Tempting new Virtual Dynamics power cord-- $50!
Aug 20, 2002 at 12:12 PM Post #556 of 698
DarkAnge, stop tempting me from upgrading!

The IEC female is very very loose, even without the cable's weight. It seems never fully inserted and going to slip off at any time without some assistant.
My green dot cable hold 100x firmer, even stock cord is 99x firmer.

BTW, I live only 1 hr from VD !!
cool.gif

Aug 21, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #558 of 698
Well I got it yesterday. And I have not had time to do any real listening. I only have set up a digital cable from my dvd-a player to my pre/pro and have not really listened, but I have noticed more detail and a richer sound and better soundstage. Probably won't get a chance to really listen for a couple of days. I'll keep you hanging on until then.

Carl

Aug 21, 2002 at 12:49 PM Post #560 of 698
PM
VD has cable cooker now and I "think" all cables get cooked before sending out, you may want to verify this with Rick. My new Reference I just got sounded great after 24hrs of play, put yours on the Phiilips SACD and listen to the soundstage expand, keep the VD phone number handy for next call, heh,heh. (JA and BK have it on speed dial)

Carl
Don't tease us, get those Nites in and take off work. Aren't they beautiful cables, nice audio jewelry for your system.

Aug 22, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #562 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
PM
VD has cable cooker now and I "think" all cables get cooked before sending out, you may want to verify this with Rick.

FWIW I asked about cable cooking when I ordered my Power 1's a couple of weeks ago, and it cost a bit extra (I added it to save burnin time).

I have my Power 1's now but am letting my new speaker cable burn in a bit first before adding them to the system. I want to be able to listen for any changes specifically due to the AC cords.

Aug 23, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #563 of 698
Same here, mines weren't cooked.

More questions: Okay I have the Reference SOL connected to my source, and it does x to the soundstage, and x to the bass response, and x to high frequency detail, and background noise. What happens as you add more VD AC cords to the system? Do you just get gobs more of the same stuff or what? How much more soundstaging does one need?

Does it seem as though these cords are adding their own voice to the sound? When I asked VD to describe the sonic characteristics of the Ref. they gave me the generic response that they are transparent and as such, will only reveal the truth of the given system.

So what do you think is going on? Are we attaining new levels of transparency, or are we just tweaking the sound of our systems this way and that?

Aug 23, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #564 of 698
I don't think they're "tweaking" the sound or altering it. When I think of altering the sound, I think of reducing parts of the signal or hyping others unnaturally. I agree with VD that their cables just allow your component to operate closer to it's ultimate potential. You're hearing more of the component, not the cable.

markl

Aug 24, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #565 of 698
I thought I would post some initial feedback on the nite series. First, I have only been able to listen to the digital cable and a power cable to my pre/pro but I can tell that there is a significant improvement in the timbre of notes, the sound of the instruments and voices, the overall sound is more natural. I have also noticed an increase in the volume at the same setting. I am currently installing one cable at a time and spending some time listening to each. Will keep you up to date. This one is a keeper.

Carl

Aug 24, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #567 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
So what do you think is going on? Are we attaining new levels of transparency, or are we just tweaking the sound of our systems this way and that?

I think there is much more going on here than just some tonal shifting. This was discussed many posts ago, but there is definitely some smearing/distortion that is removed by these AC cords. The effect sounds similar to upgrading isolation devices or upgading CDP, it reminds me of the first time I tried bearings under my gear. Just an overall increase in fine detail retrieval and big increase in 3D soundstage.

The effect is gradually increased as add VD AC cords and/or move up the line to Nite series. In my system the P3,P2 sound a bit too warm/relaxed.....the Reference is much better but just slightly on the warm side.........the Nite is just about perfect tonal balance for me. If you swap a Zu Mother for a VD Reference you will notice much more treble energy, which will be good or bad depending on your system. The VD Reference/Nite however are better at 3D presentation vs Mother (or just about any other AC cord in their price range)

I will be getting Bel Canto Dac 2 upgrade very soon, which should give me a bit more treble extension, and may cause me to do some more cable swapping. Also AZ Silver Reference ICs arrive Tuesday.

Carl & PM
How about some more details on sound changes you are hearing.

Aug 24, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #568 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

The effect is gradually increased as add VD AC cords and/or move up the line to Nite series. In my system the P3,P2 sound a bit too warm/relaxed.....the Reference is much better but just slightly on the warm side.........the Nite is just about perfect tonal balance for me. If you swap a Zu Mother for a VD Reference you will notice much more treble energy, which will be good or bad depending on your system. The VD Reference/Nite however are better at 3D presentation vs Mother (or just about any other AC cord in their price range)

Interesting take, DA. I sometimes get the impression that my system lies somewhere from warm to dark, and I have a stong aversion to the slightest hint of brightness.

I have about 50 hr. on the Ref. SOL. Right off the bat the Reference had a smoother top end than my well broken in Mother PC. At about 30 hours, the midrange has bloomed a little and at 40 hours I noticed that the soundstage has opened up as well. So far I'd say the Reference is more highly resolving of micro-details than the Mother. This is most apparent with well recorded classical discs. My guess is that this is somehow related to a cleaner and quieter background, as well as a more sharply presented sense of image. I'm impressed, although I'll hold judgement till I hit 150 hours or so.

Rick recommended I move the Ref. over to my amps (I'll need one more) and go to a Nite for the cdp. I'll also need another cord for a new preamp (soon to arrive), but I haven't made the decision yet on whether to go with all VD or not. I still think the Nite is over the top for my system, but we'll see. I'm actually in the process of upgrading my system so maybe a complete set of VD pcs might make sense. I tend to agree with the notion of coherence, and do not want to mix and match a bunch of different brands.

Question: I like the physical characteristics of the Reference cord--specifically the tight fit of the male IEC plug, and the wires ability to hold a pre-bent shape. Does the Audition also have these same traits?

Aug 24, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #569 of 698
Audiotion
Reference
Signature
Nite
All these AC cords bend the same way and vary only in amount of filtering and quality differences in male/female connectors.

Somehow I am not surprised Rick would say get a Nite for your CDP, heh,heh. It is a noticeable step up from the References but you have to keep cost in mind. If you were to get one, put it right on the CDP. As I said previously keep the VD number handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back