TempoTec Owners Thread
Aug 29, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #16 of 173
Is this really the case? Well, I'm glad you think so.
The S9 Pro is a great product, but when I first tried the E44 I thought it had a superior sound, which fits very much what I like, a lot of clarity, expansiveness and a great technical and analytical level, without losing musicality. It is also true that there are headphones that enhance these differences and that, with others, the differences are not so great.

It is true that there are some things that didn't work for me, for example I wasn't able to measure the frequency response with the 4.4mm to 3.5mm converter (the line input to measure is 3.5mm). I think it's a problem with the ASIO4ALL and the REW software I use for it.
I also didn't like that I sometimes hear some clicks when it's connected to my PC, but that might be due to my system, I don't think it's extendable, I use a lot of USB ports and I have PCI-E to USB 3.0 cards to accommodate so many dongles.
The last thing I didn't like was that the power is not very high (at least, not as high as they specify) and that at 15 Ohms, the waves were not completely clean. But I keep thinking that it might be a bad relationship with my PC, because after that, the sound is excellent.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #17 of 173
@cqtek I had issues with the E44 in my PC skipping the sound, but after uninstalling the ASIO drivers I had there (Thesycon and TempoTec) and reinstalling TempoTec's, the skipping went away.

I see you preferred the E44 and found the highs more refined and the S9 Pro. I did not find this, but then the single dynamic driver Aria I am using is not as resolving as the EST tweeter from your Variations. This probably explains it.

But other than that is it nice too see I am not imagining things with we both agree that sub-bass hits harder on the S9 Pro and the soundstage is wider on the E44. We also disagree on depth but this is minor imo.

Aug 29, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #18 of 173
First, I don't have IEMS with EST drivers, I was referring to the Tempotec Variations V1-A, which is a DAP.
As for the different appreciation of the sound, I don't know if I've mentioned that it may depend on the headphones used, you always have to take into account the synergy in that sense. There are as many opinions as there are ears. The treble issue is very particular and depends on each individual sensitivity, but when I have used it in songs with many instruments, in those moments of crescendo I have found a better behaviour in the E44, resolving those complex passages in a more mature and musical way.
But, I insist, my opinion is not absolute, nor for sure the most accurate one. Let's see if people are encouraged to buy it and give their opinion about it.

Best regards.

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #19 of 173
Nice to find some love for Tempotec dongles here! :beerchug:
Love mine. Great products.

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #21 of 173
"All things considered. TempoTec E44 being the most powerful, reference grade fidelity, exceptional synergy factor, amazing tonal balance, great compatibility, very usable features, compact solid build, excellent duality for sensitive and less sensitive pairing – I genuinely believe E44 deserve the crown of #donglemadness."

https://andyaudiovault.com/donglemadness/tempotec-sonata-e44/

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #22 of 173
Should we have a new week with an easy start this time around...?

I made a full review about an entry-level portable DAC/AMP, the E35 from Tempotec! This one has a nice ergonomic design, good power deliver, and a glass design, being one of the better looking ones out there!

Comparisons with other DAC/AMPs, as well as a detailed description of the sonics included in my full written review ~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/09/tempotec-e35-sonata-dac-amp-glass-design-amplified.html

Tempotec-Sonata-E35-DAC-AMP-Portable-Type-C-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-18.jpg

Sep 13, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #23 of 173
My E44 is supposed to be delivered today after sending back the S9P. Glad to see so many positive comments about it so far.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #24 of 173
Got my E44 yesterday. Did you guys look under the foam? Found extra clear front and back protectors plus some wet and dry wipes. One set of front / back protectors came installed.

I do have an issue / concern which others here can confirm. When I connect it to my Samsung Tab S6 (it doesn't have 3.5mm jack) I believe analog audio is being output to E44. Now hear me out and think about this logically.

The Tab S6 volume up / down increases and lowers the volume going to the E44. The E44 volume rocker increases and lowers the volume again, like double amping.

So if I max out the volume on the Tab S6, I can also make it even louder with the E44 volume control. That's where my concern is. If the Tab S6 was passing digital to E44 then the volume control of S6 should either not be working or should control the volume of E44 directly or at least in tandem. With the Tab S6, the digital audio is being converted to analog before amplification, otherwise how could the volume be increased / decreased independent of the E44. The analog audio is passing through USB C to the E44. Since the E44 is getting analog audio, its internal DAC is doing nothing. Only the E44 amplifier is in play which amplifies the sound a second time. Yes the C43131 is capable of straight analog amplification.
From CIRRUS LOGIC: CS43131 Specs page

The CS43131 combines a next generation, low power audio DAC with a high-fidelity headphone amplifier to provide a superior system-level audio performance without draining battery life. This IC minimizes board space requirements while enabling performance and features to drive design differentiation. The CS43131 can support excellent audio quality with a wide range of headphones. This IC can drive 2 VRMS of output into 600 Ω high impedance headphones with an interchannel isolation of >110 dB, and 30 mW into 32 Ω low impedance headphones. To minimize pre-echos and ringing artifacts, the CS43131 is designed with proprietary digital-interpolation filters that support five selectable digital filter responses. Filtering options include low group delay with pseudo-linear phase and a fast or slow roll-off. Volume matching of the analog output levels and channel mixing enable a seamless transition between the DSD and PCM playback paths. The onboard low noise, ground-centered headphone amplifier provides proprietary AC impedance detection to support headphone fingerprinting to provide a consistent and transparent audio experience for the end user regardless of transducer impedances or frequency responses. The amplifier also supports adaptive post processing for customer bundled and third party headphones/headsets. An integrated auxillary audio input and "click-less" switch is provided for non-high-fidelity use cases.

On the Tab S6 I went into Developer options and enabled USB debugging. I could not find any setting for OTG. I believe OTG is the problem here.

On the Linsoul website the instructions for Sonata HD Pro which also uses the C43131 DAC states for Android to "turn the 'OTG function' and 'USB debugging mode' on". I could not find any instructions for the E44, but I would assume you would need to do the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, the E44 amplification does sound good, but it would be nice to send it digital and let the C43131 do it's intended job.

Maybe someone can give me a clue about OTG setting or double check my logic. You normally don't amplify a digital signal, 1's and 0's should remain 1's and 0's, only analog audio can be amplified.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #25 of 173
2 digital volumes in series, phone and DAC.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #26 of 173
Sep 14, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #27 of 173
Ok, I understand. I guess that means for bit perfect digital output from a phone or tablet to dac with its own volume control you need to set the digital volume on the phone or tablet to max first. Then adjust the volume control of the dac to a comfortable listening level.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 173
This.

My iPhone 12 does the same thing.

Just to be clear, does your iPhone work with the E44? For some reason, I can't find any E44 description that specifies that it works for iOS/iPhone's, only androids/PC/etc, so I'm hesitating to return my S9 Pro and get this instead.

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #29 of 173
Just to be clear, does your iPhone work with the E44? For some reason, I can't find any E44 description that specifies that it works for iOS/iPhone's, only androids/PC/etc, so I'm hesitating to return my S9 Pro and get this instead.
yes it does. i use the ddHiFi TC28I adapter, then connect the E44 to that usbc port. never have had a problem with it.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #30 of 173
Just received my E44. Initial impressions are very positive. Powerful dongle. Drives my IEMS and buds with real authority (similar to the E1DA 9038D). Works on everything I've tried it with - Linux Notebook, Android devices. Different adapters to convert from 4.4 balanced to 2.5 balanced and 3.5 SE all work without issue. Good work Tempotec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back