Tempting new Virtual Dynamics power cord-- $50!
Sep 3, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #601 of 698
Call made to Canada, Again!
I decided to sell all my other AC cords and go 100% VD, this will give me funds to purchase another Nite AC, which I just did. Total count now is:
VD Nite - 2
VD Reference - 4

Orders are strong, my Nite won't ship for 1 week.
cool.gif

Sep 4, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #602 of 698
Dark Angel,

Congratulations!

I'm also glad to see that business is good at VD because they are definitley a deserving group.

Best
Brian

Sep 4, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #603 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

PM
How is the VD Reference AC working out for you? What other AC cords do you have besides Zu Mother?

The Zu Mother was the only other PC that I have tried with my source, and I recently traded it in for a third pair of Varial ICs. I also had two VD Power Threes connected to my amps, which I eventually sold.

I have about 100 hours on the Ref right now and they will be staying in my system. I will be acquiring another VD cord for my soon to be delivered Fi preamp, and am still considering whether or not to get another pair for the power amps.

There is also another set of speakers to be delivered soon so depending on how those work out, the Ref. SOL cords might just be the ticket. I will not be auditioning any other brands of power cords as I am very happy with my Reference SOL, and want to avoid the mix and match game in the interest of coherence.

Sep 4, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #604 of 698
PM
Quite a spending spree you have there, sounds like almost a complete system makeover, the quest for the absolute sound goes on, heh heh.

Sounds like you will become owner of multiple VD AC cords soon,
they can spoil you quickly......ask BK, JA, Mark etc.

Anymore news on Nite cables?
Waiting to hear more info on all those Nite cables various people here received recently..........

Sep 5, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #605 of 698
Quote:

PM
Quite a spending spree you have there, sounds like almost a complete system makeover, the quest for the absolute sound goes on, heh heh.

Sounds like you will become owner of multiple VD AC cords soon,
they can spoil you quickly......ask BK, JA, Mark etc.

Yes, this is a planned attempt to compare my current PP tubed system to an SET setup. A pair of Galante Rapsodies are scheduled to arrive next week.

http://www.galanteaudio.com/rhapsody.htm

Question: Can you provide a more detail description of what the differences are between the Nite and the Ref. SOL?

Sep 5, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #606 of 698
I got my VD Reference AC cords today and connected them (they were pre-cooked).

They are a definite improvement over the Power 1's. The benefits, to my ears, are:
  1. increased soundstage depth (front-back distance). This is the most noticeable change.
  2. enhanced instrument separation.
They may improve the bass a bit; I'm not sure yet but I'll report back again later.

They still soften the treble, but it's very slight, and the other changes in the sound make this a worthwhile tradeoff.

For me the net benefit was less than from upgrading my speaker cables from $20 DIY to $300 DH Labs silver-plated biwire, but still definitely worthwhile!!

Sep 5, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #607 of 698
Quote:

They still soften the treble, but it's very slight, and the other changes in the sound make this a worthwhile tradeoff.

That is just one of the traits that I like. I don't miss too much when listening to my (sonically) best CDs, but it lends a degree of forgiveness to lesser discs, which I find important.

Quote:

For me the net benefit was less than from upgrading my speaker cables from $20 DIY to $300 DH Labs silver-plated biwire, but still definitely worthwhile!!

Same here. The improvements I've derived so far are about on par to what my Acoustic Zen Satori speaker wires have brought. The main benefits from the VD Ref. has been with its extremely black background which in turn has enhanced instrument seperation and detail resolution. The VD Ref. is definitely worth the price I payed for it.

Sep 5, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #608 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
That is just one of the traits that I like. I don't miss too much when listening to my (sonically) best CDs, but it lends a degree of forgiveness to lesser discs, which I find important.

Same here. The improvements I've derived so far are about on par to what my Acoustic Zen Satori speaker wires have brought. The main benefits from the VD Ref. has been with its extremely black background which in turn has enhanced instrument seperation and detail resolution. The VD Ref. is definitely worth the price I payed for it.

Before you say the AZ speaker cables made as much difference, wait till you all gear on VD AC cords you may change your mind, I still feel the VD Reference/Nite cords made more improvement than any cable change I have ever made to date.

As far as difference between Nite vs Reference AC cords this has been discussed by several people previously, some find the improvement larger than others but we all agree there is a noticeable improvement. Tonally to me they sound similar, just incrementally more fine detail revealed and even larger 3D soundstage. Still very musical and natural, does seem to be a bit more treble/bass extension, a reference quality AC cord that I plan on keeping for a very long time.
cool.gif

BTW, Ric at VD doesn't care for silver cables, and tells me as I add more Nites to the system my AZ Silver Reference ICs may become less desireable to me. I don't know about that, I will always have some silver in my cable collection, just to hedge my bets though I did just get AZ Matrix Reference II.

