MiyuuKun

New Head-Fier
I've been looking into several cans

- Mad Dogs by MrSpeaker
- Ultrasone Pro 900
- Beyer DT 880 (250 Ohm)
- HE-400

Questions :-

Mad Dogs - Are they just a modded headphone from the Fostex T50RP? Or its their own headphone that they modified themselves ?

Ultrasone Pro 900 - Do these can really create a lot of hiss?

HE-400 - Some say the Mad Dogs are better , is it true?

Criteria of the phones :-

- Better isolation than the beats 
- Unspeakable comfortness 
- Preferably closed back as I want superb noise isolation 
- Good soundstage 
- Detachable cable for precaution if the cables breaks ( not necessary if the headphone is rather good )
- Looks cool and not too bulky
- Good bass
- I listen to techno and modern music 

I'll be pairing the headphone with Fiio E11

Any suggestion besides those mentioned is greatly welcome !

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 38
Quote:

- Mad Dogs by MrSpeaker
- Ultrasone Pro 900
- Beyer DT 880 (250 Ohm)
- HE-400

I really have to suggest to scratch HE-400 off your list as per requirement, the main reason is they are open backed headphones and obviously give zero isolation.

Quote:
Mad Dogs - Are they just a modded headphone from the Fostex T50RP? Or its their own headphone that they modified themselves ?

Yes they are modded Fostex T50 RP but are not modded by Fostex. It was a guy buying the the T 50 RP cans and modded them.

And for your music preference, I would narrow it down to Ultrasone and the Beyer since I don't think MD will fit especially techno music...

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 38
The beyer does not isolate...

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 38
Whoopsie,

Forgot about the semi-closed nature of the beyers...

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

I really have to suggest to scratch HE-400 off your list as per requirement, the main reason is they are open backed headphones and obviously give zero isolation.

Yes they are modded Fostex T50 RP but are not modded by Fostex. It was a guy buying the the T 50 RP cans and modded them.

And for your music preference, I would narrow it down to Ultrasone and the Beyer since I don't think MD will fit especially techno music...

Oh yea , I just found out they're open , damn , they got so good reviews on them !
Quote:
The beyer does not isolate...

Beyer Cancelled 
Quote:
Whoopsie,

Forgot about the semi-closed nature of the beyers...

I initially thought they were fully closed 

Although I listen mostly to techno and modern music , I also listen to other genre quite a lot , so any phones that can play most/all would really be nice , and I'm starting to consider open-back as there so mmuch better soundstage although they dont isolate 

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 38
Then, consider the HE-400. But it is heavy, big and bulky. Else the comfort is decent

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 38
Good isolation, closed, under $400, nice bass texture and impact...Maddogs!! Good looks? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't call them sexy though. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:
Why are you so worried about soundstage?  Soundstage isn't really important when listening to the type of music you listen to.

But I need them if I wanna watch some movies ? 

Eitherway, HE-400 looks  tempting with its good review although they are pretty much bulky , and for the Mad Dogs , I think the HE-400 would be a great upragde from the Mad Dogs since its only a 100$ different , whats your opinion ? 

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 38
Bump ^

I am in the exact situation trying to choose a headphone.

Here are what I have shortlisted so far:
HE-400
Ultrasone Pro 900
Sennheiser HD650

Here are my criteria in order of preference

1) Need atleast some amount of decent bass (Hoping HD650 can do some decent bass with a entry-mid level amp [Considering Fiio E17. Doesnt make sense spending more on an amp, right now. I can be convinced to spend more if it makes a noticeable difference.])
2) Am not looking for too bright a headphone (Hoping Pro 900 is not too bright, even though there is some sibilance), because I would want to wear it for atleast couple of hours .
I listen to music that has vocals as well as music that has bass.
3) Needs to be comfortable. (Hoping HE-400 is close to being as comfortable as the HD650. [I only tried HD428 in a retail store and they were very comfortable.])
4) Looks wise my preference is HD650 >= Pro 900 > HE-400

And lastly, I am having a tough time trying to find places where I can audition the HE-400. And also havent been able to find it and the HD650 anywhere where it sells below MSRP.

Thanks in advance to all the people who have gone thru this phase. and can help out.

