it might be a little too bright for me.
Looks like its down to the open ended cans now...HE-400 or HD650..
If only I could audition the HE-400. Any one know if I can listen to them anywhere?
Dont want to buy it, try it and return it. Doesnt feel right to do that.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #28 of 38
I hear that Justin from headroom will be circulated a demo pair soon...possibly. You might want to pm him.

gL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back