Sep 5, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #609 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode

I'm only a budding audiophile, so I'm not sure of the best way to do this--but wouldn't it be easier to add a preamp with a bypassable tone control to your system, for those lesser CDs, and bypass the tone control with the better ones? This would allow you to use equipment with maximum detail and resolving power for the best stuff, yet still smooth out the inferior recordings when you need to.

I know many people consider tone controls to be 'of the Devil', but is it any better to do this through cables? Just asking--maybe it is....

DarkAngel

I'm curious: What's your opinion of the Analysis Plus Silver Oval ICs which you tried a while back?

Sep 5, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #610 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
I'm curious: What's your opinion of the Analysis Plus Silver Oval ICs which you tried a while back?

I like the AP Silver Ovals very much, but they are a bit expensive.
Picked mine up used (as usual) at 50% retail, but to tell you the truth the new AP Solo Crystals are just as good for 30% less, look for reviews of these soon from several sources. AP cables have a "house" sound that is very natural and relaxed, makes most other cables seem unnaturally hyped by comparison.

Also want to mention that next I will have to sell my old warhorse
cables HT ProSilway II, becuase they were smoked by AZ Silver References. The HT PS II have slightly more treble sparkle and extension, but in all other respects they are left in the shade by the AZ SR, especially in size of 3D soundstage. Of course you would expect them to better by the higher price.

BTW - sold both Zu Mothers in 8 hrs at Audiogon yesterday.
cool.gif

Sep 5, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #611 of 698
Quote:

Also want to mention that next I will have to sell my old warhorse
cables HT ProSilway II, becuase they were smoked by AZ Silver References.

I really like my AZSR cables. They are way expensive but they are awesome in my opinion. The only bad thing is now I want a second set for the tape out on my Receiver. I recently talked to a local dealer who said he doesn't like the AZ cables because they are too bright and lacked bass. I don't know what the heck he was talking about. Don't believe everything you hear you just have to try them out for yourself.

Sep 6, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #612 of 698
Quote:

Before you say the AZ speaker cables made as much difference, wait till you all gear on VD AC cords you may change your mind, I still feel the VD Reference/Nite cords made more improvement than any cable change I have ever made to date.

I am definitely in the market for another cable right after I recover from this mornings phone call--I changed my order for a Fi preamp to a 2A3 SET amp with a built-in passive volume control and input selection.

Quote:

I'm only a budding audiophile, so I'm not sure of the best way to do this--but wouldn't it be easier to add a preamp with a bypassable tone control to your system, for those lesser CDs, and bypass the tone control with the better ones? This would allow you to use equipment with maximum detail and resolving power for the best stuff, yet still smooth out the inferior recordings when you need to.

Calantus, I am moving in the opposite direction right now by simplifying my electronics in an attempt to get at a more elemental sense of music reproduction (I think). I'm not an audio snob or anything like that, as its just a matter of personal taste. Btw, I notice you have some pretty impressive equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #614 of 698
PM, I'm fairly happy with my equipment, but there's no end to the upgrades (for as long as the fever lasts)!
  1. My Mapleshade cones arrived yesterday; I'll put them under the XA777 on Saturday.
  2. I'm looking at selling the Marantz and getting an amp, maybe a Bel Canto EVo, and a preamp (maybe even with tone control!)
  3. If I do that, I'll need another power cord. I lost an auction for Shunyata Viper 2 last night.
    mad.gif
    But maybe another VD...
  4. Finally, I want to upgrade my headphones (appropriately enough, for this forum). The Beyers are great, but I'd like more midrange clarity without losing too much of the bass.

Sep 6, 2002 at 3:17 PM Post #615 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
[*]My Mapleshade cones arrived yesterday; I'll put them under the XA777 on Saturday.[*]I'm looking at selling the Marantz and getting an amp, maybe a Bel Canto EVo, and a preamp (maybe even with tone control!)[*]If I do that, I'll need another power cord. I lost an auction for Shunyata Viper 2 last night.
mad.gif
But maybe another VD...[*]Finally, I want to upgrade my headphones (appropriately enough, for this forum). The Beyers are great, but I'd like more midrange clarity without losing too much of the bass.[/list]

We all must do our patriotic duty to keep the economy going, spend, spend, heh heh
The old Shunyata cords still have pretty good resale vaule especially the Black Mamba & Python models.

Let us know how you like those beautiful shiny Mapleshade brass cones.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back