Teclast T51
Dec 13, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #256 of 1,468
I think we should not confuse what the two DACs are theoretically capable of with what the DAP (as a whole) is capable of in practice.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #257 of 1,468
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we should not confuse what the two DACs are theoretically capable of with what the DAP (as a whole) is capable of in practice.

I wholeheartedly agree. At the end of the day, it is the "sum of the parts" that make the product. However, one does have to agree that the "parts" are really outstanding performers by themselves.... (even if they are theoretically based....)

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #259 of 1,468
saying huge and actually being huge are two different things. i would not trust anyone to say that the machine is getting anything over 90dbl without a machine test. and of course, a chip's capabilities when driving any headphone are usually worth about nothing when compared to their unloaded, 'all things shiny and best' manufacturers' spec sheet.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #260 of 1,468
the most impressive thing for me when i tested this player are the line-out and Seperation L/R effect. the line out of T51 give more improvement than my ipod touch line-out when i compared them

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #264 of 1,468
anyone can do it. the science is as simple as eating breakfast cereal. first: download RMAA (free, but you will need Windows). Second: buy or make a parallel headphone adapter (y-connector). third: plug both headphones and cable to input of audio interface. Fourth: play RMAA test wave and record it.

That is it. I use Flickr and the rest is history! I will not buy a player to review it or test it, I just haven't enough interest. If anyone wanted to loan one... hmmmm....

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #266 of 1,468
you could also make a 24bit 96 khz file on your computer easily, even if it sounds badly just to see if to plays. audacity is free - just copy one of your mp3's and save as, converting up to 24 bit and save as sample size 96 khz. it won't work to check sq this way of course, but it will show if the player can play it. placebo comes later... it is almost impossible to compare 16 bit and 24 files as they are rarely uploaded, recorded, and compressed on the same hardware, under the same conditions and using equal methods. one may sound better than another and visa versa - simply because there isn't real reason to do one of them properly - especially if your job is to up sell one or the other.

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #268 of 1,468
My S:flo2 is in US customs and will most likely arrive Tuesday. I'll post unboxing and initial impressions then.

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #269 of 1,468
I got one a few days back and all I can say (to my little knowledge) is that it sounds better than the Cowon D2 and my laptop (duh~). Thats a subjective opinion based on testing it with the very few headphones I have though... Like the Cowon D2 I prefer the player un-eq'd, as in all enhancing effects off and eq set to normal.

Even though the SQ is great it got some flaws. Mainly FW related, but also two hardware related: When playing movies and the screens back light is on, at low volume you can hear a tic-tic-tic like sound (like the one the unshielded radios gives off when you have your cellphone nearby, only a lot lower) and because of the Rockchip some album art will never (ever) display right.

Other than that its a great player, I'm going to be keeping this over my Cowon D2.

Edit: A little update here, after playing with the equalizer on the T51 I noticed that the setting only goes from 60hz to 6khz compared to the D2's 80hz - 11.7khz, both with 5 band.
Is the T51 at disadvantage for not going so high?

But, after (finally) having something to compare the D2 against, I finally noticed how much of a deal the bass roll of is, it packs a lot more punch on the T51 with no muffled feeling.
This might be fixed by tweaking the settings on the D2 but still.. Glad I got the T51.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #270 of 1,468
I just checked with hongkongpost and my S:flo2 has just been shipped out of Hong Kong today. I'll probably be getting it in my hands by next week at the latest.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back