Tempting new Virtual Dynamics power cord-- $50!
Sep 12, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #646 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
"Anyone tried the VD digital cable?"
acidtripwow had one but sold it recently because it was "too revealing", and had "too much detail" I believe he said. For me, there's no such thing as "too revealing" or "too much detail", so when I get the chance, I'll probably check out this cable too.

markl

Thanks markl. FYI I notice that acidtripwow's 'For sale' ad for this very cable has resurfaced in the Gear for Sale forum.

Sep 12, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #647 of 698
New Nite AC just arrived
They have been slightly changed from Nite I got 1-2 months ago.
Besides new label with "speed of light" graphics, the male plug is different, triangular shaped vs round on old Nite. Hard to keep with all the new changes to product line. Because I bi-amp and have headphone amp & Dac I need 6 AC cords, so this is about all I can afford as far as Nite AC cords go, total now is:
- 2 Nite Ac
- 4 Reference AC

I think I mentioned previously I have sold all my other brands of AC cords, and have gone 100% VD, I really like them!

I might also mention I now am running a complete AZ chain of IC cables: AZ Mc2 Digital -> AZ Silver Reference IC -> AZ Matrix Reference IC. I really like these also!

Sep 13, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #648 of 698
DA, what kind of speaker cable are you running and how are they?

It's been about two and a half weeks now with the Power 3 and Power 1. There is definitely a treble roll off that is more noticeable with the 3 than the 1. This is especially true when hooked to the amp. The part of my system here under consideration is Musical Fidelity A3CD---> 1/2m Cardas Crosslink-->Onkyo TX DS747 Receiver(as a temporary pre)---> 1.5m Harmonic Technology Truthlink---> Anthem MCA 20 amp---> 10' pair single run Harmonic Technology Pro-11 speaker wire---> Paradigm Reference Studio 100v2.

Much of what is wrong can be compensated by turning the Treble from neutral to say +.1 to +1 but I prefer to keep tone at neutral so it is switched out. I won't have tone controls once I get a real pre-amp in any case. Before adding the VD cables I wasn't at all unhappy with the treble response on my system as far as amount and timbre are concerned. The VD cables (the 1 to the CD and the 3 to the amp) have improved soundstaging dramatically. The bass has firmed up and most definitely does extend a bit lower now. Or at least I can better hear what is being played in the very low end now. This is probably because the cables (especially the 3) have a somewhat warming effect.

The problem is that I want my cake and want to eat it too. I want to get back the treble that has been rolled off. I am actually suspicious that the trebe is not in fact as rolled off as I'm thinking but rather that these cables are just a tad warm in the lower frequencies and putting the treble out of balance in relation to everything else. Studio 100's are said by some to be a somewhat bright speaker but I don't find that particulary true and doubly so now. I am not willing to give up my gains made in soundstaging and the firmed up bass.

I want my treble back. Any suggestions? Do I get rid of one or both cables and go with the Reference? Nites are out of my budget as I have to pay for all this with Monopoly money (Canadian $$$).

Thanks to any and all who might respond.

T^2

Sep 13, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #649 of 698
CV,
I can't help thinking that your Onkyo is a major weak link in your system, and it might be the case that the VD PCs are revealing rather than rolled off. If your cdp has a non-digital vol. control, you can experiment with a direct connection to your amp. That should pretty much tell the story, I think.

Sep 13, 2002 at 1:15 PM Post #650 of 698
PM

I am of a similar mind on that one. Is it just that the VD's are revealing just how limited the receiver is? Problem is that I don't have the $3-$4k it would take to solve the pre-amp dilemma at the moment. But I do know where I can get a nice Sonic Frontiers Line 1 demo unit for C$2495 and maybe I could talk them down closer to two. They seem to have had the unit for a while. This is a decent tube pre. I have also been considering a Musical Fidelity A3.2 CR or 308 depending on which is better. Can't find much info on those two just yet. Problem is that the shop that sells them locally is staffed by a bunch of arrogant twits. I have also been considering a BAT VK3i but that would be down the road as it is a fair bit more expesive with a remote. Also on the wish list is a Simaudio Moon P5.

