TempoTec Owners Thread
Apr 29, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #61 of 173
Yes, mine was glued, I had to tear apart the outer sleeve, a shame...

Well that sucks. I already have a few decent dongles so I think I will just return it so I don't get stuck with it by destroying the sleeve. :worried:

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #63 of 173
A new desktop music player was released by Tempotec yesterday - Serenade X
https://www.tempotec.net/products/tempotec-serenade-x
1656640559966.png

I've ordered one (taking advantage of the introductory $70 discount) and an iFi Zen Can amp to be my new office setup.

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #64 of 173
Just Tempotec sonata hd III and having issues with it connecting to an android phone. It's working perfectly as a general audio out, but Hiby in USB exclusive mode won't play the music. Tidal just freezes as soon as I give the permission to capture the USB. Anyone experienced this issue and has any suggestions?

Jul 13, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #65 of 173
IMG20220713180343.jpg

IMG20220713180337.jpg

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #66 of 173
Initial play with the X.
Came to Australia with a US plug, funnily enough it doesn't fit in the wall.
Had problems getting the USB flash drive to be recognized, but is working now.
Need some time before commenting on sound and am waiting for a 4.4mm cable to connect to my iFi Zen can.
IMG20220713230137.jpg

Jul 16, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #68 of 173
@cqtek you asked me to comment on the Serenade X in the discovery thread. I didn't ignore you, but don't really know what to reply. Rather than taking that thread off topic I thought Id reply here.

I've always been a portable guy, so this is my first foray into desk top gear. My philosophy being that my gear should fit in with my listen requirements rather than me having to change my behaviour to use my equipment.

Recently my best couple of daps died and I've changed jobs so will be office based. Ideally I'd have spent a few $K on a new dap, but financially that isn't an option at the moment. So, I was looking at cheaper solutions for use in the office. I tried a few cheaper daps at my local store, but they didn't really satisfy me, so I ruled that out.

This lead me to looking into compact desk top solutions, but they all require a source and I don't want to use my phone or laptop for that. Then along came the Serenade X and your comment on the Zen Can; exactly what I was looking for.

I've rambled on and not really told you anything yet, so I'll say it now. I really like this combo. It massively outperforms some more expensive daps that I have tried, but I have no experience in desktop setups to offer a comparison to those. I've only been using for a few days, so my opinions are still forming and I'm still waiting for a 4.4mm balanced connector to arrive to unleash it's full potential.

Sound wise it has really good soundstage width and depth (I've never been able to get my head around height), seperation is good. I'd need to do a lot of ABing on detail retrieval to comment on that, which realistically isn't going to happen in the office, but it strikes me as being respectable levels. There is good treble energy, but whether that is down to detail or the brighter/reference tuning I couldn't say. I generally have chosen the warmer side of neutral in the past, so the Zen Can helps to keep the Serenade X in check.

The Serenade has mseb, which I haven't tried yet for any serious listening, so has the potential to alter the tonal balance if not quite to taste. It also has a normal multi band EQ, which again I haven't tried.

The hiby software is not comparable to the usability of android, but is functional and I've not come across any issues. Connecting to wifi and streaming user accounts is a bit clunky, but only needs to be done once, so not a big issue. There can be a bit of lag when using the inbuilt screen, but not a big issue or particularly frustrating.

I haven't used streaming services, as I like to listen to music I'm familiar with and own at work to avoid distractions rather than create them. I suspect that this side of the software may be an issue for some in usability.

I'm using a 512gb flash drive. Scanning the drive to build the database takes a long time. The first drive a tried was a tiny SanDisk, but I don't think it was quite long enough, so the connection was an issue.

I've used the hiby link app before and it works well here for selecting and playing the music stored on the USB drive.
All the files on my USB are flac. I've noticed some stuttering at the start of 24bit files where the X seems like it can't buffer quick enough, this could be due to me having gapless playback enabled.

For reference I have been using the set up with close back modded HD6xx, B&W P5, Shuoer S12, Tipsy Ttromso and KZ DQ6s so far. All have paired well compared to my experience with them previous devices.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #70 of 173
@cqtek you asked me to comment on the Serenade X in the discovery thread. I didn't ignore you, but don't really know what to reply. Rather than taking that thread off topic I thought Id reply here.

I've always been a portable guy, so this is my first foray into desk top gear. My philosophy being that my gear should fit in with my listen requirements rather than me having to change my behaviour to use my equipment.

Recently my best couple of daps died and I've changed jobs so will be office based. Ideally I'd have spent a few $K on a new dap, but financially that isn't an option at the moment. So, I was looking at cheaper solutions for use in the office. I tried a few cheaper daps at my local store, but they didn't really satisfy me, so I ruled that out.

