Tempting new Virtual Dynamics power cord-- $50!
Aug 28, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #586 of 698
Friends,

My computer is still in the shop so I can only check in from time to time but it looks like the thread is still moving right along.

John Acton,

Where is your system now that you've had it for awhile?

Mark,

Check in more often.

Best
Brian

Aug 28, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #587 of 698
You guys need to do a summary of this thread for 'inquiring but lazy minds'
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 28, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #588 of 698
Did some more listening tonight and there WAS a treble roll off in my sound with a Power 3 on the amp and a Power 1 on the CD player. This was mostly noted on cymbals. It was if the upper frequencies were veiled. I wouldn't have been able to live with this. So I switched them and put the better cable on my amp and all my treble came back.
biggrin.gif
. Note that my CD player is feeding into a surround receiver and may be redigitized by the receiver. I will do more swapping in and out of the cables to find out what's happening here and report back. One thing though - the increase in soundstage and depth is impressive.

T^2

Aug 29, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #589 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by CosmicVoid
Did some more listening tonight and there WAS a treble roll off in my sound with a Power 3 on the amp and a Power 1 on the CD player. This was mostly noted on cymbals. It was if the upper frequencies were veiled.
T^2

AHA! So I wasn't hallucinating after all.
wink.gif

Glad you were able to fix it by a simple cable switcharound. My speakers are rather vulnerable to treble rolloff I think (they are on the borderline between 'smooth' and 'rolled-off') so Power 1's all around just did not work.

I've contacted VD and they're sending Reference AC cords--still trying to work out the exact details of the refund but I think they will credit me fully for the Power 1's, which I'm sending back.

I hope the treble rolloff is not a 'house sound'. If it is, it might work really well on most systems (IMHO most speakers and even many headphones are too bright) but not on mine....

Aug 29, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #590 of 698
Brian,

My system is simply singing right now. I'm afraid to touch anything! I'm being sent a pair of speakers for audition (Meadowlark Swift) and I'm afraid that inserting a new component will upset the fragile balance that is so magical (part of this magic is due to the fact that I've finally got my speaker locations perfectly set up, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to get them perfectly positioned like that again).

The soundstage is pure magic. Sounds emanate from above, beyond and behind the speakers. Sometimes, the central image jumps in front of the speakers, with everything else positioned behind the speakers. The sound is so disassociated from the speakers that I swear sometimes I want to move the speakers out of the way of the music. Incredible realism. Rick's not an audio engineer, he's a friggin' alchemist. These Nites are incredible.

Calanctus, I just returned my References for credit towards the Nites. I think you'll really like the References. The Nites ARE better, but the References still get you the magic. Probably a better bargain than the Nites. Of course, if you have to have the best....

DA - still waiting on my Mapleshade cones. I'll try posting some pics when I get 'em.

Aug 29, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #591 of 698
JA
Yes I do think Cal needs at least one Reference to see what is possible.........but isn't that how we got started and look where we are now, heh heh.

I forgot to mention another reason I like the big Mapleshade brass cones is they match the gold trim on my Musical Fidelity gear, a real fashion statement. It sure do look purty.....

I have been buying stuff like crazy at Audiogon, in the last 10 days I have purchased used:
-AZ Silver Reference ICs
-Bel Canto Dac 2
-AZ Matrix ICs (Mk II version, just got these tonight! PM will hate me even more now)

These AZ cables are great, they blew the HT ProSilway II away but that is another topic, don't get me started.

Cal
Trust me, you will not regret exchanging the P1 for Reference.
Treble extension is much more realistic, soundstage even bigger etc.........your wallet may regret it though
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #592 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
JA

I have been buying stuff like crazy at Audiogon, in the last 10 days I have purchased used:
-AZ Silver Reference ICs
-Bel Canto Dac 2
-AZ Matrix ICs (Mk II version, just got these tonight! PM will hate me even more now)

No, I won't hate you. Why? Because I have been listening for the past three days to a well burned-in pair of AZ Satori speaker cables. These cables have painfully revealed the shortcomings of my previous (and much loved) speaker wires--the Cardas Neutral Reference. The Satoris have a more naturally weighted midrange and a much stronger bass reproduction. They are highly detailed in the upper registers, and yet are not so unforgiving of normal CDs. The Cardas, in my system, are ruthless and bass light.

Re: VD Reference SOL
Mines are burning in beautifully at about 60 hours now. The midrange has filled in considerably, and I am 80% sure at this point that it will have a pemanent place in my system. The one thing I am wary about is midrange bloat, since my system is weighted so heavily towards midband performance that it will not stand too much more. We shall see. I also have two amps and a pre that are in need of AC cords. Hmmm...

Aug 30, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #593 of 698
OK.... Here goes...

Got all my Nite package today, with the exception of the 3 Bi-Wire speaker cables. Regular speaker cables were sent by mistake, so I installed them and bridged them for now until the true Bi-Wire cables arrive.

Here is the setup.

