Tempotec V1 & V1A
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #92 of 237
Has anyone tried to compare soundwise between coaxial of Tempotec V1 and XDuoo X10Tii ?
So, since the V1 doesn't have a DAC, does that clarify your question? If there's a bit perfect SDS signal coming from the V1, asking about sound quality is moot (or you want to talk format and unobtanium usb cables).

The V1 is merely a music server, and a very fine one. I use it on my (high-end) system, on the road and in my studio.

The 3.5mm output is a coax and toslink out. No analog signal.

On the question if the V1 can play SACD-iso: I just downloaded one on my phone and Hiby plays it fine. I'm going to transfer it to the V1 but that should work. Tagging is 'a bit' difficult (as in; impossible on Android) but, oh well. I've got DSD out so... wow.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #93 of 237
It claims to support DST decoding, but I can't get it to work. It plays DSD, DSF, and DFF files without a problem, but it doesn't play DST ISOs. Does anyone else encounter the same issue?
So i had to make space on my phone first, then downloaded some iso's of SACD's of Dead can dance, and they are playing just fine from the V1. I didnt know i could but it works fantastic. Dsd is on 'native' and pre-out fixed volume.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #94 of 237
So i had to make space on my phone first, then downloaded some iso's of SACD's of Dead can dance, and they are playing just fine from the V1. I didnt know i could but it works fantastic. Dsd is on 'native' and pre-out fixed volume.

Nice to see another DCD fan :)

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #95 of 237

So it's clear the V1 can decode DST, but the V1-A can't. It's like your player can play WAV but not FLAC files. What a shame.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #96 of 237
So it's clear the V1 can decode DST, but the V1-A can't. It's like your player can play WAV but not FLAC files. What a shame.

Wait, what? I was unaware the V1A can’t do DSD. That is a huge bummer. I wonder what the reason behind that is?

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #97 of 237
Wait, what? I was unaware the V1A can’t do DSD. That is a huge bummer. I wonder what the reason behind that is?

Think of DSD as a cover term. DST is a compressed, lossless format of DSD, just like FLAC is a compressed lossless format of WAV. The V1-A can play SACD ISOs, DSDIFF and DSF audio files. It just can't play ISOs encoded in compressed DST format. If you use foobar2000, you can see it decoding SACD ISOs as DSD64, DSD128, DST64 or DST128. The V1-A can't play ISOs encoded in DST64 or DST128. Hope this clarifies my previous post.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #98 of 237
Think of DSD as a cover term. DST is a compressed, lossless format of DSD, just like FLAC is a compressed lossless format of WAV. The V1-A can play SACD ISOs, DSDIFF and DSF audio files. It just can't play ISOs encoded in compressed DST format. If you use foobar2000, you can see it decoding SACD ISOs as DSD64, DSD128, DST64 or DST128. The V1-A can't play ISOs encoded in DST64 or DST128. Hope this clarifies my previous post.

Ah, OK. Yes, that clarifies my confusion. Thanks!

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #99 of 237
So to clarify, the V1 can play DST iso files?

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #100 of 237
Wait, what kind of logic are you using here? Fuzzy logic? Like apple + orange = banana?

Fun aside, my understanding is that iso is just a container. The software on the V1 and the V1-A is the same (the OS has no say in tbe analog domain). So if the OS can look inside an iso, it finds any file it can decode. Like an uncompressed zip file, no double decoding. If you can play dst it can play dst in a container file.

The only question i have is, where to find dst files or iso's because i can't find any. Do you want music wben you are making embroideries? (its more commonly known as autocad files for embroidery patterns it seems). Ok, I'll stop joking. Im just amazed how versatile the little Tempotec is.

I just considered that getting higher than DSD64 out of an iso, meaning it is compessed as dst, it takes to much calculating power to handle for the little processor. It would start stuttering.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #101 of 237
Wait, what kind of logic are you using here? Fuzzy logic? Like apple + orange = banana?

Fun aside, my understanding is that iso is just a container. The software on the V1 and the V1-A is the same (the OS has no say in tbe analog domain). So if the OS can look inside an iso, it finds any file it can decode. Like an uncompressed zip file, no double decoding. If you can play dst it can play dst in a container file.

The only question i have is, where to find dst files or iso's because i can't find any. Do you want music wben you are making embroideries? (its more commonly known as autocad files for embroidery patterns it seems). Ok, I'll stop joking. Im just amazed how versatile the little Tempotec is.

I just considered that getting higher than DSD64 out of an iso, meaning it is compessed as dst, it takes to much calculating power to handle for the little processor. It would start stuttering.

I thought the only difference between the V1 and V1-A was that the V1 doesn't have a DAC. How wrong I was. The specs for the V1 clearly list DST decoding:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32996995824.html

The specs for the V1 A don't have DST decoding:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33032441868.html

I was very confused at first when the player didn't play ISOs encoded in DST until I had a second look at the specs. I don't know what's the rationale behind this, but I'm now a bit dispointed.

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #103 of 237
I thought the only difference between the V1 and V1-A was that the V1 doesn't have a DAC. How wrong I was. The specs for the V1 clearly list DST decoding:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32996995824.html

The specs for the V1 A don't have DST decoding:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33032441868.html

I was very confused at first when the player didn't play ISOs encoded in DST until I had a second look at the specs. I don't know what's the rationale behind this, but I'm now a bit dispointed.
I'm not going do dispute not seeing things with a eaglehawk but... i dont see any mention of any decodable format on the V1- A page. So I'm still assuming reading capabilities are the same. You can try the digital out on the V1-A.

Does it say it can't decode the file or doesn't it show up when browsing? I can't find any dst file so i can't try for you. DST is a pretty rare format, unless you like embroidery. In the worst case scenario you have to rip the iso's.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #104 of 237
I'm not going do dispute not seeing things with a eaglehawk but... i dont see any mention of any decodable format on the V1- A page. So I'm still assuming reading capabilities are the same. You can try the digital out on the V1-A.

Does it say it can't decode the file or doesn't it show up when browsing? I can't find any dst file so i can't try for you. DST is a pretty rare format, unless you like embroidery. In the worst case scenario you have to rip the iso's.

When you try to play ISOs encoded in DST, you get this error: Playback failed Error:2. No issues playing ISOs in uncompressed DSD

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #105 of 237
ok, so its over its head. Probably to processor intensive. It's not a pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back