Maybe a nice set of silver IC's between the CD and the Receiver to brighten things up again a little... replace the Cardas Crosslinks.

T^2

Sep 13, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #651 of 698
Mr Cosmic
Don't read any further if you value your wallet, I am suggesting more ways to spend your money. Also all my cables are listed in my profile if you want to see where I am coming from.

If you have read previous posts you know I thought the VD P2 was noticeably warm toned and lacked treble extension, I sold mine. The VD Reference is better in all respects including more balanced presentation tonally, the Nite is even a little better.
So if you can afford it Reference or maybe new Auditions are the way to go on a budget.

Get some large brass cones from Mapleshade (or other make) to use under gear. This will clear things up and allow a more extended natural presentation.

Definitely get new (used) preamp and ditch the receiver. Lots of great stuff for @ 1K used:
-Musical Fidelity A3cr
-Marsh
-Blue Circle (tube)
-Rogue 66 (tube)
Many others, or get a decent integrated amp from Musical Fidelity, Plinius, Creek, Sim etc. and simplify things.

I think you should also try to get a "used" set of silver ICs to try,
for $100-250 you can get Homegrown Silver Lace or HT ProSilway II at Audiogon. If you don't like you can sell again for little cost to you.

Sep 14, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #653 of 698
CosmicVoid, as you may recall I experienced the same thing. Here is what helped me get good treble again:
  1. exchange Power 1's for Reference AC cords
  2. switch from cheap speaker cables to silver 14/12 gauge DH Labs biwire. Probably it's both the gauge and the silver that's helping.

I too am planning to sell my receiver and get a decent preamp (Bryston BP25) and amp (Pass Labs X150). Some comments in the thread here helped me to make that decision. Even though the components aren't here yet, I don't think I'll regret it (although my wallet does)
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #654 of 698
Thanks for the input, most helpful and enlightning. I think I will try a pair of silver IC's between the CDP and the receiver. The speaker cables I already have are an excellant cable - Harmonic Technology Pro-11, a single crystal 11ga wire with excellent sonic characteristics. I wouldn't mind trying an AZ Silver Reference II but the price is way over a $1000 here. In Canada add about 50% in most cases to what you would pay in the USA. That's in Canadian dollars. Also our buying power is about 80% of an American with comparable income. Price is always a major consideration. Canadian made products can be had relatively inexpensively here. I live in a city of around 700,000 and not all audio brands are carried locally. For instance, if I wish to audition Blue Circle I would have to drive 14 hours to the nearest Canadian city that carries it. BC will conduct business by phone but they have a 10% restocking charge if you decide you don't want their product. I did have an opportunity to buy a BP25 not too long ago for a REALY good price - a demo unit - but as good as they are I have heard of too many comments about them being too dry and analytical which is not what I desire. I have been considering a newer Musical Fidelity pre when they finally get straightened out as to what is being produced and start publishig the specs but I haven't heard any reall buzz on the newer products yet - A3.2CR and A308CR. I do have a line on a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 demo unit. It as many know is on the bottle and if it is still withing 5 years of it's build date it will have some remaining warranty. The price they have listed is about 3/4 of regular retail. I was debating offering them 3-400$ less and seeing if they take it. The SF Line 1 was discontinued over a year ago as the SF and Anthem are owned by Paradigm and they no longer will be producing any tube products. There focus now will be on mult-channel products and Sonic Frontiers has be discontinuted altogether (sad). The Line 1 is well regarded by many. I have read a few excellent reviews and the buzz on AudioReview.com is positive. You have the option of cutomizing the sound a little by rolling tubes
wink.gif
. The Line 1 is said to be very neutral from top to bottom and also very extended on both ends. The ability to resolve detail is excellent. The only real major knock against is a slight dryness in the midrange which is normally the forte of tube gear. This of course can be remedied by changing tubes - there are 6 Sovtek 6922's standard in these pre's. There is an added bonus of a Headroom headphone amp built right in to these pre's! I might have to start listening to headphones again. Then again I may wait a year or two and go with a BAT VK3i or some such.

