TDK BA200 Thread
Nov 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #301 of 1,509
The thing I most want is 3-D imaging, but I'm afraid that the BA200s will be too warm for me and that the fit will be an issue.

There is warm sound and there is veil. The BA200 should be fine with the double flange tips. I was using the BA200 alongside the DBA-02 at one time, and while yes, the DBA-02 was brighter and more revealing, it wasn't like I was constantly wishing for more clarity from the BA200.

I highly doubt you'll have any fit issues if you've ever worn a Shure or Westone before. If the fit was fine with the R-50, then you should be fine.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #302 of 1,509
The BA200 is very good with imaging, really one of the best I've heard in that department.  They are warm but there not much warmer than the GR01, the only reason the GR01 sound less warm is the brighter highs but the BA200 still has the same amount of detail in the highs.  See to me they don't sound very veiled at all and I hear every little detail from the BA200 the same as the R-50, GR01 or GR07, I think because of the warmth and how smooth sounding they are makes them seem veiled.  Over all the BA200 is just a bit better than the GR01 imo plus you can get them for $149 which is around $30 to $50 cheaper than the GR01.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #303 of 1,509
What about the bass in the BA200s? From what I've read around, it seems like its not the IEM's strong suit, and I'd be loathe to miss out on the double basses and timpanis in an orchestral piece. Does anyone who listens to classical and voice with BA200 have any insights to share on this?

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #304 of 1,509
There is warm sound and there is veil. The BA200 should be fine with the double flange tips. I was using the BA200 alongside the DBA-02 at one time, and while yes, the DBA-02 was brighter and more revealing, it wasn't like I was constantly wishing for more clarity from the BA200.
I highly doubt you'll have any fit issues if you've ever worn a Shure or Westone before. If the fit was fine with the R-50, then you should be fine.

The BA200 is very good with imaging, really one of the best I've heard in that department.  They are warm but there not much warmer than the GR01, the only reason the GR01 sound less warm is the brighter highs but the BA200 still has the same amount of detail in the highs.  See to me they don't sound very veiled at all and I hear every little detail from the BA200 the same as the R-50, GR01 or GR07, I think because of the warmth and how smooth sounding they are makes them seem veiled.  Over all the BA200 is just a bit better than the GR01 imo plus you can get them for $149 which is around $30 to $50 cheaper than the GR01.

Thanks for the replies guys! Do you think that I'll like the sound of these if I liked the sound of the R-50s?

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #305 of 1,509
If your referring to the BA200 absolutely, they're a good step up from the R-50.  I'd say the BA200 is a bit warmer but the have close to the same sound signature as both are very balanced with the R-50 having a little more sparkle in the highs.  The BA200 is so so smooth, they're the most effortless sounding IEM I've heard and one of the few that I can listen to at lower volumes and still really enjoy them.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #306 of 1,509
I generally don't have much of a problem. Pairs of shures and klipschs I had a few years ago fit fine, as do a pair of 8320s and ckm 500s. The R-50's memory wire was the problem for me -- really irritating. I think it would've been fine otherwise -- unfortunately I liked the sound quite a bit. The problem with the MH1C's for me is the flat cord + the j-wire don't have enough give for me, so it forces the bud out of my ear. I do use my IEMs in the gym at times, and other times I'm forced to take them in and out, so ease-of-fit and need for mobility is key for me.
Right now I'm looking at:
Brainwavs B-2
GR01
BA200
The thing I most want is 3-D imaging + soundstange, but I'm afraid that the BA200s will be too warm for me (frankly I'm not wild about the CKM-500s) and that the fit will be an issue. The problem is that I haven't seen an IEM that's been described as leaning analytical with 3-D imaging + wide/deep soundstage that's in my price range.

I should have the ba200 today. I'll let you know my impressions asap

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #307 of 1,509
If your referring to the BA200 absolutely, they're a good step up from the R-50.  I'd say the BA200 is a bit warmer but the have close to the same sound signature as both are very balanced with the R-50 having a little more sparkle in the highs.  The BA200 is so so smooth, they're the most effortless sounding IEM I've heard and one of the few that I can listen to at lower volumes and still really enjoy them.

It might be dangerous to say the BA200 is a step up... :wink: ...especially when you're the first person to really promote the R-50... I'd say it's probably a very nice side-grade with different sound signature. :D

@wilsonx: Have you looked at the first page of this thread? If you look at the FR, it's basically an ER4S with a low-to-mid-low-frequency boost. I'd prefer a lesser boost, but still, the midrange to treble is actually very accurate. Despite reports of it being 'soft' in the treble, it's actually very, very well-extended.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #308 of 1,509
Quote:
It might be dangerous to say the BA200 is a step up...
wink.gif
...especially when you're the first person to really promote the R-50... I'd say it's probably a very nice side-grade with different sound signature.
biggrin.gif

@wilsonx: Have you looked at the first page of this thread? If you look at the FR, it's basically an ER4S with a low-to-mid-low-frequency boost. I'd prefer a lesser boost, but still, the midrange to treble is actually very accurate. Despite reports of it being 'soft' in the treble, it's actually very, very well-extended.

