Teclast T51
Oct 5, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #106 of 1,468
Android and Google OS sound like a cool idea for media players. They might actually support gapless and a good amount of codecs. Will the t58 have the features of the t51? I hope so.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #107 of 1,468
Quote:

Will the t58 have the features of the t51? I hope so.

T58 is a MID based on Rockchip 2808; T51 is a DAP with a Rockchip 2806. Based on the RAmos W7, which is the same internally and further along in development, I haven't seen any photos or other evidence to indicate there is a separate audio codec included; if there is it would probably be a WM8988. The focus on these MIDs is going to be on Android, WiFi, GPS, and such...media playback, not so much.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #109 of 1,468
Could be shrilling, but I think that's partly because that's how they do marketing on Chinese websites (as I'm sure you're aware of) -- everyone releases a long stream of stratospherically positive documents, shots with pretty? girls, dropped way before the products ship. Very often I look at them and I can't actually tell if something's actually coming out, and you dont get real life photos until way later. A vendor like mp4nation can simply go with the flow and use these sensationalistic promo material.

The Chinese DAP/PMP products have their own quirks, but due to ever-receding profit margins in the genre, they have become such a dominant force in the market worldwide, I think there's certainly nothing wrong with looking at them, just keep logic and reason on your side, or be skeptical - that's a must. All the hype (imo) about which chip they use and don't use is a prime example for this - didnt a lot of people complain about wolfson on the ipods?

My personal interest in the Chinese products is that I'm sick of being told what to do by the Japanese (Sony in particular) and (to a lesser extent) Apple. And I guess it's fascinating being on a frontier of sorts. And leaving one sort of corporate juggernaut for another.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #110 of 1,468
Why would a Singapore guy shill for a company that doesn't operate outside of China? Plus, the stuff in the first post was copied and pasted from an 18 days earlier news from SlashGear where they sourced from MP4 Nation, I believe.

If you are a Chinese forums goer, you will know T51 has been bashed so hard lately (on accusation on shilling because it is getting so popular) that the Teclast PR guy actually has to come forth and plea members there not to post overly-positive review. I am not really sure whether it is the company or the market becoming more twisted these days.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #111 of 1,468
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a Chinese forums goer, you will know T51 has been bashed so hard lately (on accusation on shilling because it is getting so popular) that the Teclast PR guy actually has to come forth and plea members there not to post overly-positive review. I am not really sure whether it is the company or the market becoming more twisted these days.

So, at different perspective, the T51 is really good compared to typical China made DAPs ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #112 of 1,468
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T58 is a MID based on Rockchip 2808; T51 is a DAP with a Rockchip 2806. Based on the RAmos W7, which is the same internally and further along in development, I haven't seen any photos or other evidence to indicate there is a separate audio codec included; if there is it would probably be a WM8988. The focus on these MIDs is going to be on Android, WiFi, GPS, and such...media playback, not so much.

That would make me sad. They can't do that. Make me sad. They can't.
frown.gif

[Edit:] They call the T58 a PMP (Portable Media Player), not a MID, so it seems that video and sound are still the priority.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #114 of 1,468
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, at different perspective, the T51 is really good compared to typical China made DAPs ?
smily_headphones1.gif

There are too much hype + anti-hype currently going through all the Chinese forum that it is like a forum wide flame war. I can't say in certain which review is more trustful even if it is from a senior members. However, as far as I can tell at the moment, firmware seems to be the most obvious weak point, but that's pretty common among Chinese DAP.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #115 of 1,468
Quote:

[Edit:] They call the T58 a PMP (Portable Media Player), not a MID, so it seems that video and sound are still the priority.

If so, then this is going to be the first Android, WiFi-enabled PMP in China. I would think Teclast would follow RAmos and do a MID since they're likely to be be same player internally, but OK, wait and see. That said, the Rockchip 2808 will certainly be capable of good video playback and support a wide range of formats.

