TDK BA200 Thread
Nov 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #331 of 1,509
Quote:

X2 ... I actually liked the SM2 more than the SM3. The SM3 was nice, but I felt the music was too close (no space). I sold the SM3 awhile ago, and the same guy just recently bought my SM2. They were good phones but I moved on. And I do like various sound signatures, although the JVC house sound is my favorite. I'm think that the IE500 will be close to the RE262 (especially in the mids) from what I've read.

That's strange because every review I've read says the SM3 has a very spacious soundstage with very good 3D presentation.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #333 of 1,509
Quote:
FOTM reviews.

SM3s can sound very closed in, ala UM3X. 

I don't think I'd call Joker's review a FOTM review and even he states it wider than average, "It is a fairly wide-sounding earphone – not the largest I’ve heard but clearly above average".  

Its goes on but the way he describes the soundstage along with many other peoples opinions who I trust all say pretty much the same thing.  I just don't see them sounding closed in especially with how good everyone says the 3D imaging is but I'll know soon enough.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #334 of 1,509
Imaging is good but size isn't big, many have stated so. Jokers review is relative, he's heard a lot of crap so it is going to be bigger than a lot of stuff he's heard

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #335 of 1,509
Quote:
Imaging is good but size isn't big, many have stated so. Jokers review is relative, he's heard a lot of crap so it is going to be bigger than a lot of stuff he's heard

Well I'll know tomorrow or should I say later on today but this has me very intrigued now to know what I'll think of the soundstage size.  Considering I don't listen to headphones at all and just IEM's I tend to think they'll sound above average but how much I don't know.

See though people like average_joe say it has a soudstage width as big as the IE8 so I don't see how these people that have review many quality IEM's can be so wrong, its all relative anyways because some that I think are large others don't.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #336 of 1,509
I don't think SM3 has a large soundstage. Maybe slightly larger than UM3X but that is all. Overall UM3X and SM3 are very similar headphones.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #337 of 1,509
It's all relative. I don't think the SM3 sounds closed-in at all relative to most BAs out there (I'm using the Sensorcom or the supplied double flange silicons). The stage size is fairly big, not short like the ER4 (with the triflange), and bigger than all dual TWFK IEM's I've heard, though not quite as expansive/open as the RE262 or EX600/1000. Width isn't SM3's main attraction anyway, the way it clearly separates the sounds while having the relatively thick sound is what makes it interesting.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #338 of 1,509
Quote:
It's all relative. I don't think the SM3 sounds closed-in at all relative to most BAs out there (I'm using the Sensorcom or the supplied double flange silicons). The stage size is fairly big, not short like the ER4 (with the triflange), and bigger than all dual TWFK IEM's I've heard, though not quite as expansive/open as the RE262 or EX600/1000. Width isn't SM3's main attraction anyway, the way it clearly separates the sounds while having the relatively thick sound is what makes it interesting.

See that's more of what I was think it would sound like, thanks for the info glac1er.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #339 of 1,509
Quote:
I don't think I'd call Joker's review a FOTM review and even he states it wider than average, "It is a fairly wide-sounding earphone – not the largest I’ve heard but clearly above average".  

Its goes on but the way he describes the soundstage along with many other peoples opinions who I trust all say pretty much the same thing.  I just don't see them sounding closed in especially with how good everyone says the 3D imaging is but I'll know soon enough.

I think the "special" thing about the SM3's soundstaging is that they have virtually no forward projection. Meaning, they place you onto the stage among the artists and you'll hear sounds originating from all around your head. The soundstage itself isn't particularly large or open, but their kind of "surround sound" presentation is fascinating for some and annoying for others. Btw, I've tried to illustrate the SM3's spatial presentation in this post.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #340 of 1,509
Nov 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #341 of 1,509
Have the IE800s in my ears now. Not enough listening time to really say anything other than I think the mids are excellent. I believe in burn in (especially with dynamic drivers), so it will be awhile before any substantial first impressions, but I'm not disappointed in the purchase at the moment. The signature reminds a little bit of the RE262. More later.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #342 of 1,509
So I have no way of knowing this, but based on what I have read I would think that the IE800 and the BA200 are quite close in sound signature (as close as dual dynamic and dual BA IEM can get being in the same family). Regardless, in very brief and initial impressions I must say I'm quite impressed. I wasn't in the first 20 minutes, as the sound seemed quite thin (but I know better and that dynamics need some time to blossom as I believe in burn in). Well, in about three hours of listening the sound is filling out quite nicely. 

What was noticeable and impressive right off the back are the mids. I was just telling someone in an inbox how amazing and progressively forward dynamics have become in having clarity and transparency that you could only get in a BA no more than two years ago. Clarity is outstanding in the IE800's mids and vocals. The only IEM that I can think of now that the IE800 comes close to is the RE262. The RE262 beats the IE800 in soundstage (not that IE800's soundstage is too close to the listener), but I think the IE800 may be the winner in vocal details. Clarity is almost draw (sometimes the TDK edging slightly ahead, and sometimes the Hifiman). I thought the RE262, but the IE800 is beginning to reveal it's great bass. The RE262, however, still has the better, fuller and more natural drums sound at the moment, although not by that much. Strings have more emotion and depth through the RE262, but again, not by that much. I think the IE800 is going to be the bass winner. The mids are so close between these two though, except has a wider soundstage than the other. This is a very good investment for $150. The sound is nice and smooth and refined. Depth and imaging are fantastic. Okay, back to more intense listening. Oh, the TDK respondes well to amping (listening through the Fiio E10/E9 combo right now).

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #343 of 1,509
Nice little review and I to think the IE800 and BA200 would sound very similar to one another.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #345 of 1,509
Eric hasn't heard the BA200 yet but from what ClieOS has said they have basically the same sound signature, like the IE800 is a dynamic driver version of the BA200.  I haven't heard the IE800 but I tend to think they would sound a lot alike because TDK is good at making everything have that warm smooth house sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back