Have you heard the R-50?  Also I might have been the first person to find and promote them but there's plenty of people that also do.  I've recommended the BA200 to a few that had the R-50 and most of them think its a nice little step up, not huge but a bit better.  The BA200 has a more full sound along with better imaging imo.  I guess you could say it a side step also it just depends on what your looking for in an IEM.

I hope my SM3 V2 isn't a side step from the BA200 or I'll be pretty disappointed :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #309 of 1,509
Have you heard the R-50?  Also I might have been the first person to find and promote them but there's plenty of people that also do.  I've recommended the BA200 to a few that had the R-50 and most of them think its a nice little step up, not huge but a bit better.  The BA200 has a more full sound along with better imaging imo.  I guess you could say it a side step also it just depends on what your looking for in an IEM.

I hope my SM3 V2 isn't a side step from the BA200 or I'll be pretty disappointed :)

Nope, but I've heard the DBA-02, DBA-02 MKII, GR01, UE700, so I know what to expect. Also, of the list of earphones that you rank, I've only not heard the crossed-out ones:

BA200 >= e-Q5 > RE262 = R-50 >= FAD Heaven IV >= TF10 >= e-Q7 > Heir 3.Ai > GR07 > MH1C = EPH-100 >= FA Tandem > SE425 = W2 > HF5 = PFE 112 > A161p > Hippo VB > XBA-1 = MG7 > Aurvana IE3 > PS 210 > T-Peos H-100 = FXT90 > R-30 = R-20

The SM3V2 is more of a side step... It has better midrange body and presence, and that's... about it. Perhaps a tiny bit more detail, but not much, if at all.

I do believe the impedance-stabilizing y-split is sucking away some detail; hopefully, one of these days, I can do a mod on the BA200 and do a recable with it, and leave out the y-split.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #310 of 1,509
I still think I'll like the SM3 a bit more than the BA200 so if they do sound a lot alike then the BA200 will be up for sale though it would be smart to keep in case something happens to the SM3.

If you like a warmer sound signature stay away from the H-100, far far away :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #311 of 1,509

OK, cool. They just dropped $10 on Amazon to $140, so I think I'll be pulling the trigger...

It might be dangerous to say the BA200 is a step up... :wink: ...especially when you're the first person to really promote the R-50... I'd say it's probably a very nice side-grade with different sound signature. :D

I've read the whole thread, but I have no idea how to read FR curves :xf_eek: I think it sounds like it's worth the risk. If I buy through Amazon then I'll be able to return it, in the event that the sound/fit is not to my tastes.

Cheers :beerchug:

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #312 of 1,509
I think your going to like but it is nice ordering through Amazon because of their return policy.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #313 of 1,509
Nope, but I've heard the DBA-02, DBA-02 MKII, GR01, UE700, so I know what to expect. Also, of the list of earphones that you rank, I've only not heard the crossed-out ones:
BA200 >= e-Q5 > RE262 = R-50 >= FAD Heaven IV >= TF10 >= e-Q7 > Heir 3.Ai > GR07 > MH1C = EPH-100 >= FA Tandem > SE425 = W2 > HF5 = PFE 112 > A161p > Hippo VB > XBA-1 = MG7 > Aurvana IE3 > PS 210 > T-Peos H-100 = FXT90 > R-30 = R-20
The SM3V2 is more of a side step... It has better midrange body and presence, and that's... about it. Perhaps a tiny bit more detail, but not much, if at all.
I do believe the impedance-stabilizing y-split is sucking away some detail; hopefully, one of these days, I can do a mod on the BA200 and do a recable with it, and leave out the y-split.

I've had the DBA-02 and I'm very interested in the DBA-02 MKII. How would you say those compare VS the BA200?

Thanks

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #314 of 1,509
I will have to stop reading this forum!  just got my FXT90L2 back in January and though I loved it, I wanted little more depth and width.  From what you posted so far it sounded like BA200 definitely have that.  I'm curious as to what I would gain coming from FXT90L2.

thanks for sharing.. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #315 of 1,509
Quote:
I still think I'll like the SM3 a bit more than the BA200 so if they do sound a lot alike then the BA200 will be up for sale though it would be smart to keep in case something happens to the SM3.

If you like a warmer sound signature stay away from the H-100, far far away :)

Loooking at the IEMs you like, I'm sorry to tell you this but I don't think you will like SM3s a lot. I think you really value clarity and SM3 was too thick and smooth so it actually sounded quite veiled to me. It is also quite dark in my opinion. I think you should try Westone 4 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back