Tempotec V1 & V1A
Jun 18, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #76 of 237
@Hooga wow. What a coincidence! I'd appreciate u letting us know when you get a reply, thanks

I did get a reply. A marvelously naive "I never tried that" (verbatim!). Gotta love these chinese amateurs ... if I ever only dreamt of giving such an answer to any of my customers I would probably get fired. Actually, I would probably have to fire myself :wink:

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #77 of 237
now I understand the volume question. For me that isn't really a question but self-evident, I did PA system for years; there are several steps in amplification from microphone to speakers and each step needs to be adjusted within an optimal range. If you cranck up the first too far you will get over modulation in the next step, too low and you lose Snr (audible noise al moderate lvl).

If different usb dac's use the same opamp for the output that means in no way that they get the same amount of volume before or after the opamp. That depends on the input V, amplitide and amount of feedback (amplification factor) and in and output impedance. Do you let the dac-chip do all the work, the opamp, both or take it easy on both? That's all a matter of craftsmanship, standards, vision and practicality. Standards like 47kOhm output impedance and 8 Ohm speakers are commonplace but inside an apparatus is hard to dictate. And there are also plenty non-standard proprietary systems that some manufacturers (like Apple) are so fond of to get to the bottom of your pocketbook...

So, it's just what it is. In headphones and iem's things are way less standardized as in speakers.

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #78 of 237
now I understand the volume question. For me that isn't really a question but self-evident, I did PA system for years; there are several steps in amplification from microphone to speakers and each step needs to be adjusted within an optimal range. If you cranck up the first too far you will get over modulation in the next step, too low and you lose Snr (audible noise al moderate lvl).

If different usb dac's use the same opamp for the output that means in no way that they get the same amount of volume before or after the opamp. That depends on the input V, amplitide and amount of feedback (amplification factor) and in and output impedance. Do you let the dac-chip do all the work, the opamp, both or take it easy on both? That's all a matter of craftsmanship, standards, vision and practicality. Standards like 47kOhm output impedance and 8 Ohm speakers are commonplace but inside an apparatus is hard to dictate. And there are also plenty non-standard proprietary systems that some manufacturers (like Apple) are so fond of to get to the bottom of your pocketbook...

So, it's just what it is. In headphones and iem's things are way less standardized as in speakers.

Clear. Thank you. And what is the downside of "overmodulation"?

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #79 of 237
overmodulation is that the signals amplitude is too high, so that the extremes of the signal are truncated, usually in an uncivilized manner. As an example a true sinus will get flat tops with rough edges, meaning high levels of non harmonic distortion that sounds bad and can blow up your tweeters.

if the signal is too low (attenuated too much) you need to cranck it up again. But that means the (op) amp needs to work harder and it amplifies not only signal but also noise. So you lose dynamic range and SNR, plus because the amp has to work harder it loses accuracy (in my experience). What I've often seen is several stages of amplification, like 3 in a row, with resistors and caps in between (because it says so in the opamps white papers), so what you get is 5 up, 3 down, variable up, 3 down (via variable feedback, isn't that clever user friendly?) 8 up, 3 down. It sounds OK and has impressive specs and parts list, but it is far from what could have been achieved with only 1 or 2 stages in optimal range and little feedback.

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #81 of 237
Ok... so it's bad JuJu. I already have a Meizu which has plenty power for me.

It possibly is. My personal problem is that Meizu does not have enough power for E5000

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #83 of 237
Did anyone devine if / what "Low Power Mode" does on the V1. I seem to find no difference anywhere wether it's on or off...

Jun 27, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #84 of 237
It claims to support DST decoding, but I can't get it to work. It plays DSD, DSF, and DFF files without a problem, but it doesn't play DST ISOs. Does anyone else encounter the same issue?

I was about to download an iso, only my phone seems to be always almost full... only 128GB :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So other albums go first.

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #86 of 237
Jun 29, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #87 of 237
nice review hooga. Just one thing to add about the V1 as a seperate instead of a DAP. It's versatility for portable or static. I use it either way, it gives a perfect signal to any dac, and that's all it does. As a source it's near perfect whatever quality tier. That means it equals or betters any pre-millennial source, CD-players (ugh) or vinyl (and I'm a vinyl diehard fan!). It comes really close to my vinyl setup but is so much more convenient, not to say 100x less expensive. And... completely silent (as opposed to a pc based server).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back