This lead me to looking into compact desk top solutions, but they all require a source and I don't want to use my phone or laptop for that. Then along came the Serenade X and your comment on the Zen Can; exactly what I was looking for.

I've rambled on and not really told you anything yet, so I'll say it now. I really like this combo. It massively outperforms some more expensive daps that I have tried, but I have no experience in desktop setups to offer a comparison to those. I've only been using for a few days, so my opinions are still forming and I'm still waiting for a 4.4mm balanced connector to arrive to unleash it's full potential.

Sound wise it has really good soundstage width and depth (I've never been able to get my head around height), seperation is good. I'd need to do a lot of ABing on detail retrieval to comment on that, which realistically isn't going to happen in the office, but it strikes me as being respectable levels. There is good treble energy, but whether that is down to detail or the brighter/reference tuning I couldn't say. I generally have chosen the warmer side of neutral in the past, so the Zen Can helps to keep the Serenade X in check.

The Serenade has mseb, which I haven't tried yet for any serious listening, so has the potential to alter the tonal balance if not quite to taste. It also has a normal multi band EQ, which again I haven't tried.

The hiby software is not comparable to the usability of android, but is functional and I've not come across any issues. Connecting to wifi and streaming user accounts is a bit clunky, but only needs to be done once, so not a big issue. There can be a bit of lag when using the inbuilt screen, but not a big issue or particularly frustrating.

I haven't used streaming services, as I like to listen to music I'm familiar with and own at work to avoid distractions rather than create them. I suspect that this side of the software may be an issue for some in usability.

I'm using a 512gb flash drive. Scanning the drive to build the database takes a long time. The first drive a tried was a tiny SanDisk, but I don't think it was quite long enough, so the connection was an issue.

I've used the hiby link app before and it works well here for selecting and playing the music stored on the USB drive.
All the files on my USB are flac. I've noticed some stuttering at the start of 24bit files where the X seems like it can't buffer quick enough, this could be due to me having gapless playback enabled.

For reference I have been using the set up with close back modded HD6xx, B&W P5, Shuoer S12, Tipsy Ttromso and KZ DQ6s so far. All have paired well compared to my experience with them previous devices.
Thank you for the detailed reply.
I don't know if I'll be able to get the Serenade X, but I've been looking for a 4.4mm balanced line input for a while and now there's this product that goes beyond what I was looking for. Putting Sabre and iFi together could be a great what, because it could compensate for each other. On the other hand, I only contemplate using the X as a DAC connected to the PC.
If you tell me it improves on your old DAP that's a good sign. I don't know why, but I've tried DAPS that are superior to any setup I've used connected to my PC. I would like to reverse that situation.

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #71 of 173
Aug 29, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #72 of 173
Kickstarter is due on 5 September for V6 according to Tempotec twitter post

Sep 2, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #73 of 173
Hello to all of you.

Here is my humble opinion about this great DAP that is going to be released imminently on KickStarter for 300$.
It is the TempoTec Variations V6.

I hope you like it!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-v6.26011/reviews#review-29109

Tempotec V6 22_r.jpg
I have had the E44 for some time, which has been really great, and a recent owner of the Cayin RU6 - love the analog tonality. Both the DACs have no issues in terms of SQ and serve different mood sets, except that I feel they are not at their best driving the S12. Saying this because I have a desktop AMP/DAC Fiio E10K (200mW @ 32 Ohms), which drove the S12 technicalities much better. So I was planning to buy good powered AMP for my S12 and to future proof like Topping NX7 to pair with RU6 and E44.

I'm not particularly interested in a DAP, however, your review has convinced me otherwise and that great balanced power output. My questions are - Is the DAC quality of V6 better than E44/RU6, as I don't want to make a redundant purchase? Adding an AMP to my dongle DACs is the better way to go? Thanks

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #74 of 173
I have had the E44 for some time, which has been really great, and a recent owner of the Cayin RU6 - love the analog tonality. Both the DACs have no issues in terms of SQ and serve different mood sets, except that I feel they are not at their best driving the S12. Saying this because I have a desktop AMP/DAC Fiio E10K (200mW @ 32 Ohms), which drove the S12 technicalities much better. So I was planning to buy good powered AMP for my S12 and to future proof like Topping NX7 to pair with RU6 and E44.

I'm not particularly interested in a DAP, however, your review has convinced me otherwise and that great balanced power output. My questions are - Is the DAC quality of V6 better than E44/RU6, as I don't want to make a redundant purchase? Adding an AMP to my dongle DACs is the better way to go? Thanks
The best way forward will be the one you choose. You just have to be convinced of it.
On the other hand, the V6 is a great product - better than the E44? I think so. But whatever you choose, you shouldn't regret it, I'm not infallible and neither are you.
Be happy.

Sep 2, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #75 of 173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back