4 Nite Power Cords

1 - Proceed AVP2 Pre
1 - Proceed AMP 5
1 - Rotel 1080 CD/DVD
1 - ExactPower H15A

5 Nite Interconnects to form AVP2 to AMP5 L,R,C,RS,LS.

1 - Nite Sub Interconnect

3 Nite Speaker cables L, R, C Non Bi-Wired for now
Rick is rushing the Bi-Wired replacements,

All is installed and running as of about 6PM PT. Since these were cooked, I should have alot more to say later tomorrow or this weekend about sound quality. This is a wholesale change of all cables in 1 shot.

Initial Impressions are that the Nite Power cords fit alot better that my Synergistics did as I had a to tweak the cables to get the proper connection, None of that exists with these and the Nites are easier to mold. They weigh a ton, as do the interconnects, and I like the locking connectors.

Sound wise I immediately noticed tighter more defined bass and more detail (which seems alittle annoying right now) but its way too early to listen critically, I put on a DVD Jurassic Park 3 (with alot of bass and highs) and I am just letting it play for the next several days.

I did notice something very interesting but I am not sure what to make of it. Before I made the change I took an amp and wattage reading from my ExactPower unit and it was running at 774 Watts 6amps at room volume with all equipment on, after the change the unit reads 738 Watts and 6 amps at the same room volume (with all equipment on). Very Interesting, I will keep monitering.

So I will see over the next several days just where this ends up but so far so good. These cables remind me of the braided hoses I used to use on my ski/race Boat. Tough...

Carl, any more on your experience?

Aug 30, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #594 of 698
TO COOK THE CABLES THEY ARE BURNED IN AT HIGHER VOLTAGES SO WHEN YOU FIRST GET THEM THEY SOUND A LITTLE WILD BUT SETTLE DOWN QUICK.

Aug 31, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #595 of 698
Final CD Playback Upgrade?

BC Dac 2

It will be very hard to significantly improve on this, Bel Canto Dac 2, AZ Mc2, AZ Silver Reference, VD Reference Cryo AC without spending crazy money (I've said that before though)
The 3D soundstage I am getting now is amazing, hard to fully describe in words.

Guys, come on lets hear some more feedback on all those Nite cables!

Sep 1, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #597 of 698
Well the system has been up and running now for about 36 hours at room volume and things have started to settle down alittle.

I was listening to the Eagles DVD in DTS and what caught my ear over the Synergistic X series was the clarity of something as simple as cymbals, you could not only tell thats what you were hearing but in watching the DVD I for the first time actually I was looking for them to make sure that is where the sound was from. It almost sounded like I was standing right next to the drummer. Very interesting.

I have also noticed better bass response at lower volume levels and hear much more detail as I mentioned in an earlier post. The sound does seem more natural and dynamic. Still not sure where the treble is going, it still sounds extended but its very early, we will see in a couple of weeks where it goes.

Also I forgot to mention in an earlier post where I described the Nite setup that I also have a Nite Digital cable form the Rotel to the AVP2.

Also my ExactPower regenerator still reads 738 (down from 774) watts at room volume, no change... with peaks to 800, still do not know what to make of it. Does that mean everything is running more effecient with these Nites....

So that is where I am at 36 hours, and we will actually be watching some movies later so I will let you know more. My wife and kids dont think it sounds very different at all but what do they know!

Still interested where Carls system is right now, any updates?

Talk to you all later...

Sep 2, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #598 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted some time ago by pigmode
Calanctus,

If you are purchasing the entire system all at once (as I did recently), my suggestions would be to set aside a very modest portion for cables. This way, you will maximize the quality of your components, and as you become intimately familiar with their sound characteristics, the upgrading of cables will be the final refinement.

I'm rereading this amazing thread, and Pigmode, it turns out you were quite right
redface.gif
As posted, I had to return the VD Power 1s due to softening of the treble. Now waiting for the Reference cords to show up.

Fortunately I seem to have been very lucky with my new speaker cable, relatively inexpensive but just what my system needed: DH Labs Q10 biwire. This silver-plated cable really improved the treble clarity and extension over my DIY 'el cheapo' cable (50' reel of copper cabling with clamp-on banana plugs, $30 or so for the lot).

DarkAngel's comments have convinced me to try a set of the Mapleshade Ultimate Triplepoint cones under my digital source. The tweaks go on!

Sep 2, 2002 at 1:11 PM Post #599 of 698
Cal
Yes the Mapleshade brass cones are great, JA is using them currently. Check this photo out, I am using Surefoot 1.5" cones under Bel Canto Dac 2 and Bigfoot 2" cones under CDP (all gear on cones currently):
Mapleshade Cones

If you are looking for treble extension from AC cord the VD Reference is better vs P1 but still just slightly on the warm side of nuetral in my system, a very good match for most systems looking for a natural musical sound. The Nite for me strikes the perfect tonal balance. Zu Mother & Shunyata Sidewinder AC cords have more treble extension vs VD Reference, costs are about equal, but I think the 3D soundstage of VD Reference is superior.

Audioman
Thanks for the update, keep us posted. Very interesting about slightly lower power consumption.

PM
How is the VD Reference AC working out for you? What other AC cords do you have besides Zu Mother?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back