Tempotec V1 & V1A
Jul 10, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #107 of 237
does anyone know if the V1-A supports SPDIF through its USB-C port? I'm wondering if the Hiby USB-C to Coaxial cable will work to feed SPDIF signal from the V1-A into the Chord Mojo's coax input.. or is USB-to-USB the only option for connecting the V1-A to the Mojo?
Type c to 3.5mm coax cable works on the V1(-A). I use the one from the R3. Alternatively, u can use the fiio 3.5mm coax cable. Trrs to v1 and mono (or trs, depends on cable) to Mojo.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #108 of 237
A question for all of you fellow V1 users.

The battery icon in my V1 showing a very non-linear behaviour.
Under an approximately homogeneous load, the first 3 "ticks" (that is from 5/5 full-charged to 2/5) get progressively lit-down more or less in the same time.
Once reached 2/5 level though, tick #2/5 and tick #1/5 instead turn off way more quickly. Like 4 or 5 times more rapidly.

Has someone noticed the same?

Interesting
I have a Fiio M3 (yes, the basic budget player from 2016)
and after 4 years of regular use the first two ticks run down faster.
Once it gets down to three it takes longer for each 'tick' to deplete than it did the first two.

Overall I still get about 24hrs from it, so I'm very happy.

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #109 of 237
one more observation concerning playing SACD iso files: I Just found out that the V1 does not play 5.1 SACD iso's where Hiby on my phone CAN play them. The file is a Goldfrapp sacd. Fortunately I got both a flac and an iso but the iso sounds better on my phone. The flac sounds attenuated, probably just the 2.0 channels playing, but the iso won't play on the V1.

The good thing is; I converted the 5.1 24/88 flac to stereo 16/88 and it sounds the same (if still attenuated) but the file size is a lot more civil, 480MB for the 16/88 which still sounds like proper HD, as opposed to 1GB for the 24/88 5.1 flac to 2.7GB for the iso. The music is still very enjoyable and quite frankly sounds awesome still. Thats an 80% space reduction on a limited space. Lets face it; 256 or 512 is not infinite. Portability necessitates pragmatism. I can't really blame Tempotec for making sensible decisions.

I also noticed on playing DSD iso's songs sometimes stutter a bit when loading. It is what it is: a miniscule computer with limited power. But like ants are per ratio the strongest creatures, the V1 is quite humuncular. A fantastic music server the size of a matchbox.

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #110 of 237
hi further questions

1. If V1A can do digital output via USB-C to Trrs cable, so V1A is better than buying V1 because it can do both digital and analog?

2. Is there a way to unfold Tidal's MQA ? eg. USB audio player app (w/ MQA license) -> bluetooth -> V1 -> Mojo , can this unfold MQA above 44.1khz?

The V1 is merely a music server, and a very fine one. I use it on my (high-end) system, on the road and in my studio.

The 3.5mm output is a coax and toslink out. No analog signal.

hi Jeep, there is no toslink on V1, is that a typo?

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #113 of 237
Jul 14, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #114 of 237
2. Is there a way to unfold Tidal's MQA ? eg. USB audio player app (w/ MQA license) -> bluetooth -> V1 -> Mojo , can this unfold MQA above 44.1khz?

I didnt try but why shouldnt it work? MQA unfolding seems UAPP's business on the phone in this case, right ? :thinking:

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #115 of 237
hi further questions

1. If V1A can do digital output via USB-C to Trrs cable, so V1A is better than buying V1 because it can do both digital and analog?

hi Jeep, there is no toslink on V1, is that a typo?
sorry, my bad. I thought the V1 had a toslink out. I can remember a lot so sometimes i look things up but normally i don't; too time consuming. I thought i read it somewhere.
But i was correct remembering the Tempotec takes 512gb SD cards :)

on 1: it is more expensive because there's a dac inside. I already have plenty of those (also one cheap one that i bought for the toslink out to be able to hook up my phone to an r2r dac w/o usb :wink: )

on 2: i couldnt find any app to convert MQA on android. .. Nor one to convert wv for that matter. (i decided im not going to go for MQA, and if so i need the software app to do it, MQA hardware licence is just expensive and the stationary R2R dac I want doesnt have it)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #116 of 237
Just to sum up my findings about the audio capabilities of the TempoTec V1-A:

1. It doesn't play SACD ISOs encoded in DST. You get this message: Playback failed Error:2
2. It stutters when playing audio files encoded in DSD256. Playing DSD64 and DSD128 is fine.
3. It stutters when playing audio files encoded in DTS 5.1. It plays DTS 2.0 but in very low volume.
4. It doesn't recognise Wavpack files. They must be converted to other formats like flac or wav.

