Tempotec V1 & V1A
Jul 18, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #121 of 237
Sorry mate, no idea. I always thought digital was digital. And I'm sure they use the same clock so jitter must be identical. There might be a difference but my ears aren't golden enough to tell. I only prefer coax for the Mojo because the USB has a silence at the beginning of a selected track.

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #122 of 237
coax and usb are both digital but not the same protocol. Coax is s/p-dif and usb is, well... anything you send over the data line. That is why a dac has different inputs with different chips for s/p-dif (coax or optical) and usb and why you need a driver for usb (often already built in). Coax is much older and has a lower bandwidth limitation.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #123 of 237
In our context, the difference is between the two is synchronous and asynchronous - using the clock of the output device or the input's. Which is why I mentioned the clock and jitter although it should be a non-issue unless there is something not working properly. Coax can handle 24/192 which should be plenty for anybody, even bats!

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #125 of 237
Just in case anyone is interested I have x2 512gb cards in my V1A. One SanDisk Ultra and one Samsung. I've had no problems with library scanning, playback etc.

Yes as I mentioned earlier, on my specific request Tempotec recently vetted 512GB compatibility on V1 / V1A. Yours is a welcome practical confirmation though :wink:

Jul 24, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #126 of 237
Really like this little device, I only wish that tempotec would have made a case for it :) And in case they will make a Pro version, they could keep the size of the player and make the screen bigger :) 👍
Edit: I have also flashed it with the custom firmware and it seems that V1A is responding faster and is snappier 👍

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #128 of 237
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #129 of 237
Really like this little device, I only wish that tempotec would have made a case for it :) And in case they will make a Pro version, they could keep the size of the player and make the screen bigger :) 👍
Edit: I have also flashed it with the custom firmware and it seems that V1A is responding faster and is snappier 👍
I already asked TempoTec and DD Hifi (accessory maker on AliExpress) but from DD I got no response and from TempoTec nothing but the usual standard reply along the lines of 'thank you for your inquiry'.

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #130 of 237
In our context, the difference is between the two is synchronous and asynchronous - using the clock of the output device or the input's. Which is why I mentioned the clock and jitter although it should be a non-issue unless there is something not working properly. Coax can handle 24/192 which should be plenty for anybody, even bats!
that's quite right. I knew that but couldn't recall off the top of my head. Something that I never managed to discern listening. Even though i prefer usb now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back