My amp - Anthem MCA 20 - is 225 Wpc, I bought it last Easter and am very happy with it. It is priced similarly to the Rotel RB 1080 but doesn't slough off at low volume like the Rotel was reported to do in a Stereophile review. The MCA 20 amp is said to sound very similar to a Bryston amp but likely with out Bryston's legendary bass control but then again the Bryston costs twice as much.

I find it interesting that Cal and I are complaining of rolled off treble as compared to the rest of us in this forum. Cal and I are both using a receiver as pre-amps. I am happy enough with my receiver when watching movies as I am not listening too critically to the sound. If the sound is good enough to be engaging then the equipment should disappear and the picture would be your focus.

I am generally very happy with the VD PC's. I may yet order a Reference as suggested by some. My major complaint is not with the Power 1 but with the Power 3. It's just not as good a match for my amp as is the Power 1. But, having the P1 on the CDP does wonders to the soundstage. Perhaps I'll have to give Rick another call. Of course if I take the plunge on a pre I won't be buying any PC's or much of anything for a while including music. Can't let that credit beastie get out of control.

Again all, thanks for the suggestions. I may not heed them but I will certainly listen and weigh the options!

Peace,

T^2

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #656 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by CosmicVoid
I find it interesting that Cal and I are complaining of rolled off treble as compared to the rest of us in this forum. Cal and I are both using a receiver as pre-amps. I am happy enough with my receiver when watching movies as I am not listening too critically to the sound. If the sound is good enough to be engaging then the equipment should disappear and the picture would be your focus.

Many movie soundtracks have harsh treble. Receivers may be tuned to roll it off a bit so that movies sound better in the home. In theory, a really good receiver, like mine, should not do that, but maybe it still does and the power cords are just letting it come through...?

My amp is delayed, annoyingly, and my Zu Mother also has yet to show up.

Sep 17, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #657 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by qwerty870
Hmm, no posts in a couple days. It seems this thread is finally starting to die. Did we make the record for the longest one?

Nope.

Sep 18, 2002 at 1:16 AM Post #658 of 698
So I got a Zu Mother today and tried it out in place of a VD Reference, connected to my CD player...my impression was that the sound got smaller somehow. No significant treble benefits. I'll stick with the VD cord and use the Zu Mother on the amplifier when (if) it finally arrives.

Sep 18, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #659 of 698
Damn, this thread has gone from $50 power cords to $1500 power cords...

So, o purchasers of the great and mind-bogglingly expensive, was it worth it? If you had had an opportunity to audition the Nites before the Power 3s, would you have bought them with the same MasterCard-loving eagerness? Or would you have whipped out the Super-Ultraplatinum-Executive Spendomatic Plastic even faster?

And the big question - is there anything you don't like? Are they the be-all-end all, or are you going to keep trying new interconnects, damping components, colors of felt tip marker, cable elevators, etcetera to find yet a better synergy?

Sep 18, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #660 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Damn, this thread has gone from $50 power cords to $1500 power cords...

So, o purchasers of the great and mind-bogglingly expensive, was it worth it? If you had had an opportunity to audition the Nites before the Power 3s, would you have bought them with the same MasterCard-loving eagerness? Or would you have whipped out the Super-Ultraplatinum-Executive Spendomatic Plastic even faster?

And the big question - is there anything you don't like? Are they the be-all-end all, or are you going to keep trying new interconnects, damping components, colors of felt tip marker, cable elevators, etcetera to find yet a better synergy?

When I picked up this month's issue of Stereophile, I was amazed to see just how many tweaks are in the recommended products listing. Power cords, stands, sprays, markers, etc. etc. If Mike Fremer can hear it, maybe I can too...?
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back