TAOBAO GOLDPLANAR GL850 + GL1000 + GL1200
Apr 27, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #46 of 112
Yes but not so much in bass region - according to headphone show he said they aren’t the most detailed headphones but I 100% disagree
And the frequency graphs is and never will mean anything to me - if that were the case we would all own JBL desk top monitors or B&W but those graphs never tell you about image and timing two thing the ribbons on the GL1200 do better than anything - I also don’t like detail monsters like the Focal utopia - the gl1200 detail plenty and any more would too much- they wouldn’t be an all day driver without listener fatigue - the way they are now are nearly ideal
As someone who came from Raal, I can say yes they are more details, have better technicality, but that was also the problem as it made most recordings sound horrible. Unless I'm listening to well recorded sources only, it's far from an ideal musical enjoyment.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #47 of 112
true too much detail IS NEVER something I look for in an everyday driver - the GL1200 do just about everything better than fine nearly ideal as ideal comes

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #48 of 112
Yes but not so much in bass region - according to headphone show he said they aren’t the most detailed headphones but I 100% disagree
And the frequency graphs is and never will mean anything to me - if that were the case we would all own JBL desk top monitors or B&W but those graphs never tell you about image and timing two thing the ribbons on the GL1200 do better than anything - I also don’t like detail monsters like the Focal utopia - the gl1200 detail plenty and any more would too much- they wouldn’t be an all day driver without listener fatigue - the way they are now are nearly ideal
There's a chance he hasnt fully burn-in the set yet.
The GL850 is not as detailed as Shure KSE1200 but I felt it has wider dynamic range. Some music it's like "Wow" on the GL850.
Like this song
At 2-3secs you can hear the breathing in KSE very clearly but not on GL850 however range seems to extend alot more.
In photography terms KSE is like super high resolution image but the colours are not as wide as the GL850 where it's "picture quality' is slightly softer

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #49 of 112
I am 100% sure he will not change his mind-even after burn in- he is a graph guy

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #50 of 112
There's a chance he hasnt fully burn-in the set yet.
The GL850 is not as detailed as Shure KSE1200 but I felt it has wider dynamic range. Some music it's like "Wow" on the GL850.
Like this song
At 2-3secs you can hear the breathing in KSE very clearly but not on GL850 however range seems to extend alot more.
In photography terms KSE is like super high resolution image but the colours are not as wide as the GL850 where it's "picture quality' is slightly softer

very smooth I just added that thank you!
plus I updated the review cleaned it up

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/gold-planar-gl1200.25000/reviews#review-25728

try this next

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #51 of 112
That is totally false. Also electrostatic headphones are not just limited to Stax. I hate Stax signature for that matter. Only problem with eStat is to get best sound out of them, your AMP requirements are high. Really no different than AMP needs for GL1200/SR1a. Good news, if you are inclined is to get an ifi i-esl, which is a state of the art energizer that allows you to power eStat with the same AMP that would power the GL1200. What's more is the same AMP can also now power your Planar/dynamic headphones through the XLR headphone output from i-esl. I was powering my SR1a, Stax 009 and Susvara all from the same AMP.
Thanks for the reply. I have just discovered Ifi Audio's Pro iESL but does it make a lot better than Stax amp&energiser? I recently bought Nectar Hive and it have quite nice dynamics of course not planar magnetic level but cleaner, faster and smoother sound. I have not heard any Stax electrostatic headphones. My assumption is based what I have readed.

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #52 of 112
Thanks for the reply. I have just discovered Ifi Audio's Pro iESL but does it make a lot better than Stax amp&energiser? I recently bought Nectar Hive and it have quite nice dynamics of course not planar magnetic level but cleaner, faster and smoother sound. I have not heard any Stax electrostatic headphones. My assumption is based what I have readed.
yes, stax amp and energizers are quite terrible. iESL is a totally different league. It has no coloring, so if you have a good speaker amp that you enjoy, that's the sound signature you will hear out of the iESL. I have the Hive and when properly driven it is ToTL sounding. Hive is harder to drive than my stax 009 was by 10db!

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #53 of 112
That is totally false. Also electrostatic headphones are not just limited to Stax. I hate Stax signature for that matter. Only problem with eStat is to get best sound out of them, your AMP requirements are high. Really no different than AMP needs for GL1200/SR1a. Good news, if you are inclined is to get an ifi i-esl, which is a state of the art energizer that allows you to power eStat with the same AMP that would power the GL1200. What's more is the same AMP can also now power your Planar/dynamic headphones through the XLR headphone output from i-esl. I was powering my SR1a, Stax 009 and Susvara all from the same AMP.

That's kind of you, thanks :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 4, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #54 of 112
Has anyone compared the GL1200 to the Heddphone side by side? I'd be interested in impressions of the two compared to one another.

May 6, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #56 of 112
2 days after I order them from Linsoul. F*ck me.

UPDATE: Well, that was much less painful than I expected... I sent an inquiry to Linsoul this morning asking that my order be canceled. Given that it was the middle of the night their time, I wasn't looking for a response any time soon, and honestly expected a "nope, sorry" response. No personal reply from anyone, but I just got an email saying that my order had been canceled.

So I turned around and now ordered them from Drop. Unfortunately I have to pay sales tax through Drop whereas I didn't through Linsoul, but Linsoul charged for shipping. It ended up being a savings of $153 when all was said and done. Not a ton, but I'll take it... every little bit helps.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #58 of 112
Linsoul is sending me the other ribbon to compare - so stay tuned for review on those- bad news is no price match for refund between $1399 to the drop $1199

May 11, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #59 of 112
What is the cost if we want to buy the alternate ribbon as an accessory? Is that an option?

May 14, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #60 of 112
I just got the gold ribbon and man what they heck is Linsoul thinking not offering both? OMG the bass and texture with the gold is sooo much better. I just updated my review here on head-fi. It doesnt even need break in period like the crazy silver one since the gold is designed to flex alot more out of box... crazy awesome dynamics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back