Tempting new Virtual Dynamics power cord-- $50!
Sep 9, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #631 of 698
qwerty870, how do you like your Signature 805s? If you are considering changing amps, then you must feel there is room for improvement in your system, but I'd still be very interested in your impressions of this very new speaker.

Sep 9, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #632 of 698
I like my B&W 805s very much. I feel that they are an excellent mini-monitors. (I have a small room so I only listened to bookshelfs.) In many aspects I thought the 3A MM Da Capo was better, but they tend to work better with tubes and the B&W 805 seemed to sound better with solid state amps. Since I have a Rotel 1080 I got the B&W. However the B&Ws really deserve a better amp so I have been listening to a number of good solid state amps. So far I preffer the McCormack DNA225. It has less grain, and more clarity than the Rotel RB1080 (which I got for $650 on audiogon.) The DNA225 is also a tad more neutral and soundstages better, so that is probably my next upgrade. I feel guilty about writing about speakers and amps on a site dedicated to headphones, so I will leave it at that for now. However, I am considering upgrading my preamp, so if anyone has any suggestions about preamps under $4000 that might work well in my system I would be glad to hear them.

Sep 10, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #633 of 698
Pigmode,

I can't imagine Rick saying the References were the end of the line technically speaking (as far as transparency) because the Nites are a big jump ahead. ALso, you need to talk with Rickk about the interconnect phenomenon I experiencedd. He has a believeable explanation and one that has proven out by my experience. You also have to remember that the power cables and the interconnects are doing different jobs.

Anyhow, I think I'll stick with my earlier
comment that these things work in harmony with each other,.

I hope that helps.

Best
Brian

Sep 10, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #634 of 698
Brian,
I guess I'm making too a big thing out of it. Thanks for the info though, because It seems the Nite ICs may work best with a complete Nite package. That may explain DA's reaction to the Nite. Did you find the Nite IC to be rolled off at the top before you put in the Nite PC?

Sep 10, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #636 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus

No, it's not just you! A friend came over yesterday and listened--told me the same thing.
eek.gif

I don't want to crap in this great thread too much, but what do you think might be good with the Offrandes? Here's what I'm considering: Belles 350A, PS Audio HCA-2, Bel Canto Design EVo 2 or 200.4 in bridged mode, Gamut D200, Bryston 7BST or 4BSST, McCormack DNA225.

When I get one, I'll definitely need another VD Ref.

Cal

I have the Bel Canto eVo6 bridged into 3 channels - a great amp. I have not noticed any weaknesses. I also have a Spectron another great amp, about 450 per channel, also no weaknesses. I was thinking also about the PS Audio but it was only 150 per channel and not bridgable. They are coming out with a 5 and 7 channel amp I believe.

Sorry I have not had any new input but I have been slowly burning things in. Work, the Wife, and the kids definitely cramp my listening, although I can always get them to listen to a good movie. The ease and naturalness continue to amaze me. CDs that I had given up as harsh are now listenable. Bass is amazing as well as soundstage.

I will try to change out more and do some comparisons soon.

Carl

Sep 10, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #637 of 698
Pigmode,

I don't think I would say that the VD Nite interconnects rolled off any of the top end but what I experienced was a difference in cleanliness to thew verall sound but at the expense of some dynamic energy. It sounded better in every respeect but tho over all sound was tamer. When I put in the next Nite Power up the line everyting was screaming dynamics again.. Once again I should say that Rick has an explanation for this but I can' remember it.

I hope that helps.

I've thought the same thing about Dark Angels experience. Someday DA will definitely go total Nite series and then we will know for sure. It's just a matter of time before that happens.

Best
Brian

Sep 11, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #638 of 698
New amp deal closed and it's on its way. Based on inputs in this thread, when it comes I'll put my least expensive AC cord (the Zu Mother, which should also be here by then) on the amp, keeping the VD Ref cords on the source and "preamp" (Marantz SR9200).

elybry thanks for your comments. I thought about the Bel Canto but could not find a good price on the .4 version...otherwise I might have tried it with bridging.

Sep 11, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #639 of 698
The VD Nite package continues to impress me. I believe that I am now truely seeing improvement over the Synergistic Research X series that I originally tried. I still do not even have the Nite Bi wire speaker cables yet, so more improvements to come I hope.

Also I found a cool piece of equipment for those not having enough optical inputs on their pre. I have 2 Satelitte recievers both optical out and only 1 optical imput on my Proceed AVP 2. But there is a Fostex COP-1 that converts optical to spidf, and passes bitstream so you can have Dolby Digital output. Seems to work well. Pretty cool only $50.

Cant wait fpr the rest of my order as I still think there is a phasing problem since I am not using the Nite bi-wire speaker cables as of yet.

Sep 11, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #640 of 698
I had a chance to compare the nite biwires to my previous cable which was the spectron remote sense cables written up in audio asylum as a very favorable review with the spectron amp. These are designed to incorporate the speaker cables into the amp feedback loop theoretically eliminating the cable influence. I am here to tell you that the nites blew them away; a darker background, more air around instuments and vocals, more separation of instruments and vocalists but also with a more seamless integration, and bigger soundstage. Still have to incorporate another nite pc and ic and the center speaker.

More to come.

Sep 11, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #643 of 698
"Anyone tried the VD digital cable?"

acidtripwow had one but sold it recently because it was "too revealing", and had "too much detail" I believe he said. For me, there's no such thing as "too revealing" or "too much detail", so when I get the chance, I'll probably check out this cable too.

markl

Sep 11, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #644 of 698
Mark
I don't see a Dac listed in your equipment, what would you need a digital cable for?

I beleive Acid has gone back to his AZ Mc2 cable then (which is my choice) these can be had for less than $200 used at Audiogon, you would have to spend a small fortune to get significantly better sound IMO.

Acid
Give us the scoop on your Nite digital impressions.

Sep 12, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #645 of 698
DA,
I could use a digital cable for two purposes:

1. Between my DVD player and my Denon AVR 5800 receiver for movies.

2. For playing out loud through my PSB stratus Goldi's: I'd stick it between my Sony SCD-333ES with modwright transport mods (Modwright "accidentally" gave me the transport mods to my player which includes internal damping and replacement of the digital out section with a souped-up version) and my Denon 5800 which I must admit sounds better on Redbook CDs than the analog outs of my mod-ed 333ES. In Pure Direct stereo mode, the Denon uses 4 of the best DACs available per channel and upsamples to 24 bits. Sadly, there's no way to output this signal to my Melos Maestro for listening to Redbook CDs, so I have to use the mod-ed 333ES's analog outs when listening to Redbook CDs through my R10s (which is still quite nice, thank you very much!).

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back