I'll update when I find out more.

Jul 17, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #117 of 237
why sum up the negatives? You don't blame your 9yo son that he can't park the car backwards on a slope either do you? The things you list are rather processor heavy. Look at the V1; its a tiny portable media player that beats almost anything i ever heard (as in last 50y). Maybe the wv is an upcoming format i regret not being able to play, but neither does any app i have on Android. I remember it was a quest to find a proper music player on android that could play FLAC, now i can play bitperfect DSD! Not so long ago I thought 16GB on a phone was awesome, now you can put 1TB on the V1. Enjoy!

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #118 of 237
why sum up the negatives? You don't blame your 9yo son that he can't park the car backwards on a slope either do you? The things you list are rather processor heavy. Look at the V1; its a tiny portable media player that beats almost anything i ever heard (as in last 50y). Maybe the wv is an upcoming format i regret not being able to play, but neither does any app i have on Android. I remember it was a quest to find a proper music player on android that could play FLAC, now i can play bitperfect DSD! Not so long ago I thought 16GB on a phone was awesome, now you can put 1TB on the V1. Enjoy!

Here's my response to your questions/assertions:

1. why sum up the negatives?

These negatives are not mentioned in any reviews. It's important that people know what this player can't do if they are looking to buy one. It will help them make an informed decision.

2. The things you list are rather processor heavy.

So it's important that people realize the limitations of the player. You're proving my point.

3. Maybe the wv is an upcoming format i regret not being able to play, but neither does any app i have on Android.

I hate to say this, but it shows your ignorance. Wavpack has been in the recording industry for yonks. It's certainly not an upcoming format. The fact that you don't have an app on your phone to play this format does not mean no apps can play this format. Ever heard of poweramp, arguably the best and most popular Android music player? It plays wavpack.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #119 of 237
ok, so i must reply again. I know of wv since i don't even remember when; it's that long ago (20y?). But i never saw anything special in it over flac. I did use a lot of ape that was everywhere easy to find but is not as versatile as the flac container. Then there was wv, a small niche format. Something i encountered once in a thousand files. Foobar can play and convert anything so that is what i did back when i had a desktop pc; convert to flac. What if it goes out of grace and i can't play it anymore. Because one thing i know: hedge your bets and dont bet on the dark horse however promising. Like minidisc, dcc cassette, DAT, v2000, betamax, laserdisc etc. All superior but who can play them now? (i bet on vinyl back as far as 1988 and who's laughing now? Just to show i am in no way allknowing, i also still have an MD player :-/ ).

i think it is good to have standards that work well and are compatible. Mp3 is a standard that does not work well but survived because its popularity. Now FLAC is a standard that does work well, its free and expandible. Even Apple stole it and made a closed source alternative. That tells me that Flac is a standard that will be around for a long time so its a safe bet to store your music in.

DSD is a different story, it almost went the way of the dodo like its dad the SACD, if it weren't for the soundquality that is loved by audiophiles. Only now i have a 9038 dac that can natively decode DSD i noticed that native DSD sounds better than PCM. But DSD is scarce. You can pick music in DSD but you can't select DSD in new albums.

Now here's why i said what i said: when searching for my music (things i have on vinyl) under DSD /DSF/SACD i noticed a lot of conversions to wv. I was surprised, and annoyed, by that. Do people still use wv, is it a Russian thing, why convert dsd to pcm and then choose some niche format io of flac? (FYI, converting 1:1 any lossless pcm format to other pcm format doesn't lose anything but you wont compress much extra either. Converting DSD to PCM, while still HD, is not 1:1.) Maybe it's some ripper program's default setting that im not aware of, but that is why i said it 'might be an upcoming format'. I know DAT has been an industry standard for decades, but what consumer can play them? We are talking about a consumer device here, where wv is still not much of a decision criterium. I was only carefully noting a trend.

So, in general, we agree. I am just generally more focussing on the positive... geez, a €60 media player that is now the centre of my high end setup that matches/betters any set i heard up to 99k (mine isn't cheap but not that expensive).

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #120 of 237
negative or positive we all can pull useful information anyway. Thank you for both of you. Let's move on and keeps on sharing !

Type c to 3.5mm coax cable works on the V1(-A). I use the one from the R3. Alternatively, u can use the fiio 3.5mm coax cable. Trrs to v1 and mono (or trs, depends on cable) to Mojo.

do both ways give same exact sound to Mojo ? how nice if it can feed 2 dacs at same time. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back