Hoping to get from
blink.gif
to
atsmile.gif
soon.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 38
I'd like to comment but haven't used the Mad dogs yet. But, from all the things i have heard, a tempting option. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:
Bump ^

I am in the exact situation trying to choose a headphone.

Here are what I have shortlisted so far:
HE-400
Ultrasone Pro 900
Sennheiser HD650

Here are my criteria in order of preference

1) Need atleast some amount of decent bass (Hoping HD650 can do some decent bass with a entry-mid level amp [Considering Fiio E17. Doesnt make sense spending more on an amp, right now. I can be convinced to spend more if it makes a noticeable difference.])
2) Am not looking for too bright a headphone (Hoping Pro 900 is not too bright, even though there is some sibilance), because I would want to wear it for atleast couple of hours .
I listen to music that has vocals as well as music that has bass.
3) Needs to be comfortable. (Hoping HE-400 is close to being as comfortable as the HD650. [I only tried HD428 in a retail store and they were very comfortable.])
4) Looks wise my preference is HD650 >= Pro 900 > HE-400

And lastly, I am having a tough time trying to find places where I can audition the HE-400. And also havent been able to find it and the HD650 anywhere where it sells below MSRP.

Thanks in advance to all the people who have gone thru this phase. and can help out.

Hoping to get from
blink.gif
to
atsmile.gif
soon.

Don't expect a lot of bass if you're looking into HD650, they are overall tonally warm and neutral with a little bump in the mid-bass, but it does not extend to the lows well. HD650 Are fairly comfortable but nothing can beat the Beyers, my god they are great on the head. You'd get more bass than HD650 on DT770 80ohm and DT990 250ohm. HE-400 should be similar to HD650 with a few differences, one being the better bass than the Sennheisers but also less comfortable - though this is what I've read so far, I don't own them but I'm going to try them out soon and compare them to my HD650.

This could apply to OP as well: Be careful with considering the PRO900, they have the most bass of all these phones, but also the greatest amount of treble and are very sibilant (like extremely bright!) on many tracks - may it be EDM, Hip Hop or Dubstep. I only prefer them to the aforementioned genres but also games and movies due to its steep V-curve.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 38
Give the Sennheiser Momentum's a try. Go to your local Apple store, as they usually have them.
If not them, the V-Moda M-100's have comparable sound, with a bit more bass detail.
The Momentum's win on the mids front, however the M-100's can be well modded to improve matters, and with a bit of EQing.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

- Mad Dogs by MrSpeaker
- Ultrasone Pro 900
- Beyer DT 880 (250 Ohm)
- HE-400

- Better isolation than the beats 
- Unspeakable comfortness 
- Preferably closed back as I want superb noise isolation 
- Good soundstage 
- Detachable cable for precaution if the cables breaks ( not necessary if the headphone is rather good )
- Looks cool and not too bulky
- Good bass
- I listen to techno and modern music 

- Mad Dogs by MrSpeaker
- Ultrasone Pro 900 [fits everything you want, but the comfort. Some people including myself find the headband unbearable.]
- Beyer DT 880 (250 Ohm)
- HE-400
- Beyer DT770 
- Fischer FA-002W
-Vmoda M100
-AKG K167/K267

If your not going to be using these outside, or in a situation where you wont be disturbing others:
FA-011
HE400
In that order

I strongly suggest you try these 5-6 cans before buying anything. If i had to guess id say you will end up buying either a DT770, K267, or M100. But please try all of them.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 38
I am more interested in tighter cleaner bass compared to a headphone that goes down bit more into the lower extensions. Thats the reason I still have HD650 in my list, hoping it has tight enough bass that I can live with.
I tried the Beyer DT770, but contrary to most peoples suggestions that they are very comfortable, I didnt like them. They fit well over the head, true.But when it comes to the ears, they felt too dome like, and I felt like I was wearing a cheap russian hat around my ears . No offense to anyone liking them, its just my opinion.
wink.gif

As much as I fear a bright headphone, I still have Pro 900 in the list is only because I read it is good for movies (20-25% of my use goes towards movies). Makes it an all rounder. But havent heard it, so am not able to tell if its too bright for me. Cuz i care more about music than movies.
FA are good looking headphones. Any idea know where I can audition those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back