Quote:

The SmartQ 5 is known to be pretty bad for video... so yes, they can do that I guess :p~

The new SmartQ V will hopefully rectify that; it's using the new Telechips platform, so the only roadblock will be how Linux/WinCE/Android is implemented on the device. SmartQ -along with Meizu- were the exceptions among Chinese manufacturers in that they really worked hard on getting the firmware right...not to mention being positively glacial in releasing players compared to the rest of the competition. Both companies have moved on (SmartQ is all about the MIDs and Meizu is all about the phones now), so they're struggling as the requirements have grown more complex.

Quote:

So, at different perspective, the T51 is really good compared to typical China made DAPs?

Yes and no. Yes, it's better because of the hardware. No, because it's going to suffer from firmware bugs and assorted issues that have always plagued these players. They'll work on it and fix things...to a point. They just never get it close enough to 100% that users won't feel some combination of regret/disappointment/anger/frustration in the end.

Quote:

Could be shrilling, but I think that's partly because that's how they do marketing on Chinese websites (as I'm sure you're aware of) -- everyone releases a long stream of stratospherically positive documents, shots with pretty? girls, dropped way before the products ship. Very often I look at them and I can't actually tell if something's actually coming out, and you dont get real life photos until way later.

Chinese manufacturers are long past hyping vaporware; you do, on the other hand, have to view their marketing claims critically...as in "how exactly do you define 'HD' playback?".

Quote:

All the hype (imo) about which chip they use and don't use is a prime example for this - didnt a lot of people complain about wolfson on the ipods?

Chip-watching is part of the fun. Meizu, for example, recently released the SE version of their M8 phone; to my knowledge it's the first device in China to make use of one of Wolfson's "Generation 6" low-power audio chips, the WM8993.

One of the big changes over the last year has been the wide(r)spread use of solutions: the ChinaChip 1600 + Cirrus CS42L52, for example, was used by Onda, Ainol, Teclast, Cube and others and I just stopped counting the players after a while...a dozen, 20, more?? There's also one from SoChip used by Ainol, Teclast and ???. Now we're seeing these new Rockchip & Telechips platforms.

Quote:

And leaving one sort of corporate juggernaut for another.

The other part of the fun is that there is no juggernaut in China; you have a huge number of companies -big and small- fighting it out for buyers' RMB...and you have an exponentially larger number of ODM/OEMs ready to sell to those companies, or anyone else with money and a minimum order. The market is so fragmented and the number of players released so relentless, you think it just can't last. They're all living off the pure numbers involved and I guess the shakeout begins when income and expectations reach a critical mass and buyers start looking elsewhere. Right now, though, when a Cowon S9 is a good bit over $200, a flawed player that nevertheless can do much of what the S9 can for half the price (or less) makes a lot of sense.

Then there are the aforementioned SmartQ and Meizu, the companies that made early bets that DAPs are a dead end and the future is in MIDs and mobile phones with multimedia equal (meaning total codec support, high-res screen, 3.5mm jack, et al.) to a dedicated DAP/PMP...

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #116 of 1,468
Well, if, as a general rule, the weakness of Chinese players is indeed firmware, not hardware, then Android will give a real boost to Chinese offerings worldwide: it's ready, free, will benefit from updates, and will quickly be available in many languages.

As for DAPs being a dead end, probably. One day, my phone will also be my DAP. But anytime soon? I doubt it. We'd need much better batteries, as phones seem to dry them out very fast. And then there's also size: I bring my Sansa Clip to the gym; something the size of my phone would be a bother.

Teclast_T58.jpg

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #117 of 1,468
The follow post is cited from a Chinese forum. My english is bad. Sorry for the rough translation.
Ìý¹ýT51µÄ¼¯Öз¢±íһϿ´·¨£¬ÓÈÆäÊǹãÖݾۻáÒ»ÆðÌý¹ýµ Ä ¶ú»ú´ó¼Ò̳ ¶ú»ú,¶úÈû,¶ú»ú·Å´óÆ÷,ËæÉíÌý,DIY,ÒôÀÖ

