TEAC UD-H01 USB DAC
Jul 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #151 of 385
Hello again !

Just tested the solution provided by TJ ... however , the problem still exist . Well , maybe consider buying a digital coaxial converter is my only solution at this moment .

Anyway , thanks very much for your help , TJ !

Regards,
Kurz

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #152 of 385
Does this happen with a specific output? Direct Sound, Wasapi or asio? Does it happen in every application?

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #153 of 385
Dear TJ ,

Since I didn't install any additional driver except the one provided by TEAC , so I believe it is via direct sound . WASAPI and ASIO seems not working , but I didn't test it anymore after I reinstall my OS .

Actually , it doesn't even relate to any application . Even the "click" sound generate by Windows will yield the problem . For some case , even I played a FLAC file a minute ago , the problems appear right after I click on my personal folder .

Regards,
Kurz

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #154 of 385
I think the specs on this device headphone output are totally wrong. It says it has 2 x 50 mW output into 32 ohms... I think it has far more. I mean, it drivers the T1's with EASE. At about 2 o'clock on the knob its too loud to listen, but still powers it with authority and doesnt miss a beat. I think this thing has over 300 mW output into 600 ohm, because the T1 gets to its limit as far as loudness goes way before the knob on the UD-H01 gets to the end. Amazing device for the price. Makes the Nuforce HDP sound like a cheap toy in direct comparison, and also has more power.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #155 of 385
I use them with the 250 ohm Beyerdynamic T90 and never go past the 11:50 mark.

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #156 of 385
I use them with the 250 ohm Beyerdynamic T90 and never go past the 11:50 mark.

Thats why I say I dont believe their specs are correct. 50 mW into 32 ohm is very low, thats lower than most portable amps, but this thing has serious power, it could easily drive two T1's at the same time considering how much authority it has with one and the volume is not an issue at all.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #157 of 385
I`m relieved this thread has become focused on the UD-H01, and not how effing buggy windows computers are! (I mean really, people, this thing has worked flawlessly from first hook up on my Mac....)  

So my question is possibly bizarre.  I am just about to convert my HD800s to balanced (dual XLR) and am wondering, since Amarra has volume control, can I plug the headphones directly into the balanced outputs on the back, bypassing the volume control on the front?  I`m using the TEAC as a DAC, through my ALO Continental v2, and the TEAC`s volume is inoperable.  The HD800s sound good direct from the TEAC but noticeably better, of course, through the amp.  With the phones plugged directly into balanced out on the TEAC, will there be any amplification to drive them?  

Obviously I have almost no clue what I`m talking about . . .   Still, I`m curious.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #158 of 385
Sorry, your question is too technical for me. But I would like to agree that Windows may have the source of many of the earlier issues after the first driver updated. I had noticed a few days ago that after several Windows updates over the past several months I have'nt experienced any more crashes, even the ASIO driver seems more stable.
However the UD-H01 still seems to prevent power saving features in Windows.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #159 of 385
@dopaminer
Hello no unfortunately it will not work the way you wish it to :/ it's just a line out output in the end and the output impendance is way high.
Dont convert your headphones, enjoy them as is :wink: some don't hear the improvements of going balanced on headphones

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #161 of 385
I've had the UD-H01 for a few months now.  The balanced outputs are connected to a Little Dot MKVI+ and the single ended outputs are going to a Schiit Lyr.  It's connected via USB to an HP xw4600 workstation running Windows 7 Pro (32-bit).  I'm also using Teac's HR Audio Player.

The only other DAC I've used has been the Teac DS-H01, so unfortunately I can't compare the sound to the more popular DACs mentioned in this thread.

I spent many, many hours researching balanced DACs and eventually narrowed it down to the UD-H01, Emotiva XDA-2 and the Musical Fidelity M1DAC.  In the end I just couldn't bring myself to drop $800 on a DAC.  At least not at this point in time.  And I kind of like the idea of the dual DAC chips (that the Emotiva doesn't have) since this was primarily for a balanced amp.  Also the Burr-Brown in the DS-H01 sounded really good with the Schiit Asgard I used to have.

Anyway, all that to say, it's worth looking into if you're in the market for a new DAC.  I think the build quality is excellent, even though people didn't seem to like that the casing is plastic.  It's a high quality / solid plastic.

Installing the drivers wasn't an issue either.  Although it sounds like the original set of drivers were buggy.  The ones from 12-28-2012 on their site are fine.  Though I haven't tried them on an x64 machine.

And...  It doesn't have an external brick or wall wart.  I can't stand those things.

The only thing I don't like about it is the headphone amp.  I just wish it didn't have one so they could knock the price down a little bit.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #162 of 385
For about $24 you can add a nice high-power Tripath TA2024 based Class-T amp and 4-Pin Female XLR chassis connector to the UD-H01 for high quality balanced headphone output that can drive any headphone. The Tripath TA2024 is the amp chip in the very nice $89 Topping TP-10 amp. The TA2024 datasheet is here. I sourced the generic Tripath TA2024 amp board for $18 and a Neutrik 4-Pin Female XLR chassis connector for $6 from ebay. You'll be completely shocked how great these little amps sound with efficient speakers or high-end headphones.

This little amp sounds freakin' great with my HE-500 headphones. It also sounds great with AKG K240 Studio and Fostex modified T50RP headphones. It's dead quiet even at full volume. My max listening volume comes with about 40% volume so there's lots of headroom for 600 ohm headphones. I did listening tests between the Tripath amp and my Schiit Mjolnir balanced headphone amp. I'm not going to lie and say the Tripath is the Schiit's equal but the little Tripath amp definitely holds its own. It makes a great little balanced push-pull amp--seriously, you will be amazed at the sound quality. For $24 you can't go wrong.

The how-to can be found here: http://robrobinette.com/TEAC_UD-H01_Mod.htm

I have had problems with the UD-H01 locking up when using the USB interface with my Win 7 x64 computer. I now just use the optical output at 96k max.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #163 of 385
Is the headphone amplifier on this thing good enough to use? I am ordering this to take to school next year and am going to have it hooked up to an Xbox through optical and laptop through USB. Will I be disappointed with the sound quality coming out of the headphones amplifier? This is at the upper end of my budget. 

I have the Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 Ohm, Beyerdynamic COP and Sennheiser HD 558.

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #164 of 385
I have Sennheiser HD800s (300 ohms) and for quite a few months I have been listening through the UD-H01's phone jack and get a very pleasant sound. Bass is not heavy but it's nice and midrange and treble are lovely.

I compared it to a few years old Meier Corda Headamp MkII (using only the TEAC DAC) and found the TEAC superior. This could be the balanced cables used with the TEAC compared to RCA with the Corda though.

Anyway, the TEAC's headphone amp produces enjoyable music from my HD800s.

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #165 of 385
  Is the headphone amplifier on this thing good enough to use? I am ordering this to take to school next year and am going to have it hooked up to an Xbox through optical and laptop through USB. Will I be disappointed with the sound quality coming out of the headphones amplifier? This is at the upper end of my budget. 

I have the Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 Ohm, Beyerdynamic COP and Sennheiser HD 558.

I second what Hipper just said.  The TEAC`s amp is quality.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back