今天的广州聚会听到了传说般的T51。I have Listened to T51today in GUANGZHOU Meeting.
总结性的评价方向:偏黑暗的,看的人注意情绪。 Overall impression is lean to dull feel.
声音比自己预想的好一点点,没有听M6的恶心感觉。----the sound quality is just a bit better than expection. The sound quality is not so upset as M6.
屏幕是电容屏,灵敏度不是一般的低,按得很痛苦,使用感觉很差。列表选歌的时候不爽,这点感觉比M8差很多 。
The touch screen has a very bad sensitivity. It is hard to press. It is much worse than M8.
主菜单看起来有点像文曲星的感觉,而且要用点力按下去才反应。
The main menu need pressed very hard then it reacts.
LO PO的借口有点问题,有些耳机插了插头好像插不紧,一会就退出来(这点是对部分插头,有些又不会,反正我今 天就是按着插头来听的)。而且不知道是什么原因,PO口用绿色的材料,LO反而用黑色(可能是台电什么原因 ,不过外面有文字标示,但是我第一次用,直接看颜色判断的时候就错了,要看文字来插~)。
LO PO interface has problems.some earphone jacks drop off from it.
音量调节很不爽,音量的转盘只露出一丁点,感觉要慢慢挖才挖出变化。总之调音量的不方便!使用 感觉不好!

The volume wheel is very bad. The wheel only appears a small part. It is very inconvenience.
手动换歌的时候,会嚎叫一声。应该是固件问题。而且机子本身反应比较慢,按暂停都要等一下(虽然不算长时间 ,不过明显有点延时。)
关于音质,今天没有怎么认真听。不过对比D50……算了还是别拿D50来对比,说其他~
If you change the tracks, it will have a howl. It could be the problems of firmware. The player has a very slow reaction when pressed, you need to have a hold when press the pause.

Refer to the sound quality, I have no serious listen to it. If compare to D50,-----, forget it, Don’t comparing it to D50.
总之,T51没能给我很好的感觉。现场的H320 飞碟 D50 D7 随便都比它好很多。

All in a world, T51 is not satisfed me. Among these players of H320, UFO D50 , D7, any one is better than T51.

不过T51推力真的算不错了。声音虽然有点遗憾,不过也对得起500的价格的(虽然现在799,不过国产嘛 ~一天一个价,很快就离目标价格不远了。我们要看远一点。)在IPC和T51之间,声音上我会选择T51。 我都忘了T51的声音了,记忆那听的感觉,跟听iriver的H10差不多,不能算很好,但也能算出到一点 好声。
But the boost power of T51 is not bad. Even though it is regret with it’s sound quality. But it is worth the price of USD 70 (now increase to usd 120, )I almost forget the sound quality of T51, it similar to IRIVER H10, The sound quality of T51 can’t considered very good. But not bad.
总之,我觉得,如果你贪图LO,别买T51(注意是别买!IPC ZVM比他好,工艺抵得上差价上的钱),如果你想做工好耐用好用,别买T51,如果你想买有实质性超越的声 音,也别买T51,如果你预算不多,顺便支持国货,而且还想一大堆杂七杂八的功能,T51才是你需要的。T 51的屏幕不算出色,只能说是彩屏。
只能说,如果T51把工艺和固件绝对搞好,才值799这个价。不然,真的很难下手。
If you want LO, please don’t buy T51,( be careful, IPC ZVM is much better than it,) if your desire a good craft and duration player, Don’t buy T51. if you want have a player with the essential breack through in the sound quality, don’t buy T51, if you have small budget,and want to support Chinese made products, and want to get lot of social functions, T51 is suit for you.

The scree is good, But only can be deem as a color screen.

I can only said, if the T51 will improve the craft and firmware, it is woth $120. Otherwise, it is hard to make my mind to buy it.

不过,声音确实在国产机里面有大提升,这点事无容置疑的,值得庆祝一下。

Though, among the Chinese made players, the sound quality is definitely has a big progress. It is worth to give applauses.

T51嘛,如果是烧友,我觉得用来试试就好了。那种质量,和使用感觉,会让你抓狂。
If you are an audiophile, I think just to have a try is enough. That kind of sound quality, and the playback functions will make you unhappy.

T51,认真你就输了!

T51, if we are serious, you are lost!!

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #119 of 1,468
Let me sumarized the chinese review in 2 words in english. It's sucks!

lol. after read the review, look like i will stay on with my iphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back